Acupuncture....should insurance cover it?

Mackey Mouse

Me read the Navigator? I don't
I am taking my DH to an acupuncturist this week to try and help with the effects of chemo and to help boost his immune system..

Now I have not called my insurance company to see if they cover it or not, just planned on paying out of pocket, but it can get costly, $150 for first visit, $75 for each one after that..

What do you all think about acupuncture, my married daughter swears by it and says it helped her get pregnant and stay pregnant... I know many who have tried it and say it helps with chemo??

Anyone have any thoughts on it and does your insurance cover it?

I don't have any thoughts on the benefits as I've never tried it. But for the insurance - it will depend on your company. Mine will cover up to 20 visits per year - but I think it has to be on referral from my PCP.

I don't have an HMO, the plan is with Aetna.

My advice is to call your insurance 800 number and ask what your plan covers and what the rules are.

Marsha - don't know much about acupuncture but have you and Tommy considered hypnosis. When I was going through chemo 16 years ago a very dear friend of the family suggested it to me. He was the priest that married Mark and I and he is a clinical psychologist. I really do think it helped me. It was designed to make the actual chemo easier for me (help me relax as I was supposed to sleep through part of mine) as well as help my body fight the cancer.

Just a suggestion you might want to look into.

I like accupuncture. Its helping w/ some of my back pain and other pains.
One additional advantage is it helps you to relax too. With muscle issues, being more relaxed is very helpful.

I talked to my accupuncturist about helping w/ chemo because my mom started chemo again before christmas.
He mentioned its very helpful w/ post sergical nasia and chemo related pain and nasia (sp?).
My mom lives in another city 3 hours away, and wasn't interested in coming here to try accupuncture. My guy didn't know of anyone in her area, so I left it at that, and told her if she changed her mind to let me know.

I will mention my accupuncturist uses the needles, but he also adds electrical still to some of the needles. So, its like a combo, e-stim and the accupuncture. From what i understand from my mom. If you have had cancer you are not suppose to have e-stim. I'm sure your already aware of that, just a reminder.

If you happen to be afraid of needles, you could also look into accupressure, where they apply pressure and no needles.

No I did not know that... I am not sure this person uses that type, but I will ask and make sure if she does, she does not on Tom... you do not want to stimulate cell growth...no way, no how..

Thanks and I will let you know how he does...

To him it is a little strange, to me, whatever works.....I like it myself.. but need to call today on the insurance thing.

I don't think accupuncture is covered by insurance. Reiki is another complementary you should consider. I used it when I was in treatment and have begun training to become a practitioner myself. It may be less expensive than accupuncture, but the other benefit (for some) is that no needles are involved. The goal for both is the same: to move healing energy through the body and promote a sense of well being. As these types of therapies are becoming more popular, they're becoming more accessible too. Even you could benefit from Reiki yourself as the caregiver for your DH. Let me know if you'd like some help finding somewhere that offers it in your area. It can't hurt to give it a try. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter