Accessible aft cabins on Disney Wonder?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
After cruising in a 5E on the Dream-we are hooked on aft cabins!! :)
I noticed that most of the Wonder aft cabins are wheelchair accessible. Does Disney ever book cabins 6154, 6654, 7136, 7138, 7636, or 7638 to the general public or do they keep them only for accessible reservations? Do they just assigned as VGT cabins at the last minute when DCL knows they will not need all of them for accessible bookings if the go unbooked?

Hi,

I do know that for wheelchair accessible cabins DCL asks for verification that the family or couple that is requesting a wheelchair cabin is actually disabled. So, I do not think people who are not disabled can get the wheelchair company. I am not sure what they do with the wheelchair cabins when they are not filled. I do know that the wheelchair cabins fill up fast on the ships with families that need them because one of their family members haves disabilities.

There really are not that many verandah accessible cabins on the Magic/Wonder so I wasn't sure if they were already reserved every time I check cabins or if DCL holds them until the last minute. How far in advance was your VGT room assigned on that sailing? I was thinking it would have to be close to sail date or there would be a chance of DCL changing your room last minute if a family needed the accessible cabin.

We are booked in 7636 for December. My dad is disabled and is wheelchair bound. My concern is the vibrations reported on other posts. Have you cruised in an aft cabin on the Wonder? And if so, how was the noise/vibration?

We are booked in 7636 for December. My dad is disabled and is wheelchair bound. My concern is the vibrations reported on other posts. Have you cruised in an aft cabin on the Wonder? And if so, how was the noise/vibration?
The vibration problems I have heard of have been on the Fantasy, not the classics.

Hi,

I do know that for wheelchair accessible cabins DCL asks for verification that the family or couple that is requesting a wheelchair cabin is actually disabled.
I have not found this to be the case, other than checking a box on the website confirming the need for accessibility. We only sail accessible because my son is in a wheelchair and we have never needed documentation, never been asked, or anything along these lines. I have seen people comment that they have been placed in accessible rooms by Disney. Cabin 5552 on the Dream/Fantasy would be a very nice port upgrade. It is the biggest non suite/Concierge cabin on the ship with a large verandah.

I have not found this to be the case, other than checking a box on the website confirming the need for accessibility. We only sail accessible because my son is in a wheelchair and we have never needed documentation, never been asked, or anything along these lines. I have seen people comment that they have been placed in accessible rooms by Disney. Cabin 5552 on the Dream/Fantasy would be a very nice port upgrade. It is the biggest non suite/Concierge cabin on the ship with a large verandah.

The only time I have heard of a cruiseline asking for verification is if the accessible cabins are all booked and someone who needs one calls to ask about a waiting list for them. In that case I have heard of a line (not sure if it is Disney or RCCL) calling and asking for verification of the need, and if the people in one do not truly need it they are asked to relocate (usually with some OBC).

Being placed in one happens usually when *GT cabins are assigned, which is very close to sailing, so the assumption is by that point anyone needing one would have booked. Ditto a port upgrade - which would be day-of sailing.

We've sailed on the Magic in the aft accessible cabins several times. The noise and vibration is at it's worst when you're docking. There's no sleeping through it (in my experience).

You do feel more vibration at the aft than midship. On our first cruise on the Magic I was absolutely green the first day being aft. So much so that we basically sat midship for most of the evening until going to bed. My parents were actually trying to figure out how to get off at Key West and drive back to Port Canaveral (where our car was) because they didn't think I'd make it through the cruise. That stretch from Port Canaveral down the coast is apparently one of the worst for motion. Anyways, after about 24 hours I got my sealegs and learned that anytime I was queasy, it was best to leave the cabin and head to the atrium to sit a spell.

Our travel agent asks for verification when one of her clients requests a handicap room. There are not many HC rooms and should be reserved for those in need. If a non-HC family has reserved a GT cabin then they may be assigned an HC stateroom close to sailing if the HC rooms have not been reserved by assignment date. Often non-HC folks do not like the HC rooms since they are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and mobility issues with roll in showers, toilet placement, bed height, and for some cruise lines, removal of non-necessary furniture such as extra storage/chairs and/or foot stools, etc.

We are staying on the Wonder in 8602 with my handicapped mother this year. We’ve stayed in that room,two years ago, without her. We were on concierge waiting list and were placed in that room a couple months before sailing. Did vibrate a bit at night. Nothing bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter