ACT test questions

DawnM

DIS Veteran
I am signing up DS for a 2nd time to take the ACT.

What is the Engage portion? Does he need it?

This is what it says:

ACT Engage. The Engage is a standardized test intended to (as ACT claims) “evaluate students' self-reported psychosocial attributes, determine their levels of academic risk, and identify interventions to help them succeed. ACT Engagemeasures motivation, social engagement and self-regulation” .

If he won't be taking the ACT another time and doesn't struggle with academics other than a few key things you already know about, would this be beneficial or would you just not bother?

Just wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Dawn

Is there an extra cost?

It seems the test is to let schools know what students are at risk for issues now and possible issues that may arise in college that are not yet known. The only question I would ask is do colleges get this information if you take the test and submit ACT test results or is the information considered private and thus only provided to a potential college if you give it or not.

I guess it is to help catch those kids who may be doing great in middle school and high school but may have issues as the age to a different level (so high school and college or beyond).

Yes, $20 more.

Just on quick research it looks like something he could take outside of the ACT so if you don't think he needs it then skip it (I took the ACT and used it for all my reporting and never took that) and if someone mentions he should take it then just pay the 20 at the time and let him do just that portion. Looks like the requirements to proctor that part are not as intense as the actual ACT.

I work at a Community College and one of the teachers was just explaining to me the other day the difference between the SAT and the ACT. She said the ACT gives a good idea on what the student has learned and the SAT gives more of an idea of how well they will learn in the future. I wonder if this extra test is ACT trying to bridge the difference between the two.

Honestly did not know of it. However, if not a requirement for the applying schools .. where is the Advatage in it for the student?
ALL test results will be required for top tiers, so choosing ur tests wisely and doing the very best you can the First time is a priority. Not all testing grades get Averaged together for best overall result, something to also keep in mind.
Best of luck to ur Student!

I wonder if that's new? My two in college didn't take that. My son took the ACT in December and I didn't see it on there then?? Or I missed it?? I'm going to be signing him up to take it again in September. I won't bother with that or the writing portion because the schools around here he would go to don't require it.

Anyway, he'd have a cow if he had to sit and EXTRA 1/2 hour for the writing:rolleyes:.

Are there Colleges that he is interested in? If so, ask the Admissions office if they feel the test is beneficial. I know my son's college looked at his SAT scores, and transcripts from High School...and said, "take the ACT, your academic record seems to indicate you would get much high test scores with the ACT." They considered the test you got the highest score on in deciding admission.

I wonder if that's new? My two in college didn't take that. My son took the ACT in December and I didn't see it on there then?? Or I missed it?? I'm going to be signing him up to take it again in September. I won't bother with that or the writing portion because the schools around here he would go to don't require it.

Anyway, he'd have a cow if he had to sit and EXTRA 1/2 hour for the writing:rolleyes:.

My son took it in Dec. at school and didn't take that part, it wasn't given.

Ok, in doing a little more research, it seems to be more for struggling students. He is not a struggling student, but he does struggle with tests, but we already know what his weaknesses are and he is taking a class right now for that.

So I don't think it is necessary.

It also looks to be something the schools don't get at all. It is just for personal reference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter