Activities for the 10,000 neighborhood kids at my house

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the Budget board too, but on second thought--this was probably the right place to post it!!

Well, maybe not 10,000 kids----but some days it feels like it!!!
I have become the neighborhood hang out place, with is really fine with me--I'd prefer my kids be at my house when I can keep a descreet eye on them instead of all over the neighborhood when I can't be sure they are supervised. HOWEVER, an hour or two of riding bikes or playing badminton and they're "bored". Any neat summertime OUTSIDE activities/games you do at your house?? There are anywhere from 5-10 kids at my house most days, ages ranging from 2-11. I understand the 2 y/o can't play what the 11 y/o does, but the 11 y/o is mine so he's right there along with the big ones.

thanks for your help!!!

Chalk and a driveway is always a big hit in my neighborhood (20 houses/36 kids!)

Extra long jump ropes, too. (If it's just the girls, they do all the rhymes, etc. - but even the boys will limbo.)

Would the older ones blow bubbles for the little ones?

Also, lots of versions of tag. "Animal tag" is the favorite here. - When "it" catches you, he/she calls out an animal, and you become it, AS that animal - hopping like a kangaroo, flapping wings like a butterfly, etc. (It's amazing how fast the "and no saying snail" rule came out! :rotfl: )

"Sardines" is great for mixed ages, as well. - It's like hide-and-seek in reverse: One person hides while everyboy else counts together, then you split up (the little ones can go with an older child) and when you find the hiding place, you get in too. Eventually everyone is squished in/spilling out of these little places, and laughing like crazy.

Here are a couple of websites, too -

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/games/games.htm

Good luck, and have a great summer!

It's almost 100 degrees here today so I am thinking water. A sprinker is ideal for any age. Don't use even a wadeing pool with a toddler or young child without adult supervision. Just a hose pipe can be fun. If you have a kiddie pool, try freezing ice in different shape containers and add to the pool. Plenty of ice pops to cool off with are great too.
Try giving them the makings of a tent and let them construct one in the yard.

Have an outdoor art show. Lots of mess and fun but if all hoses off in the end.

Let them wash your car (water again) reward with ice pops or ice cream!

I know you said outside, but when they poop out, how about a movie time with blinds closed, air on and a big bowl of pop corn!!!

Have fun, the summer will soon be over!!!!!!!

Jordan's mom

I was thinking water, too: A sprinkler, slip-n-slide, kiddie pool. We found a t-ball kind of thing (the tee, ball and bat are all plastic) that you attach to the hose and it pops the ball up on a spray of water. Then when he hits the ball, of course the child (and anyone else nearby) gets a bit wet. Kind of fun, and the ball bobs a bit in the spray before the swing, so a bit of a challenge.

Slip n Slide is big here. As is a bucket of water and paint brushes so they can "paint" the house and the deck.

Lots of bike riding, bug collecting and Kool Aid stands too. When it is not so hot my older 2 like to get their younger brother to dress up in old Halloween costumes to drum up business for their Kool Aid stand. He dances around and people stop just because he is such a nut. He was out there once in a cow costume and last time in a hula skirt, tap shoes and cowboy hat. :rotfl:

Allyson

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter