Accepting advice and tips

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
I am in the budgeting/planning stage for my 2 kids 1st trip to Disney.

Both children have moderate-severe medical and intellectual disabilities. Between the two, there is significant intellectual issues due to microcephaly and brain lesions. Seizure disorder and Asthma will require us to "take it easy." One child has a high-functioning type of Developmental Disorder that is not dissimilar to Autism. One child has significant vision and ambulation problems. I am their only parent. It will be the 3 of us on the planned trip. (It is actually much easier if I keep our party small).
I have a few ideas of what we will need on this trip to make it successful. But would be interested in hearing advice and tips from others in similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions:

How old are your kids and how big?

Do either of them have a wheelchair or special needs stroller?

Do they like similar things? Are there things one or the other does not like?

Do they have any limitations that would affect their ability to go on some attractions?

Would one, both or neither of them need assistance in getting into and/or out of ride cars?

A couple of questions:

How old are your kids and how big?

Do either of them have a wheelchair or special needs stroller?

Do they like similar things? Are there things one or the other does not like?

Do they have any limitations that would affect their ability to go on some attractions?

Would one, both or neither of them need assistance in getting into and/or out of ride cars?

When we go they will be aprox 8.5 and 9.5. I am holding off until the youngest is 48" tall. The oldest will only be slightly taller. We've already been to small amusement parks where 1 or both didn't meet a height restriction. I'm not having that fight again at Disney. They are slim though. 50 lbs +/- each.
No Wheelchairs, We use a wagon in lieu of a special needs stroller right now. They can walk short distances (one more than the other). But we can't use the wagon at Disney. I have a jogging stroller that we have used as well. 5 point harness is helpful at times. They are smashed into it though
Yes, they like similar things. Being so close in age and both girls they like almost exactly the same stuff.
I don't know about limitations. They both get overwhelmed very easily. They DO NOT like to be touched (we will need a room with 3 separate sleeping spaces for this reason too) so I am aware of a few attractions that are completely out.
The 9.5 year old will need assistance. In the sense that her limited vision will require me to hold her hand/lift her in and out of ride vehicles at times.

If they are currently "smashed" into the double jogging stroller, will they fit (comfortably) at the time of your WDW trip? If not, you mentioned one has ambulation problems -- will the other be able to walk while one rides? I do not know if any double special needs strollers, so if they will be too big for the double jogger your options will be limited unless someone else travels with you to push a second stroller. Or would they be willing/able to alternate who is in the stroller and who walks? As you are aware, WDW does not allow wagons.

If sensory issues may be a challenge, I suggest hearing protection and sunglasses, possibly a lightweight hooded shirt to help block.

Since they get overwhelmed easily, I'd suggest early morning with a break back at your resort mid-day. Or plan short days in the parks. Take frequent breaks. This guide lists several "quieter" spots around the parks that might be a nice break time: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...bilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_rev.pdf It may also have some other advice you could find useful.

Enjoy your vacation!

One thing to consider - most seating at WDW can handle one adult/two smallish kids, but there are some that do not. At age 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 they will be allowed to ride without an adult next to them, but are they physically, mentally, emotionally able to do so? If not, I'd suggest making sure you check to see what rides the three of you can sit together.

I know you said you rather it be just the three of you but do to their age and needs I think you may need just one other adult who they know well to help you out so the trip can go without to many issues with strangers having to be placed with one of the kids on a ride if there is any issues.

What I took from your post more than anything is that this will be your girls first trip to Disney. To take it easy in your own words I think I would concentrate on the shows more than the rides. Character dining experiences might be fun for them. Those are quite expensive to do and you need advance reservations.

Learn about DAS and fastpass plus and use both. This will help with wait times. Fastpass plus gets you less waiting time on a ride/attraction/show.

If you stay offsite and especially onsite your choices will be limited and more expensive finding 3 separate beds. You may want to take a twin air mattress and use it as third bed and this will help the budget big time.

Be aware it takes a while to get to each park whether you use Disney transportation or if you drive.

My main concern would be the children being a flight risk. Most children are in wonder there for their first time at Disney. Make sure they have good identification on them in case they get lost.

Disney is so much bigger than most other amusement parks. The average walking is 6 miles a day. I would not backtrack. Make a loop around the park. Keep in mind ride and show wait times are incredibly long. Some rides will have an hour wait or more. Also, Disney is way more crowded than other parks. Sometimes, people are rude, too.

I would ask your children's doctor what's okay and not okay on rides. Some rides are jerky when you ride them. Others are very fast rides. Some rides are very hard to get in and out of the ride and the cast members are not really suppose to help because of liability factors.

I agree with the previous poster that I would certainly think it would be safer and easier if you were able to go with someone else willing to help like perhaps your mom or dad, a sister or brother or a cousin. I really think this is too much to handle for one person. Get the free Disney vacation DVD. Look at the many videos available via u-tube for specific attractions.

Definitely, have some downtime built into each day. All the parks have first aid centers. Beware of their locations. There are cots to rest on if needed.

When we go they will be aprox 8.5 and 9.5. I am holding off until the youngest is 48" tall. The oldest will only be slightly taller. We've already been to small amusement parks where 1 or both didn't meet a height restriction. I'm not having that fight again at Disney. They are slim though. 50 lbs +/- each.
No Wheelchairs, We use a wagon in lieu of a special needs stroller right now. They can walk short distances (one more than the other). But we can't use the wagon at Disney. I have a jogging stroller that we have used as well. 5 point harness is helpful at times. They are smashed into it though
Yes, they like similar things. Being so close in age and both girls they like almost exactly the same stuff.
I don't know about limitations. They both get overwhelmed very easily. They DO NOT like to be touched (we will need a room with 3 separate sleeping spaces for this reason too) so I am aware of a few attractions that are completely out.
The 9.5 year old will need assistance. In the sense that her limited vision will require me to hold her hand/lift her in and out of ride vehicles at times.
be prepared in that wagons are not allowed at Disney

be prepared in that wagons are not allowed at Disney

the OP said they can't use a wagon at Disney in the post.

OP I would go to GR ( guest relation ) when you first get to the park and talk to one of them about your children needs ( they may be able to get a stroller asa wheel chair and or a DAS)

I would pre book your 3 FP for things you are pretty sure they will like for example at the magic kingdom Peter Pan ,Its a small world and pooh have the FP for a time you know ( or pretty sure ) they will be up so if they are not morning people do not do any for 9 am ( and I would not book any at this time any ways) if they take naps ( I know they are 8 and 9) in the afternoon do not book then then ( you get the picture)

then see what they would want to do, since you will be the only adult on this trip if one is not tall enough to ride something no one will be able to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter