Add a day with OTU points?

BamaGuy44

DIS Veteran
We’ve never done one time use points, so not sure if my plan will work. We plan to book a 4 night stay in November at the 7 month window. We have enough points for 3 of the 4 and will buy OTU for the 4th.

Would we be able to book the first 3 nights online when booking opens at 8am, then call MS later to add the 4th night, or does it have to be a new booking when you buy OTU?

My worry is waiting for MS to open at 9 we might lose out on the room we want

Do you know how many points you will need? If you currently have 52 points but need the full 24 OTUP call MS and book 7 months for say SSR Studio. That price is 76 points so they would take your 52 points and then you would pay for the 24 OTUP (Preferably with a discounted Disney Gift Card or a CC that earns extra for Travel).

After that it processed and you hang up go to your dashboard and cancel that reservation.

You will now have the OTUP and your 52 points in your account to use at 8 am at 7 months instead of waiting for 9 am and MS to open.

Note the OTUP will not show up on your dashboard but you can see them when you go to book by clicking "View Details" Just make sure to use that contract first when booking the new reservation.

1710685679706.png

That phantom reservation method reserving SSR now is possible, but it can only be done if you can do a reservation now that would require 24 OTUPs over and above the total current and banked use year points you currently have to use. If, e.g., you have 76 current use year and banked points in your applicable contract, the suggested Phantom reservation would not be possible because you can only purchase OTUPs that are needed over and above any current and banked points you already have in the same use year. In other words, you would need to be able to do a reservation now that either needs 24 OTUPs over and above the current use year and banked points you have in your account, or alternatively, uses the exact number of OTUPs you will need, if less than 24, when you go to make your the reservation you actually want in Nov.

The other possible downside to doing what is suggested is what happens if you cannot get the actual reservation you want at 7-months out form November time. You will thus have OTUPs that otherwise must be used by end of your use year.

That issue is emphaisized by the time you want, November, a high DVC demand time at WDW when if it can be difficult, at 7-months out, to get a studio (and often other rooms) anywhere other than at Kidani, SSR, or OKW, and even those can disappear before 7-months out, particularly for the Wine & Dine race weekend (a Thurs to Sun in early November) and Thanksgiving week)

You can, as you suggest, and if available, book 3 of the nights online at 8:00 a.m. at 7-months out from your November start date, and then contact MS at 9:00 to add the fourth via OTUPs. However, that kind of reservation requires availability for whatever you want, both for those first three nights at 8 a.m., and then separately for that fourth night when you want to purchase OTUPs at 9 a.m.

That issue is emphaisized by the time you want, November, a high DVC demand time at WDW when if it can be difficult, at 7-months out, to get a studio (and often other rooms) anywhere other than at Kidani, SSR, or OKW, and even those can disappear before 7-months out, particularly for the Wine & Dine race weekend (a Thurs to Sun in early November) and Thanksgiving week)

You can, as you suggest, and if available, book 3 of the nights online at 8:00 a.m. at 7-months out from your November start date, and then contact MS at 9:00 to add the fourth via OTUPs. However, that kind of reservation requires availability for whatever you want, both for those first three nights at 8 a.m., and then separately for that fourth night when you want to purchase OTUPs at 9 a.m.
For this trip we’re not super particular about where we stay, but I figure we’ll have more options right at 8 rather than waiting until 9 to call. Looking at 1 or 2 br, so hopefully will have some availability. If it ends up being SSR or OKW that’s fine.

Not interested in doing a phantom booking and cancelling, but it sounds like my plan will work to book online then call to add the last night. Thanks

For this trip we’re not super particular about where we stay, but I figure we’ll have more options right at 8 rather than waiting until 9 to call. Looking at 1 or 2 br, so hopefully will have some availability. If it ends up being SSR or OKW that’s fine.

Not interested in doing a phantom booking and cancelling, but it sounds like my plan will work to book online then call to add the last night. Thanks
Yes, your plan will work - I’ve done it myself when needing OTUP. Book as much as possible online at 8, then call MS at 9 to buy the OTUP and complete the reservation. Good luck!

That phantom reservation method reserving SSR now is possible, but it can only be done if you can do a reservation now that would require 24 OTUPs over and above the total current and banked use year points you currently have to use. If, e.g., you have 76 current use year and banked points in your applicable contract, the suggested Phantom reservation would not be possible because you can only purchase OTUPs that are needed over and above any current and banked points you already have in the same use year. In other words, you would need to be able to do a reservation now that either needs 24 OTUPs over and above the current use year and banked points you have in your account, or alternatively, uses the exact number of OTUPs you will need, if less than 24, when you go to make your the reservation you actually want in Nov.

The other possible downside to doing what is suggested is what happens if you cannot get the actual reservation you want at 7-months out form November time. You will thus have OTUPs that otherwise must be used by end of your use year.

That is very true that you can’t have enough points to make a reservation and request to buy them. I was giving an example of having less points than needed to make a reservation. Like you stated it is probably best to book the 3 out 4 first and then call MS but OP was worried about the room being gone which is why I gave that suggestion.

If you bought too many OTUP you are stuck with them unless you have some current use points and are within your banking deadline.

I wouldn’t buy more than I might need for that reason.

If you bought too many OTUP you are stuck with them unless you have some current use points and are within your banking deadline.

I wouldn’t buy more than I might need for that reason.
Which get used first - OTUP points or owned points? If OTUP points can be used first then if you have an overage of owned points you can bank them into the following year.

Which get used first - OTUP points or owned points? If OTUP points can be used first then if you have an overage of owned points you can bank them into the following year.
OTUP, Banked and Borrowed all get used first and that is a good idea to book the current use year points. Sometimes people are borrowing and don’t have any current use year points (might have bought a stripped contract) and in that case you want to make sure you are only buying the OTUP you need as you will not be able to bank anything.

While not likely there is always a chance that last night disappears from an owner modifying their own trip.

That is why doing the buying ahead of time and canceling can help because then you can book all 4 nights right at 8 am.

And, you only need to book a fake night for the number of OTU points you need…not an entire trip.

OTU points are in a temporary contract in your account.

When you book, you need to be sure to check that contract in order to use it when booking. The booking will use your banked and borrowed points first and then OTU points before any current points.

While not likely there is always a chance that last night disappears from an owner modifying their own trip.

That is why doing the buying ahead of time and canceling can help because then you can book all 4 nights right at 8 am.

And, you only need to book a fake night for the number of OTU points you need…not an entire trip.
It’s silly they make you go through this loophole instead of just letting you buy the otu points ahead of time.

It’s silly they make you go through this loophole instead of just letting you buy the otu points ahead of time.

The reason is so that they are not doing a transfer for money, which is against the contract.

By forcing you to book when you buy, they are essentially renting you a room. The difference is that you can cancel them and they show up as a transfer which wouldn’t happen when an owner rents to a non owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter