Add me to the list of DCL cruisers that loved the Carnival Vista

We were on the Vista in June. We did all private or DIY tours. My DH and I did eat in one of the specialty restaurants on board, the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse. It was fantastic and totally worth the $35pp charge. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Definitely better than my last few experiences in DCL's Palo and NCL's Cagney's.
This is good to know. We'll try it next time. We would have tried it this time, but the 25% Vat tax and the fact the my steak loving son would have wanted to go would have made it a 135.00 dollar meal before tip. That would have been fine if I had known it was good, but I didn't want to take the chance.

There are so many new ships coming out from many cruise lines with cool and innovative features. I want to try them all!! We are sailing the RCCL Harmony of the Seas for 2017 Spring Break, MSC Seaside for 2018 Spring Break. For summer of 2018, if the new Carnival ship offers a British Isles itinerary, I will be all over that. If not I will probably book NCL Bliss which will enter service in 2018 sailing Alaska itineraries.
I know, we're planning on Horizon in 2018, haven't figured out 2019 yet, then CCL Vista III for 2020, new Disney ship in 2021, new CCL ship in 2022, then new Disney ship in 2023. At that point I think I'll start working a 2nd and 3rd job.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I know, we're planning on Horizon in 2018, haven't figured out 2019 yet, then CCL Vista III for 2020, new Disney ship in 2021, new CCL ship in 2022, then new Disney ship in 2023. At that point I think I'll start working a 2nd and 3rd job.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

In a few years Virgin will be launching their new cruise line as well. It's just ships, ships and more ships!! :cloud9:

This is good to know. We'll try it next time. We would have tried it this time, but the 25% Vat tax and the fact the my steak loving son would have wanted to go would have made it a 135.00 dollar meal before tip. That would have been fine if I had known it was good, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Yeah, we avoided VAT with our stop in Turkey.

Mine are in 8th and 6th grade. The 8th grader will be starting 9th grade math in month or so, and the 6th grader is just finishing his 5th grade math book. We use Abeka which I think is pretty advanced for math so I'm not too worried about him being a little behind. If I sent them to school I think they would be totally lost with the common core math. I'm a math science person so those subjects are easy for me. English and writing are my weaknesses. I think they are learning a lot about History through our traveling. We're still a long way from worrying about college, but I'm hoping my oldest will be able to start taking course at the community college when he's 16 or 17. High school kids where we live can get there associates while there in high school so I see no reason my oldest can't. My youngest on the other hand may be one of those 6 year college students. He's a super smart kid just not the most studious.

My daughter will be 16 next September and if she stays at this pace will be a junior right before her birthday. Which means she can dual enroll at a community college nearby. I am sort of torn on this, but we will make a decision soon and see if that is the track she wants to be on.
Common Core math just doesn't work for either one of my kids and I was never able to really explain it to them because it just wasn't logical or practical. Math is challenging enough, there is no need to add extra work to a simple process.
My youngest (son) is definitely smart just doesn't apply himself other than with what he NEEDS to do. I do think he would be a great lawyer though as he could debate anything and by the sheer force of his will, could have you convinced black is green. lol

how many passengers does the vista hold?
was your sailing fully booked?
Our cruise was sold out. I was able to add my husband 5 days before the cruise when he got the time off because it wasn't at full capacity. The ship never felt full. The ship is designed very well. There are so many places to go and things to do the crowds are dispersed. Unlike DCL where everyone tends to be in the same place at the same time. I believe it holds about the same as the Fantasy.

My daughter will be 16 next September and if she stays at this pace will be a junior right before her birthday. Which means she can dual enroll at a community college nearby. I am sort of torn on this, but we will make a decision soon and see if that is the track she wants to be on.
Common Core math just doesn't work for either one of my kids and I was never able to really explain it to them because it just wasn't logical or practical. Math is challenging enough, there is no need to add extra work to a simple process.
My youngest (son) is definitely smart just doesn't apply himself other than with what he NEEDS to do. I do think he would be a great lawyer though as he could debate anything and by the sheer force of his will, could have you convinced black is green. lol
It really screws up the cruise planning when they want to go to school. Common Core is a big reason why we homeschool. Not a fan at all.

It really screws up the cruise planning when they want to go to school. Common Core is a big reason why we homeschool. Not a fan at all.

Yes, Common core was a huge factor in that decision. I am going to hang onto them as long as possible before sending them off to college. Does that sound selfish? :)

I'm looking at MSC too for 2019 after reading the trip report @Love2Cruz wrote on that other cruise review website. They've got a new ship coming out that looks amazing.
Yes, I plan on booking the Seaside for summer 2018, but I also think the Meraviglia, which is currently only based in Europe, will be even better, check out their LCD ceiling and they also partnered with Cirque du Soleil, and built a special round theater just for their shows.
I was very close to booking it until I snagged and AMAZING price on a Malaga to Venice repo cruise on the Musica (which is a sister ship to the Orchestra, the one I sailed this summer). For two people with a balcony cabin, we are paying $1269 for both of us! Does not include airfare of course, but I will probably fly TAP Portugal and can get air for about $600pp.(hopefully my AMEX miles will cover that if we fly economy.) Three new ports for me, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca and Split, Croatia. The other ports are Palermo, Malta and Venice. I'll fly in 3 days earlier and do a Viator tour which includes a day trip by ferry to Morocco (Tangier) from Malaga and also plan on staying in Venice 1 or 2 nights post cruise. BTW, this is DURING Spring Break week....it will still cost us less than half of a full week on the Fantasy which runs about 5K for a balcony during Spring Break.

Edit* In retrospect, it might be more than half once I add in hotels, and I do like to stay in 5 star hotels, so we'll see what deals I get.

Last edited:
Yes, Common core was a huge factor in that decision. I am going to hang onto them as long as possible before sending them off to college. Does that sound selfish? :)

I HATE common core, it is so stupid, teachers hate it too....I'm wondering if I made a mistake sending my DD to public school. I am really thinking of switching her over to private....but financially, traveling as much as we do would be impossible. I think she gains so much knowledge traveling as much as we do. Not to get into Politics, but Trump said he will get rid of it if elected, so waiting to see how this pans out.

I HATE common core, it is so stupid, teachers hate it too....I'm wondering if I made a mistake sending my DD to public school. I am really thinking of switching her over to private....but financially, traveling as much as we do would be impossible. I think she gains so much knowledge traveling as much as we do. Not to get into Politics, but Trump said he will get rid of it if elected, so waiting to see how this pans out.
Do you have charter schools in Florida. We have some here that don't use common Core. They actually use Saxon math which is very popular with homeschoolers. Of course these schools weren't around when my kids were 5. I think common core has led to more charter schools opening in our area.
Sorry totally off topic.

Do you have charter schools in Florida. We have some here that don't use common Core. They actually use Saxon math which is very popular with homeschoolers. Of course these schools weren't around when my kids were 5. I think common core has led to more charter schools opening in our area.
Sorry totally off topic.
We do have charter schools, but they also teach CC.:guilty: Our zoned school is actually highly rated in the county, but after having a consult with her teacher yesterday and him showing me what 7 y/o are expected to learn, I told him it looked like entry level algebra and he agreed! Teachers are so frustrated with it....as are students.

My kids were in a PS that was also a magnet program for MS students. High end academics with small class sizes and they are definitely advanced because of that.
They were both accepted into the program and actually started algebra at the end of 5th grade. Mix this with stupid CC and you are looking at a train wreck.
I pulled them out at the end of 5th and 6th grades and never looked back.
The charter schools around here are mainly run by corporations and private school was not going to happen either so our best option was homeschooling and I am thankful I have the ability to do that.

My kids were in a PS that was also a magnet program for MS students. High end academics with small class sizes and they are definitely advanced because of that.
They were both accepted into the program and actually started algebra at the end of 5th grade. Mix this with stupid CC and you are looking at a train wreck.
I pulled them out at the end of 5th and 6th grades and never looked back.
The charter schools around here are mainly run by corporations and private school was not going to happen either so our best option was homeschooling and I am thankful I have the ability to do that.
I wouldn't even know how to start home schooling unless I change my shift at work, I currently work part time but work four full days. I barely have enough energy to cook dinner nevermind teaching. How do you guys who work home school? I know it's getting more popular.

Did you pay extra for any restaurant? Did you use their excursions?
I forgot to mention that Carnival did offer some last minute excursions. 20.00 pp to go to Lindos in Rhodes, 20.00 pp for transportation to Pompeii, and 50.00 pp for transportation to Rome. I believe they had one to Pisa also. We opted for the trains. The trains in Italy are very comfortable and cheap. Finding the train station and getting on the right train was and adventure. It's easy on paper and easy once you've done it, but trust me Rick Steves did not write books after one visit.
I wouldn't even know how to start home schooling unless I change my shift at work, I currently work part time but work four full days. I barely have enough energy to cook dinner nevermind teaching. How do you guys who work home school? I know it's getting more popular.
I'm an RN. I have to work 2 12 hour shifts per week. I'm perdiem so I generally work more to pay for all of our cruises. I have the ability to adjust my work hours based on our vacation needs. We basically do school year round at least 3 days a week sometimes 4 or 5. My dh helps out with this. Were pretty flexible. There are all different ways to homeschool. I use a combination of different methods. It's not as time consuming as people think. We spend about 2 or 3 hours on book work, but I'm always teaching. My kids have never been to school. Algebra seems to be incorporated much earlier now, but the math books I use teach it the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

That is where I am blessed. We own our own company and I don't have to work outside the home. I used to volunteer ALOT when the kids were in PS...but nothing I got paid for. lol
My two are also older and pretty self sufficient so my main objectives are to keep them on target with getting their work done as needed, grading projects, quizzes and tests, entering their grades into a report card format and keeping transcripts together. I have them evaluated as they finish a grade level by a certified evaluator for the state and make sure they have sufficient curriculum to support their academic levels.

I hate cooking..so my 13 year old son takes care of that. :) It is part of his goal to be a chef someday and own a restaurant.
And my daughter is convinced she wants to work on a Disney ship (not sure where though..it fluctuates daily) AND she likes to bake and decorate cakes...so I have my domestic chores covered.
Now if I could just get my Doberman trained to pick up his toys and vacumn...I would be good to go. :)
This thread is TOTALLY off topic now. Sorry Offin

Yeah, way off topic, I don't think it's an option for me given my schedule and lack of child care options. She is in both morning and after care due to my work hours, my parents occasionally help out with days off, but they are up their in age so I can't dump on them to watch her 4 days a week on the work days. I keep hoping enough outcry from both parents and teachers will get the powers that be to go back to true and tried teaching methods and get rid of this crap CC.

Ok back to cruising....:sail:I keep checking on CC and CCL website of when they will release Horizon dates/itineraries, and still nothing....pretty late for them, especially since she's scheduled to launch in March of 18. I can't schedule her till Fall/Winter 2018 and then it will be between DCL Wonder or CCL Horizon.:rolleyes1

I forgot to mention that Carnival did offer some last minute excursions. 20.00 pp to go to Lindos in Rhodes, 20.00 pp for transportation to Pompeii, and 50.00 pp for transportation to Rome. I believe they had one to Pisa also. We opted for the trains. The trains in Italy are very comfortable and cheap. Finding the train station and getting on the right train was and adventure. It's easy on paper and easy once you've done it, but trust me Rick Steves did not write books after one visit.

I'm an RN. I have to work 2 12 hour shifts per week. I'm perdiem so I generally work more to pay for all of our cruises. I have the ability to adjust my work hours based on our vacation needs. We basically do school year round at least 3 days a week sometimes 4 or 5. My dh helps out with this. Were pretty flexible. There are all different ways to homeschool. I use a combination of different methods. It's not as time consuming as people think. We spend about 2 or 3 hours on book work, but I'm always teaching. My kids have never been to school. Algebra seems to be incorporated much earlier now, but the math books I use teach it the old fashioned way.
Wao, I did Mediterranean Cruise with Disney and all the tours too,, I think it was about $1000 per person :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter