About To Give Up On These Boards!!

TUG uses essentially the same software, has a lot more members, more boards, more allowances for email, uses the regular search feature of the software system and is very fast overall. I wonder what the difference is.

Dean, where are you getting numbers to make that statement?

I looked at the TUG board, and found the following differences:

TUG: 32 boards, DIS: 58 boards
TUG: 23,939 users, DIS: 157,000 users
TUG: 39,000 threads, DIS: 1.5 million threads
TUG: 333,000 posts, DIS: 20 million posts

Largest number of users ever on line at one time:
TUG: 490 on 07/14/07, DIS: over 3,200

At 10:50 on Thursday night, the number of users actually on line:
TUG: 178, DIS: 2,093

On average the DIS has between 2,500 and 3,000 users on line during the early evening hours.

TUG has nowhere near the 'traffic' the DIS handles. The I/O differences are dramatic. Check the most active board on TUG, and the last posting on page one was 34 hours old.

The most active board on the DIS is the community board. The last post on page one there is 50 minutes old. To find the last post there that is 34 hours old, you have to go all the way to the middle of page 6. And that's just one board and just represents the number of 'active' threads over that time. If you want to look at actual posts, You'd have to check the time stamps on each post for each thread.

Just as an example, This Thread reached 10 pages in less than 15 hours. That's about 500 posts alone for just that one thread. And there are other threads with even more activity than that.

Show me any single thread on TUG that gets 500 posts in 15 hours.

There are numerous other DISboards that have high traffic where posts slide to page 2 way before 34 hours. So as mentioned, the Input/Output loads on the TUG server are nowhere near what they are on the DIS. To make a blanket statement that insinuates the TUG boards have a higher server load than the DIS is not only ridiculous, but insulting to the people working hard to make these boards work.

Dean, where are you getting numbers to make that statement?
LOL, I guess that's what I get for making assumptions based on my little part of the world, I stand corrected. Still there are features and functions on TUG that are not found on DIS, work slower, are more hardware intensive, etc. I'd think a contact to their IT would be potentially helpful.

LOL, I guess that's what I get for making assumptions based on my little part of the world, I stand corrected. Still there are features and functions on TUG that are not found on DIS, work slower, are more hardware intensive, etc. I'd think a contact to their IT would be potentially helpful.

It's really not that simple. Search is a great example. After about 2 million posts the default search that comes with vbulletin just dies. It's a problem for all big board owners. Once you get to a certain size a lot of unique problems start to appear. I suspect TUG will find out :)

I'm curious what you mean since both boards use VBulletin Software. The DIS uses ver 3.6.5 while TUG uses 3.6.4

What features and functions are you talking about that are found on TUG but not on the DIS? Maybe you can list a few?

We have Admin people and they have Admin people, but as far as the software IT goes, that would be the VBulletin people who would be the same for either the DIS or TUG.

Things that 'work slower' or are more 'hardware intensive' are strictly due to the size and loads on the boards, not because of any software differences. The DIS is like a Los Angeles freeway with lots of traffic. TUG's traffic is closer to small town America. (I live in small town America, and the worse traffic we get here is "Rush Minute" when one of the local factories finishes for the day..:rotfl: Or if there's a funeral procession. I'm not kidding. I don't think I've ever seen any of our traffic intersections at any of our five traffic lights have cars backed up more than about 6 or 7 deep. And yes, I've driven in L.A., and Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas...just about any major city you can name, so I know what heavy traffic can be like.)

If TUG's boards were the size of the DIS boards, with the same loads, they would have the exact same problems. So how would contacting "their IT people" be helpful. Especially since it's the VBulletin people who are telling us that we are pushing the limits of their software.

I'm curious what you mean since both boards use VBulletin Software. The DIS uses ver 3.6.5 while TUG uses 3.6.4

What features and functions are you talking about that are found on TUG but not on the DIS? Maybe you can list a few?

We have Admin people and they have Admin people, but as far as the software IT goes, that would be the VBulletin people who would be the same for either the DIS or TUG.

Things that 'work slower' or are more 'hardware intensive' are strictly due to the size and loads on the boards, not because of any software differences. The DIS is like a Los Angeles freeway with lots of traffic. TUG's traffic is closer to small town America. (I live in small town America, and the worse traffic we get here is "Rush Minute" when one of the local factories finishes for the day..:rotfl: Or if there's a funeral procession. I'm not kidding. I don't think I've ever seen any of our traffic intersections at any of our five traffic lights have cars backed up more than about 6 or 7 deep. And yes, I've driven in L.A., and Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas...just about any major city you can name, so I know what heavy traffic can be like.)

If TUG's boards were the size of the DIS boards, with the same loads, they would have the exact same problems. So how would contacting "their IT people" be helpful. Especially since it's the VBulletin people who are telling us that we are pushing the limits of their software.
I'm not sure the exact version as both have changed periodically over the years but if that would fix the problem, I'd say consider backtracking. Off the top of my head the things that are different in favor of TUG are these.
  • The Search feature works and works well.
  • I believe TUG allows larger sized signatures and pictures but can't check right now.
  • TUG still lists all members as well as allowing you to search for a member and listing an icon to allow direct email or PM from that listing.
  • As noted, it is much faster.
  • The have longer thread pages, I'm guessing about 3-4 times as long. Given the slower DIS, that would be a plus but realize it would likely slow things down even more.

I'm not sure the exact version as both have changed periodically over the years but if that would fix the problem, I'd say consider backtracking. Off the top of my head the things that are different in favor of TUG are these.
  • The Search feature works and works well.
  • I believe TUG allows larger sized signatures and pictures but can't check right now.
  • TUG still lists all members as well as allowing you to search for a member and listing an icon to allow direct email or PM from that listing.
  • As noted, it is much faster.
  • The have longer thread pages, I'm guessing about 3-4 times as long. Given the slower DIS, that would be a plus but realize it would likely slow things down even more.

Hey Dean
The search feature will work well on a board of that size, over a certain size and it dies, it's a known issue
We used to have unlimited signatures, they weren't limited for performance issues but to keep page sizes reasonable. The feedback from members was overwhelmingly positive on that change
The speed is a matter of database size and some other issues but we have worked that out over the last 48 hours and I don't see how anyone could be much faster than we are now
I've never had anyone ask for longer thread pages, so I have never even thought about it.

Hey Dean
The search feature will work well on a board of that size, over a certain size and it dies, it's a known issue
We used to have unlimited signatures, they weren't limited for performance issues but to keep page sizes reasonable. The feedback from members was overwhelmingly positive on that change
The speed is a matter of database size and some other issues but we have worked that out over the last 48 hours and I don't see how anyone could be much faster than we are now
I've never had anyone ask for longer thread pages, so I have never even thought about it.
Longer pages works better for longer threads as having to open multiple new pages compounds the slowness issue but makes no difference for shorter thread's. Would it make those threads even slower to open, my guess is yes but still likely worth it. It also helps when searching to a degree. If you go back to my first post you'll realize I'm not complaining, only stating, as it seems there has been some defensiveness from the admin side on this issue. I am, and always have been, appreciative for having DIS though to be faster would be a plus. I'm a little unclear on the reluctance to contact TUG for any information they may have learned on these issues, differences or not, is there a history I'm not aware of? Also, would it be possible to split the BBS into 2 separate sets, maybe break off the non Disney portions totally and run them separately, again, only brainstorming.

Hi Dean,
I just don't see a reason to contact them because their problems aren't the same as ours. There are seperate forums etc for large forums and I do contact people in those, we have the same issues.
I think what might have come off as defensiveness was confusion, the boards have been lightening fast for the past 48 hours so we were wondering why this was coming up now.
Splitting the forums would be possible, of course but it would mean twice as much hardware etc.
Alex

I looked at the TUG board, and found the following differences:

TUG: 32 boards, DIS: 58 boards
TUG: 23,939 users, DIS: 157,000 users
TUG: 39,000 threads, DIS: 1.5 million threads
TUG: 333,000 posts, DIS: 20 million posts

Largest number of users ever on line at one time:
TUG: 490 on 07/14/07, DIS: over 3,200

At 10:50 on Thursday night, the number of users actually on line:
TUG: 178, DIS: 2,093

On average the DIS has between 2,500 and 3,000 users on line during the early evening hours.

All I can say to those numbers is "Holy Smackarollie!" :)

Viva DIS!

on Friday we were seeing over 3200 users on line at peak... I suspect we will beat that this coming week with the increased speed

Hi Dean,
I just don't see a reason to contact them because their problems aren't the same as ours. There are seperate forums etc for large forums and I do contact people in those, we have the same issues.
I think what might have come off as defensiveness was confusion, the boards have been lightening fast for the past 48 hours so we were wondering why this was coming up now.
Splitting the forums would be possible, of course but it would mean twice as much hardware etc.
Alex
Glad to hear it as you and Bill came across as somewhat upset. The boards haven't been fast for me. Actually for a long time they seem to hesitate then load all at once like it's an authentication issue, this is true no matter what computer or system type I'm using. As I'm sure you're aware, what we peons see is the end result. I do have a lot of experience with large, cumbersome software where if you change one thing that seems simple, it has a lot of unintended effects so I do realize nothing is ever as simple as it seems as your posts point out. When I get home in over a week I'll have to see how they do on my home Mac.

Hello, Alex . . .

On an unrelated note, when does one become a "DIS Veteran?" I'm wondering if I haven't changed from Mouseketeer because of my sponsor icon. I've noticed others with much lower counts already a "Veteran."

Just curious.

Hello, Alex . . .

On an unrelated note, when does one become a "DIS Veteran?" I'm wondering if I haven't changed from Mouseketeer because of my sponsor icon. I've noticed others with much lower counts already a "Veteran."

Just curious.

Mike: DIS Veteran kicks in at 500 posts, so you qualify for that title. As you know, the sponsor icon is special so the titles are entered manually as they do not default automatically. (If left at default, they would erase the sponsor icon when a user hits the next level.)

I changed your title to DIS Veteran.

If you would prefer your 'title' directly beneath your username, with your sponsorship directly below that, just let me know. That's probably the way most people have theirs.

Thanks for your support

Mike: DIS Veteran kicks in at 500 posts, so you qualify for that title. As you know, the sponsor icon is special so the titles are entered manually as they do not default automatically. (If left at default, they would erase the sponsor icon when a user hits the next level.)

I changed your title to DIS Veteran.

If you would prefer your 'title' directly beneath your username, with your sponsorship directly below that, just let me know. That's probably the way most people have theirs.

Thanks for your support

I thought it might have been because of the sponsor icon.

Yes, I would like the title directly beneath my username as others have theirs. I appreciate it.

And, as I have said before, I appreciate even more all that the group of you do to keep the DIS functioning for us. What a great community!

I thought it might have been because of the sponsor icon.

Yes, I would like the title directly beneath my username as others have theirs. I appreciate it.

And, as I have said before, I appreciate even more all that the group of you do to keep the DIS functioning for us. What a great community!

OK, you're all set. I moved it, and also put a blank line in between your 'title' and your sponsor icon to kind of space it out a little.

OK, you're all set. I moved it, and also put a blank line in between your 'title' and your sponsor icon to kind of space it out a little.

Many thanks!

By the way, in regards to this sponsorship thing . . . I became a lifetime sponsor a while back, but am wondering how finances are for the DIS. Reading about all the posts that we get, all the traffic we handle, the equipment necessary for it, is there a need for more funding from some of us peons?

I really would not mind contributing something extra to the project if there is a need and if I know how to go about doing it.

If you would, let me know if there is a need for further assistance.

Again, thanks.

Many thanks!

By the way, in regards to this sponsorship thing . . . I became a lifetime sponsor a while back, but am wondering how finances are for the DIS. Reading about all the posts that we get, all the traffic we handle, the equipment necessary for it, is there a need for more funding from some of us peons?

I really would not mind contributing something extra to the project if there is a need and if I know how to go about doing it.

If you would, let me know if there is a need for further assistance.

Again, thanks.

Hi Mike:

As Tech Support/Moderator (which is a volunteer unpaid position), I don't personally know the specific financial situation of the DIS, except that it's pretty expensive to keep this site going every month.

Feel free to send a PM to WebmasterCorey. He handles the sponsors and can tell you how to make a 'donation' if you wish.

Bill

Hi Mike:

As Tech Support/Moderator (which is a volunteer unpaid position), I don't personally know the specific financial situation of the DIS, except that it's pretty expensive to keep this site going every month.

Feel free to send a PM to WebmasterCorey. He handles the sponsors and can tell you how to make a 'donation' if you wish.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Doing that now . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter