Add 2 year old to dining plan?

Brygida

DIS Veteran
Should I pretend that my 2 year old is 3 and buy him a dining plan for our 7-day stay?

He is able to eat about 1/2 of a child meal and probably all of the drinks.

How much do the the table-service kid's meals average? the counter-service kid's meals?

Kids TS meals average $6.00 ($5-$9) a drink is sometimes included,
Drink is $2 if not included
TS kid desserts run $3-$5
CS kids meals run $4 with a drink

Character meals run more for children - about $12

(no tax or tip included in above list)

A thought: To bump a 2yo to 3yo and getting the plan adds the cost of a park ticket for a 3yo. A one day ticket is $50, a 2yo would have to eat a lot of food to cover the cost of the meal plan plus the cost of park admission needed to get the plan. It would be cheaper to plan to share then buy a meal (or part of one) when you need to. HTH

Right--the only way you can buy the DDP for a 2 year old is to also buy a park ticket.

2 year old eats free (own plate, own beverage) at any character buffet or family style meal.

At meals where you order off a menu the child can eat free off your food. You can purchase a beverage or bring juice boxes, sippy cups, etc. There are stories of servers supplying free milk, but don't count on it. We had plenty of food to share.

The real issue is whether you would need to buy him a separate meal and what sort of meals you are doing. Many CS are big enough for 2 adults. You can get a double burger and buy an extra bun for 90 cents. Kid CS is in the range of $7, and many include the beverage. Kid TS is in the $10 range.

So...on a 7 night stay you would have to buy a $50 park ticket (of course you can use it at a later time). Unless you are there on free dining, you would pay $11 per day for his meal plan--$77. Will you spend $127 on his food in 7 days--probably not.

One more thing to keep in mind is Disney does keep you and your family "on file" could this be a problem later? Say when her DS is 9 and Disney say "we have him on record as being 10--you have to pay adult rate? Just a thought?!? :confused3

Brygida said:
Should I pretend that my 2 year old is 3 and buy him a dining plan for our 7-day stay?

He is able to eat about 1/2 of a child meal and probably all of the drinks.

How much do the the table-service kid's meals average? the counter-service kid's meals?

No. You'll end up spending more money.
At a table service restaurant in most cases you will have enough extra food to feed him, and if he wants something else it's more cost effective to pay OOP. TS meals are about $4.50-$8. Buffets have him included for free. CS meals are usually about $4.00. For an extra $8.50-$12.00 you could buy a CS and TS for him, but I don't think you'll need to do it most days.

I wouldn't do it...just pay OOP for the meals that you need. It'll probably end up being more $$ in the long run to add them anyway.

Are you sure that he eats too much to share with you and your H? I know that we went last year with a almost 4 year old, and a 2 year old, and NEVER bought a OOP meal for DD2. She always shared. MOST of the time, we didn't even order a meal for DS3, either. Two adult meals had enough food for all 4 of us, with leftovers, even. This is even considering that my DH is a big eater.

It's also dependent on whether your child will eat adult style foods. Both my kids prefer them to the kid's meals.

kcashner said:
Right--the only way you can buy the DDP for a 2 year old is to also buy a park ticket.

So...on a 7 night stay you would have to buy a $50 park ticket (of course you can use it at a later time). Unless you are there on free dining, you would pay $11 per day for his meal plan--$77. Will you spend $127 on his food in 7 days--probably not.

Thanks for the input. Yes, we are on the free dining plan... so all it would cost would be ~$50 ticket. He has just turned 2, but is 4 year old size, but with 2 year old tastes. He will readily eat chicken strips, fries, breads, fruits, spaghetti with meatsauce, and yogurt. Whereas I don't tend to order those things (except bread).

I do plan on going to Goodings anyway to get milk and cereal. So I wonder whether I would spend $50 at restaurants for food/milk for him?

I am on the fence.

my DD will be 2 on our trip in Aug. we have free dining and yes i had the CM book her as being 3 and then purchased a 1 day park ticket for her to get her the free dining for our 10 day trip.

i confirmed with the CM that she will not need ticket media to get into the parks - she is actually 2. she recomened that we bring a copy of her birth cert just incase. (we always travel with one anyway)

She will only count at a 3 year old on the room ressie and for eating.

since she loved to eat and can at times have a large bottomless pit for a stomach - this was the best bet for us. when we get a mickey bar - she is going to want one for herself. when we get a counter service meal, she is going to want one for herself. when we get a sit down meal, she is going to want a meal too. off the kiddy menu - but still a meal.

paying for all of that out of pocket for 10 days would have been much more than the price of a 1 day/1 park ticket for her.

i asked the CM about her being logged as 3 on their computer for this trip messing up future trips (as far as her age) and she said as long as we can prove her age - they will adjust their records.

- lori

We are doing the same thing as Lori. My 2 year old eats as much or more than my 4 year old. It will be much more pleasant for the 2 year old to have her own. She imitates her big sister in every way; I can't imagine the fighting if one gets her own meal and the other doesn't. It will be so much easier to have the credits vs paying OOP every time we bought food or a drink.

Considering I paid something around 2.50 for a cup of milk at Disney in Jan, we decided to bump my two year old up to a three year old for our Sept trip (actually she turns three on the last day!) Not only for the food and drinks at meals that I know we will use, but also for the snacks that she's gonna want and of course Daddy can't say no! ;)

loriandmatt said:
my DD will be 2 on our trip in Aug. we have free dining and yes i had the CM book her as being 3 and then purchased a 1 day park ticket for her to get her the free dining for our 10 day trip.

i confirmed with the CM that she will not need ticket media to get into the parks - she is actually 2. she recomened that we bring a copy of her birth cert just incase. (we always travel with one anyway)

She will only count at a 3 year old on the room ressie and for eating.
- lori

Thank you! This is the advice I was looking for. I'm on the phone now changing him to 3!

I'm another one who added her 2 year old onto the dining plan. My DD will be 26 months on our next trip and has food allergies making it difficult for us to share. Depending on her mood, she can sometimes eat an entire kids meal on her own.

I sort of figure from a cost perspective that it will be a wash, but it will be nice to be able to order her a kiddy appetizer, entree, and a kid dessert. DH and I would be in BIG trouble at dessert time if she didn't have her own dessert since most yummy desserts contain eggs (which is what she is allergic to). All the TS restaurants carry tofutti so she is set :thumbsup2 .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter