• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about what I need to drop cable

pixxi

Mouseketeer
We have older tv's and we don't have a USB port on the tv. I understand I will need an antena, and a device (roku type thing) and probably fast internet coverage. We have an xbox 360 and I understand we can utilize that for streaming things like hulu but I have never tried that. If we use that instead of buying a device will that wear down the xbox for a quicker electronic death?

What kind of device would be recommended to get for our other tv that doesn't have anything to connect it with to stream?

I see all kinds of chromecast, roku, amazon fire...and have no idea what I will need...especially since I don't have a usb port.

I also wonder if anyone dropped cable (we still need phone for children and also internet) and the price be compairable to paying for the phone,internet and the hulu,amazon,netfix,sling type memberships.

Please share with me you knowledge and experience to help me with my decision.

I am very interested in this topic as well. We do have a USB port on TV, and already have a Netflix account, and a Roku sitting in box unused (just got it).

My biggest worry is getting local channels after dropping cable. What kind of antenna do most people get? I am tired of paying Charter so much money each month when I know there is a better way.

I have regular rabbit ears. Never had cable and can get a lot of channels. I'm in the Inland Empire of Southern California.

KCBS
2-1
2-2

KNBC
4-1
4-2
4-3
4-4

KTLA
5-1
5-2
5-3

KABC
7-1
7-2
7-3

KCAL
9-1

KTTV (FOX)
11-1
11-2

KCOP
13-1
13-2

KSCI
18-1 all the way through 18-8

and so forth, all the way up until channel 62.

I got the rabbit ears at Target for $29.99-49.99 (I forgot the price). We have Wi-Fi but don't stream Netflix or anything. Anything on broadcast TV that I can't stay up for (other than CBS), I wait the 10 days to watch or go and watch at a friend's house (the friend that has cable)

I don't know tech information but we have not had cable in over 2 years and do not miss it at all!! We do have a antenna which is made out of what looks like plastic (says RCA on it) and is hooked to the wall above the TV. We catch local channels just fine, and we have hooked up a Roko and can get Netflix and Hulu plus using it (you do have to have Wifi to use Roku). We have plenty to watch.

I will try to answer, if you have an older television that does not have HDMI (not USB) you will need an RCA to HDMI adapter. RCA is the separate red, white and yellow connectors that plug into the television. I have an old tube type television and that is what I used to hook up my ROKU. Since you have an older television, I am assuming also that you don't have a Digital tuner. You will need to get a digital tuner converter box. You can get one at most electronic stores and that will connect to your cable-RG6 connector. You will need a short patch cable to go from that to the television. You will use channel 3 on your television for all of your digital channels. The converter box acts a tuner (think cable) to allow you choose the digital channels, that will come from your new digital antenna. You can "try" the lowest cost digital antenna- I use rabbit ears and I get about 15 channels in the St. Louis area- I am about 30 miles from the stations. You can also get a powered/amplified antenna, which may help if you are not close enough. the digital antenna has a cable connector and hooks up to the input of your converter box.

So, it may be easier and less expensive in the long run to just buy a new digital television. those have HDMI inputs, necessary to "stream" and also include the digital tuner.
With that you just plug in your streaming device- Roku, firestick,apple TV, chromecast, or even a hdmi output on a computer ( I have Playon on my computer and run that through my Roku). and connect your digital anteanna to your television and you are good to go.

We got rid of satellite 5-6 years ago. We've always had Netflix and used our PS3 as our "media hub" for movies, netflix, etc. YES, it will wear down the console a lot faster if you use it this way. I'm surprised our PS3 still runs (sounds like a plane taking off). I imagine if you can get everyone in your household to remember to turn the XBOX off, that would extend its life. I had no such luck lol About a year or so ago we got a Roku and I really love it. We connect it to our TV with HDMI.

Just recently we decided to try for OTA channels. We get the major networks and that's it (live in a rather small city). But, that's pretty much all we need so it works for me! We bought a super cheap RCA antenna that looks like a square flat piece of plastic. Its not great, but was only $35 at Best Buy. We weren't sure we were going to get ANY channels. Instead of hooking this up to our TV (and depend on the TVs digital tuners), we bought a 4 tuner Tablo. Oh man, I am in LOVE with this device! It is pricey, but SO worth it for us (plus I used perk/swagbucks money to buy it on Amazon!). Its OTA DVR. They offer a data subscription that shows you whats on and records automatically (like by show, new only vs reruns, etc). The subscription $5/mo or $149 lifetime, very helpful but not required. The 4 tuners allow you to watch a show while recording 3 at the same time (or record 4). They offer a 2 tuner model too. You hook up an external harddrive to the Tablo to store all your recordings, and hook the Tablo to a wireless router. They have apps to stream it to Roku/phones/ipads/etc.

Check out tvfool.com or antennaweb.org to see what channels you get OTA. I'd rec. antennaweb, it seems a little easier to figure out what antenna you might need. But, tvfool has a community support forum that could be very helpful too.

Last edited:
If you plan to do this to any satisfaction, you are going to need to get a new TV. It would probably best to buy a Smart TV that already has the Hulu, Netflix, etc aps on the TV instead of buying a TV plus a streaming device. You will also need to make sure that you have good high speed internet, a modem that can handle the speed and a wireless router that can also handle that speed. For over the air, you will need an antenna, there are many at many price points. It will all depend on where you live and how far you are from the towers and other environmental factors. I live within range if at least 3 networks, but live in a densely tree lined lot that is kind of sunk between houses and I can't pick up a signal yet; I'm going to have to try a roof top if I want those channels.

Cable internet is my only high speed option so I'm still paying for that a la carte at $60/mo. I'm probably saving about $40/mo by not having the TV portion and that is fine! After just over a year, I can say I don't miss it.

Just an FYI, especially with holiday sales coming up, a lot of Blu-Ray players have access to different online features, such as Netflix and Hulu. That is how I normally access Netflix. As long as the player works with your television, you would not have to worry about wearing out your xbox.

I am interested to know if you all have unlimited data for your internet to run these services. We live in an area where we cannot get unlimited data for our internet, so DH and I share 30 GBs for both computers, DH's phone (I still have unlimited on my phone), and then we'd have to add in the TV as well.

Since you have older style TV's , the Black Friday special on Roku SE ($25) would work for you. It connects to older tv's without an adapter.

We have a roof antenna, a Netflix subscription (about $10/month), and use MagicJack for our home phone. If you have high-speed internet, MagicJack is a great cost savings for phone. $60 for the unit and it includes 12 months of service. Then $35/year or $99/5years after that. We've had Magic Jack for about 6 years.

Our roof antenna gets us local channels, but the local news stations also have free roku stations (apps) that have all the local news items that can be watched at your convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter