Add-on-itis before you even close on a property

Mariabelle

Earning My Ears
Has anyone else experienced adding on before you close on one property? When that perfect contract at your desired resort, or UY, or small point contract comes up.

Suggestions to not keep buying contracts!

Has anyone else experienced adding on before you close on one property? When that perfect contract at your desired resort, or UY, or small point contract comes up.

Stop looking at listings?

I don’t buy unless I have the cash to pay in full a closing. That tends to keep me from buying more points before closing on a contract. But I did buy two VGF contracts in a relatively short period. It was the perfect storm - loaded contracts, right amount of points and my UY. No regrets even though it seriously depleted my savings at the time.

We initially bought 160 points direct from Doorway to Dreams store in Chicago. We left for WDW the following day and while there, within our 10 day recind period, called our guide to cancel the original plan and draw up new ones for 200 points instead. After a few French slusshies we almost called back a second time to make it 250...wish we would have :)

If you are signed up to receive the email updates from the different resale companies then I would suggest unsubscribing from the emails. If you can see the perfect listing you can't purchase it. Good luck trying to stay away.

I'm waiting to close on my first DVC contract (resale contract at PVB), but I'm definitely dreaming of buying more points at a different resort to make it possible to either 1) combine points at the two resorts to book a week-long 1-BR stay every year if we want more space, or 2) continue going to PVB every year but be able to bank/borrow at the other resort (possibly Aulani since we love going to Hawaii) to be able to book a 1-BR stay at the second resort every 2 years.

Suggestion to stop: hope your significant other/co-decision maker is willing to throw cold water on the idea!

I'm waiting to close on my first DVC contract (resale contract at PVB), but I'm definitely dreaming of buying more points at a different resort to make it possible to either 1) combine points at the two resorts to book a week-long 1-BR stay every year if we want more space, or 2) continue going to PVB every year but be able to bank/borrow at the other resort (possibly Aulani since we love going to Hawaii) to be able to book a 1-BR stay at the second resort every 2 years.

Suggestion to stop: hope your significant other/co-decision maker is willing to throw cold water on the idea!

I’m sure my significant other will use the cold water! I’m hoping to stay at different resorts for different reasons and seasons. Just the nature of my schedule. Good luck on your Poly purchase!

My wife and I have never had addonitis.

It's called self control.

We bought what we needed for what we thought was a suitable frequency and duration of Disney vacations. There's no need to own points at every resort, or own points for the sake of owning them. We also like to take other types of vacations.

And just from a financial perspective - from a household income standpoint we do very well, but I really can't imagine pouring so much capital into DVC timeshare ownership.

I do agree that add-on-itis happens almost from Day 1. We didn't add on for 3 years, and then only a small (75 pt) contract at BWV for F&W season. However, I have always thought that I would like to have around 300-350 points, and right now we are at 235, so yeah - still always tempted to get another contract. Part of being financially responsible is resisting the lure of a contract you either don't need or can't afford. I suppose if you need and can afford it go ahead.

As previous posters have mentioned -- stop looking at the listings!! Remove yourself from the email listings.

I would refrain from buying another contract until you start using the DVC system and have a good handle on how it will work for you and your family. I say this from experience. I initially bought an AK contract in 2015 - the contract and resort fit our needs for wanting to go to WDW about every other year. So here we are 4 years later and we are buying a poly contract because we love it there. After a couple stays at AK we realized we do like the resort, but the Poly has a different feel that has sucked us in. We are keeping the AK contract for the perks it retains and to have extra points in our back pocket. Early on in our ownership I might have considered adding on more points at AK, but I am glad that we used our contract, got a feel for how DVC works and came to some realizations of what we want from the resort we stay at. Which all of that lead us to buying a different resort.

Yes. Closed today on OKW and have a BWV in ROFR. We definitely have self control, no mortgage, etc. Different people buy for different reasons...actually we have been all over the US and overseas, but we find Disney more disability-friendly than other areas we might visit. In 1996, when we initially bought OKW it was a totally different experience for us in every way. If you want more DVC and can afford it why not? Disney brings us joy and happiness! :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter