• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AC broken :(

kimmyann

DIS Veteran
Just complaining since I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. The hottest week of the summer so far & of course my ac decided to break. What is even more irritating is that I called my landlord (yes we rent) at 8:30 this morning & left a message, didn't hear anything so I called back at 11:00. At 12 I emailed him (thinking maybe his phone was not with him or broke...) he emailed back that it was a busy day & he was in the process of contacting someone to fix it. Never heard a peep so I emailed him again at 6:30 & said that I guess no one would be out today & an hour later he emailed back that he was waiting for a call back from someone to fix it.

We have lived here for five years & rarely do we ever call him for anything. I just feel his attitude towards it is irritating, but then again the heat itself is irritating to me right now. It's after 11pm & still 86 degrees in my house. It's not 86 in his house, I'm sure. I just think he should have acknowledged me with a phone call at least. Or, if you can't get a hold of one of your people (he uses various people to fix things, never a company) then you need to contact a real company to fix a problem. Okay, I'm done venting now.:sad1:

I sympathize. Our A/C went out too but the whole system is shot. We are using window units for now but I remember how it felt when we first lost the system.

Hopefully someone will be there tomorrow!

I'm so sorry this has happened, but look on the bright did if this. A least the repair cost won't come out of your pocket because that can get pricy. Been there, done that and couldn't afford the t-shirt!

Alternatively, you can let him know that ou will be calling a repair company, submitting a receipt and deducting the cost of the repairs from the rent until it is paid off.

And make sure he understands that you will only call a reputable company and that they certainly won't be as cheap as his.

This is allowed everywhere as far as I know, but some states may have certain things that you must do first to allow this.

I don't even have central air.

I just HAD to have the beautiful old house that needs a ton of updating and remodeling!:rotfl:

We don't even have duct work.

I feel your pain sister.

(Yes we have window units, but we needs new windows making them essentially useless.)

When we have a heat wave it seems everyone's air breaks. Mine stopped working a couple weeks ago on a Thursday. Called the AC repair company in the afternoon left message they got back to me that night said they were all booked until Tuesday! And the owner is a friend. Lucked out Friday morning he called said they had a job booked a couple blocks from me, the guys got there no one was home since I was home he sent them over here. Had I not been a friend I'm sure I would have been waiting until Tuesday. Be patient it may take a few days for the repair.

I don't even have central air.

I just HAD to have the beautiful old house that needs a ton of updating and remodeling!:rotfl:

We don't even have duct work.

I feel your pain sister.

(Yes we have window units, but we needs new windows making them essentially useless.)

Just curious, what type of heating do you have?

^^ All AC repair people are busy right now.

Huh? There have to be multiple companies and at least one of them has to have availability to come out now. The again, I am used to living in Southern California, where we have tons of competition for everything and air conditioning is not considered a necessity.

Add me to the list! If it makes you feel any better, my central air decided to quit right in the middle of a heat wave here in NH - mid 90's with high humidity.

I have to come to work each day with wet hair because the thought of putting a hot blowdryer on me while getting ready makes me want to cry, lol. I'm already sweaty as soon as I towel off from shower.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to hire a professional so I'm stuck trying to survive the next few days. Days aren't so bad because I'm at work, but the early evenings are miserable... and trying to sleep? FORGET IT!

Nice to know I'm not in this alone.;) I just emailed my landlord again since I haven't heard from him yet today, but also I had to turn my fridge/freezer to the coldest setting last night because things were melting in the freezer. Don't know if that is normal or not because of the heat in here (trying not to open it much).

Years ago our ac broke during a heat wave (of course), but we were able to borrow a window unit to get us through. The other time we lost power for a week with Hurricane Isabel, so we had to suck it up.

Thankfully my DH has a co-worker who had two window units that she is not using & loaned them to us until it is fixed. What a relief! As of yesterday afternoon he (my landlord) had still not heard back from "his guy" so I mentioned that my sister knows people who are certified & do it on the side. He got the contact info & the guy is coming out later today to look at it.

I'm really irritated at the fact that he would not call a professional company after not being able to get someone he knows to call him back. Makes me think he doesn't have any money or something.:confused3 I pay my rent every month & just feel that it should have been handled better. We have been on the fence about moving (we are paying 2008 rental prices, rent has dropped everywhere around here) & this whole situation has ended up being a deciding factor. We've had issues maybe a handful of times in the past five years & it seems that each time his handling of it gets worse. He always sends "guys he knows" to fix things & sometimes they are not who I would want really in my house. Idk, maybe time to move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter