Activities to do before sailing? Arriving 2 days before our sail date!

SanchezDisneyFam

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! My family (myself, hubby, 3 year old daughter, and mother/father in law) will be going on our very first Disney Cruise on the Disney Treasure from 12/28 - 01/04. We will be arriving on 12/26. Any suggestions on what we can do for a day and a half? Parks are out of the question since we have such a small amount of time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The Kennedy Space Center is not far from the port -- that might be a fun day trip.

You could spend time at Walt Disney World away from the parks -- miniature golf, resort hopping, Disney Springs. It will be crowded that time of year, though.

The Kennedy Space Center is not far from the port -- that might be a fun day trip.

You could spend time at Walt Disney World away from the parks -- miniature golf, resort hopping, Disney Springs. It will be crowded that time of year, though.
Great suggestions! Thank you. We've never been to any of the Orlando parks. What exactly does resort hopping offer? Is it as expensive as a disney world admission ticket?

Resort hopping just means going from one resort to another. No cost. DH and I spend several weeks every Jan/Feb at either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. No parks. We usually take one day to ride the bus to MK to do a monorail ride, then to EPCOT to ride the sky thing, walk around Boardwalk then bus back to Disney Springs then boat back to Saratoga Springs or OKW. No agenda, just sightseeing - a bit different every year.

But, I second Kennedy Space Flight Center. It is amazing.

There is a cost to park at most Walt Disney World locations (except Disney Springs) but no cost for internal buses, boats, monorails, and the Skyliner. So you can visit resorts to see the decor and dine at restaurants. Some resorts are along the same path, such as the 3 Monorail resorts around Bay Lake near the Magic Kingdom, the 5 boat-accessible resorts around Crescent Lake near Epcot, and the 3 boat-accessible resorts along Lake Buena Vista near Disney Springs. To go between other resorts, you may need to change buses outside a park or Disney Springs.

Note that at some resorts, parking is restricted to guests.

Kennedy Space Center and Canaveral National Seashore or Cocoa Beach: Florida’s Space Coast. Rent a car with one-way drop-off in Cape Canaveral before cruise. Stay near Titusville (along I-95 or in town) with possible lower hotel prices.

Depending on your flight arrival time, keep that day pretty open. Maybe the beach for sunset and dinner. Kennedy can take hours if that’s your style. Or just a day at the beach.

Great suggestions! Thank you. We've never been to any of the Orlando parks. What exactly does resort hopping offer? Is it as expensive as a disney world admission ticket?
I never understood resort hopping. What it refers to is visiting the resorts, having a look at the shops, eat at the restaurants. I would personally go to Disney Springs, more shops and restaurants in a smaller space. Less travel. Go see Cirque de Soleil.

If you don't want to visit one of the four Disney themeparks, what about going to one of the waterparks?

Hello everyone! My family (myself, hubby, 3 year old daughter, and mother/father in law) will be going on our very first Disney Cruise on the Disney Treasure from 12/28 - 01/04. We will be arriving on 12/26. Any suggestions on what we can do for a day and a half? Parks are out of the question since we have such a small amount of time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Where are you staying? That will change the suggestions on what to do..

Resort hopping just means going from one resort to another. No cost. DH and I spend several weeks every Jan/Feb at either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. No parks. We usually take one day to ride the bus to MK to do a monorail ride, then to EPCOT to ride the sky thing, walk around Boardwalk then bus back to Disney Springs then boat back to Saratoga Springs or OKW. No agenda, just sightseeing - a bit different every year.

But, I second Kennedy Space Flight Center. It is amazing.
I see! Thank you for that explanation. What resort would you recommend visiting with a 3 year old?

There is a cost to park at most Walt Disney World locations (except Disney Springs) but no cost for internal buses, boats, monorails, and the Skyliner. So you can visit resorts to see the decor and dine at restaurants. Some resorts are along the same path, such as the 3 Monorail resorts around Bay Lake near the Magic Kingdom, the 5 boat-accessible resorts around Crescent Lake near Epcot, and the 3 boat-accessible resorts along Lake Buena Vista near Disney Springs. To go between other resorts, you may need to change buses outside a park or Disney Springs.

Note that at some resorts, parking is restricted to guests.
So I wouldn't need a park ticket to ride around in these boats?

I see! Thank you for that explanation. What resort would you recommend visiting with a 3 year old?
Art of Animation would be a hit with a small one (lots of life-size or larger animation pieces to look at) as well as Animal Kingdom Lodge (places to look at the animals in the main lodge).

Yeah, I was afraid of that :(
The parks will be busy resorts maybe a touch more busy but not a deterrent. I would 100% park at the transportation and ticket center and do the resorts on the monorail. Start with the Polynesian, grand Floridian, and contemporary. There Christmas decorations will be up an beautiful each have unique stores. You can get an authentic dole whip at the poly and the grand Floridian has a nice quick service restaurant. From the contemporary you can walk over to the magic kingdom boat dock and take a boat to the wilderness lodge which is gorgeous that time of year and they have nice restaurants too. Take the boat back get on the monorail and back to the parking lot. Although Kennedy space center is also really cool I’d just make sure what the hours are when you are going.

Correct. As noted above, parking is restricted at some of the resorts but Disney Springs is free. From there you can ride the ferries free to Old Key West or to Saratoga Springs. You can also ride the busses free to other parks or resorts.

As long as you do not enter a park, you don’t need a ticket. All of the hotels, bus stops, and boat docks are outside of parks.

For a child, I’d go with Animal Kingdom Lodge, which has areas indoors and outdoors where you can view animals. You may need to have a dining reservation in order to park there, but the Boma buffet may be worth getting a meal at.

We always like to drive through the merrit island wildlife area. Its a large area set aside on merrit island just by the space center. Lots of different wildlife and birds to see. Even a spot you can see manatees coming inland from the ocean. Its really diverse and a good day outing. Basically free but they ask for a $10 donation and you get a map with points of interest.

There is a city attraction pass for Orlando that you can get. Can do the Wheel, Madame Tussaud’s , Wonder Works - stuff on International Dr.

What about Legoland? WDW and Universal are going to crazy busy and probably not worth the high price for single day tickets.

Also Gatorland. Will you have a car?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter