Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you deleted your comment but your hotel legally wasn't allowed to ask for documentation nor is it true about certification. So when you say "Many times we asked for the service animals certificate." your hotel was in fact going against the ADA law.

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?
A
. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.

There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.

C8t31fw.jpg

Last edited:

I know you deleted your comment but your hotel legally wasn't allowed to ask for documentation nor is it true about certification. So when you say "Many times we asked for the service animals certificate." your hotel was in fact going against the ADA law.

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?
A
. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.

There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.

Yes after researching i deleted it, but thanks for calling me out. Documentation was provided at their own accord, vs us asking for it. I had my facts wrong. Hence my deleting my comment. But again thanks for pointing that out. Have a great day! :)

Yes after researching i deleted it, but thanks for calling me out. Documentation was provided at their own accord, vs us asking for it. I had my facts wrong. Hence my deleting my comment. But again thanks for pointing that out. Have a great day! :)
Well if for nothing else you may want to contact your previous employer to alert them. All it will take is one person who bristles at the fact that the hotel is asking something that doesn't exist and is illegal to ask for.

It wasn't calling you out but part of the reasons things get muddled is individuals not fully understanding things.

Also you said "many times we asked for the service animals certificate" not that people willingly gave the documentation for which there is not a requirement for certification to be a service animal and I wouldn't want something to happen later on even after leaving that hotel.

The fact that you looked it up after presumably leaving that hotel is more where my concern was coming from is all.

It wasn't my intent to offend at all :)

Is this really necessary or helpful? I came to this thread to get facts on actual dog experiences, not to see more anti-dog posts. Honestly you would think there were roving bands of wild dogs running through the resorts, through the food courts and using all the floors as bathrooms. This just started and no one has posted what their actual experience has been yet (either taking their dog or being in a room near a dog or after a dog) and I would like to see the thread stay open long enough to get that information.

For the record, I have dogs but I would not bring them to Disney for various reasons. I also have been the victim of a dog attack when I was 10 years old, but I don't fear them now. And I am someone who has severe allergies to cats so I do understand all those points made by others. I am genuinely interested to see how all of this plays out and hear from those who have experienced it personally.

( IMO, Also from my experience I've had way more annoying times with roving bands of unsupervised teen tour groups, ear splitting chanting, pushing/shoving and using all available floor space to sit and lay on than I can imagine a handful of dogs would cause who are not in the actual parks.)

What gets me about that thread is people who have zero faith that Disney will make sure everyone is happy. If I had such disdain for a company's service I simply would not give them my money. Just my opinion of course.
Not happy that they are being seen on the Boardwalk!!

And this is why many of us do not trust Disney to enforce things. We are a week in, with all of the attention being paid to this issue, and already the rules are being broken.

We are staying at POR starting this Thursday. I am allergic to dogs (not life-threatening, but not something I want to deal with while on a vacation) and we take afternoon naps, so I sent an email to Guest Services last week. I asked if there was any way they could ensure I would not be near a room with dogs. I got a generic response shortly after that instructing me to call if my trip was within the next two weeks to please call. I haven't been in the mood to wait on hold for who knows how long, so I decided I would take my chances.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Lake Buena Vista, so I answered. It was in fact Disney and they were incredibly friendly. She said there was no way they could guarantee we would not be near a dog room if we are staying at POR. She was willing to find us somewhere else to stay (which was nice because the website told me no other rooms are available) and every moderate resort had availability. I thought about it for about two seconds before I told her it was unnecessary. POR is my DD's absolute favorite resort and she would be heartbroken if we changed resorts, especially so close to our trip. I did ask for her to make a note on my reservation for a deep cleaning if dogs have stayed in my room in the past. I am optimistic that we won't be bothered by barking dogs during the day (or night) because I have to be optimistic or I might cry. It won't ruin my vacation, but I will be angry if I am bothered by barking dogs at all. I have 2 dogs I would love to take on vacation with us, but if we left them alone in the room for any amount of time, they would bark. They would bark if they heard any noises outside of the room. They would drive ME crazy, so I would hate for them to drive anyone else crazy. I hope other dog owners are as considerate.

Well, I just got home from POR and I'm happy to report we did not have any issues with dogs. Funny story though, we came back for our afternoon nap our second day, and the person in the room next to us was playing either a trumpet or a clarinet, or possibly both. For a good hour or so after we got back to our room. I tried to turn on a sound machine to drown it out but that didn't work, so no nap for me. DD14 had no problems sleeping through it. It never happened again (I think they left the next morning), or I would have either knocked on their door or made a phone call. But no dog encounters. I had seen on a Facebook page that there was a couple that brought their dogs, but I never saw them. I'm really hoping dog guests do not get out of hand, because I don't think I could stop staying at POR.

And this is why many of us do not trust Disney to enforce things. We are a week in, with all of the attention being paid to this issue, and already the rules are being broken.
I would certainly expect an adjustment period with a brand new policy that will go on for an entire year. And that post never mentioned the dogs being disruptive or out of control. The owners could've been told about the dog right after they were seen on Boardwalk. No one knows if the owners were approached or not or if rules were enforced.

Well, I just got home from POR and I'm happy to report we did not have any issues with dogs. Funny story though, we came back for our afternoon nap our second day, and the person in the room next to us was playing either a trumpet or a clarinet, or possibly both. For a good hour or so after we got back to our room. I tried to turn on a sound machine to drown it out but that didn't work, so no nap for me. DD14 had no problems sleeping through it. It never happened again (I think they left the next morning), or I would have either knocked on their door or made a phone call. But no dog encounters. I had seen on a Facebook page that there was a couple that brought their dogs, but I never saw them. I'm really hoping dog guests do not get out of hand, because I don't think I could stop staying at POR.

Thanks for reporting back!

How do you know it wasn't a dog playing the clarinet?:rotfl:

Stayed at the BoardWalk, just got back. Had no clue at first about the new dog policy. Day 2 at mug refill station at the bakery....someone came breezing in with a medium sized dog on a leash...no "service dog" vest or anything. I was shocked. Nobody said a word. Day 3...early evening, saw someone walking their dog on the BoardWalk...watched for quite a while from my balcony, again, nobody said a word. Day 4, heard some talk around the pool about Disney's new dog policy. Day 6, saw a puppy on a leash INSIDE Animal Kingdom park....no "service dog" vest, no "in training" vest. Stopped at front desk at BoardWalk to inquire about the "rules" for dog owners. Nobody seemed to know, but was told they were not allowed on the BoardWalk....I told them what I saw..they didn't quite know what to say. Gave me the email address for guest services relations. Day 7....saw someone walking TWO medium size dogs on the BoardWalk....again, not approached by anyone. Someone also saw two large dogs inside of Epcot that were not service dogs either.

So....it was only a few days into the new dog friendly thing, and already people were breaking the rules. And I really cannot blame the CM's for not approaching, they have not been properly trained on what to say or do. Not fair. This plan was not well thought out at all.

Stayed at the BoardWalk, just got back. Had no clue at first about the new dog policy. Day 2 at mug refill station at the bakery....someone came breezing in with a medium sized dog on a leash...no "service dog" vest or anything. I was shocked. Nobody said a word. Day 3...early evening, saw someone walking their dog on the BoardWalk...watched for quite a while from my balcony, again, nobody said a word. Day 4, heard some talk around the pool about Disney's new dog policy. Day 6, saw a puppy on a leash INSIDE Animal Kingdom park....no "service dog" vest, no "in training" vest. Stopped at front desk at BoardWalk to inquire about the "rules" for dog owners. Nobody seemed to know, but was told they were not allowed on the BoardWalk....I told them what I saw..they didn't quite know what to say. Gave me the email address for guest services relations. Day 7....saw someone walking TWO medium size dogs on the BoardWalk....again, not approached by anyone. Someone also saw two large dogs inside of Epcot that were not service dogs either.

So....it was only a few days into the new dog friendly thing, and already people were breaking the rules. And I really cannot blame the CM's for not approaching, they have not been properly trained on what to say or do. Not fair. This plan was not well thought out at all.

No surprise.

How are the dogs getting in to the parks???

They let a dang monkey in the park...getting a puppy or frankly ANY dog is easy. Just walk in. Chances are you won't be stopped by a CM who is petrified of the can of worms it will open if they DARE to ask the only legally allowed questions.
What about the security guards though? Everyone has to go through security and I would THINK it would be their job above all else!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter