• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accessible Room @ Pop

lizzyb5280

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Pop Century next spring. I have us booked for a standard room - pool view, wheelchair accessible w/ roll in shower, one King, one double. The agent I spoke to said that would be ever the 50's or 90's, so I did put in a request for the 50's area as it seemed a bit closer, and I think my kids will like it more. I am wondering though, do I need to also request ground floor? Would they even put a wheelchair room on an upper floor? Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at Pop with or in a chair; this is only my second Disney trip on wheels, and this will be the first trip with our autistic son (turning three during trip).

I don't know about that particular room type, but these buildings have elevators so it wouldn't be too crazy for you to be an floors 2-4.

My trip November 2013 was the first time I requested a handicap room. I also requested the first floor. Because I didn't want go in and out of the elevators.

As long as they have elevators and if they have handicap room above the ground floor there is a good chance that they will put you upstairs.

The elevators are not very large at World Disney World, so its a pain to go in out of them.

So that's why I requested the ground floor.

I did they same request for my room this year.

Last visit I stayed at Pop with a scooter, traveling solo. Never stayed there before and didn't know what to expect. I was put on the third floor of the '70s bldg. There was a good-size elevator and I had no issues with the HA roll-in shower room with king bed. Now that I have been to Pop once, I would ask for one of the bldgs facing the lake (like the '50s-'60s-'70s bldgs). I'd be very unhappy to be assigned to the '90s bldg. It is far away from the lake, far to the main bldg, and close to the parking lots and outside road. Yuck. If OP keeps their request for first floor only, that will limit where their party can be placed.

OP -- with the room-type you have booked, I believe there are VERY limited options. There aren't many of those rooms at each resort. If that is truly the room-type you want, I'd skip any other room requests as you are likely to get what's available for the booked category on your dates.

Of course, you can add requests, but just don't be surprised or upset if they aren't accommodated. And if you add more than one request, make sure to prioritize -- if you'd prefer 50's building on any floor over 90's first floor, prioritize the building request rather than the floor request.

Enjoy your vacation!

OP -- with the room-type you have booked, I believe there are VERY limited options. There aren't many of those rooms at each resort. If that is truly the room-type you want, I'd skip any other room requests as you are likely to get what's available for the booked category on your dates.

Of course, you can add requests, but just don't be surprised or upset if they aren't accommodated. And if you add more than one request, make sure to prioritize -- if you'd prefer 50's building on any floor over 90's first floor, prioritize the building request rather than the floor request.

Enjoy your vacation!
I agree that those rooms are very limited in number.

And, if you make any changes to your location or preference, make sure the accessible room is still on the confirmation.
Someone recently posted that they changed the location and when they looked at their reservation again, the accessible room with roll in shower was no longer there.
This is the link to that thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3303752

The accessible rooms are on all floors. We requested ground floor at Pop because of the ECV and didn't get it, but the 1950's section was a lot quieter than the others and we never had trouble catching the elevator when we needed it.

I really liked 1950's. The traffic was a lot less crazy than the other sections, and the bowling ball pool was a lot quieter than the main pool over in 1960's.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice; I'll keep the request to 50's only and not add anything about floor level. Last trip it was just us and DD who was turning three, so we got a king roll-in room at Caribbean Beach and just put her in a pop-up tent on the floor. Now though we have two kids, and of course DD isn't free any more, and lets just say that in addition to my paralysis DH and I are both a bit Pooh-sized, so we really do need the king/double layout in order for us to both have sufficient room and accommodate my mobility needs at a value without breaking the bank to upgrade resort tiers.

Here is the link to Pop building layouts by room type (K, D, connecting, accessible). I'm not sure which have roll-in showers but if this is needed you must book a roll-in shower room not just accessible.

http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/1329/popcenturyroomlayoutlarge.jpg

50's is great, find the path by the luggage storage room that cuts behind the 50's building closest to the parking lot, then go through center of building if you are in the other 50's building to get to buses or lobby, much less traffic to worry about in a power chair or ECV. This path is not on the map, it connects the path next to main building/Hall/lobby to the 'Lady' building (1) right where the bowling pin is shown.

Can't seem to edit...the path is not on the map, it connects the path next to main building/Hall/lobby to the 'Lady' building (1) right where the bowling pin is shown.

You may have already taken your trip so may not be of help. My 85YO MIL is not in a chair but needed a roll-in shower so there was no chance of her tripping. We booked her and our aunt in a HCP room and ourselves in another nearby. Unless they made an error, the HCP room is actually TWO connecting rooms: one room had a king bed and the roll-in shower; the other had two double beds and a standard shower. That was considered one HCP room; our room was about three rooms away. Again, we thought it was an error but was not. When we stayed there for one night following a cruise, they were given the same set-up. All five of us could have fit in the one "HCP room." It was a little inconvenience being on the fourth floor, so if you can get ground, it's much better. We were in the 50s both times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter