[ADDED LINK TO PICS--see 11th post below] DC, VA, MD Disers--Mickey Statues in D.C.

GritsGirl

Mouseketeer
Hello cruisers.....

I posted this info on the main community boards but I thought I would post it here since it seems like a lot of cruisers are from the DC metro area and that board moves SO FAST nothing stays on the first couple of pages for 10 seconds....I hope it is okay to post the same thing twice.....

Mickey Mouse is in Washington, D.C.…….and I took 125 pictures last night (okay, so I got A LITTLE carried away).

I just wanted to share this information:

Mickey Mouse and Raven will be at the Reagan Building and International Trade Center tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m. (Saturday, March 19th). All of the 75th InspEARations Mickey statues (6 feet tall and 700 pounds each) are displayed there and I think they will unveil a 76th one created by a Washington DC muralist. This is the only location outside of Disney World and Disneyland where the 75 Mickeys will be displayed together (they have traveled the country in smaller quantities). All of the Mickeys are the same basic shape and position but they have been decorated and designed by 75 different people (Annette Funicello, Elton John, Tom Hanks, Shaquille O’Neal, Disney animators [like cutie Andreas Deja], etc.). Each statue benefits a charity and after they leave DC, they will go to New York City where they will be auctioned off by Sotheby’s for that statue’s particular charity.

The 3-hour celebration tomorrow is supposed to have “games, prizes, music, activities, and more.” The flier says “see” Mickey and “meet” Raven so I don’t know if MM will be doing a meet and greet or not. The event is free.

You can see all of the Mickeys here:
https://licensing.disney.com/Login/...sh/Mickey75.jsp

By the way, the statues are here through April 30th and they are right at the top of the escalators of the Federal Triangle Metro stop so they are easy to get to if you live in the D.C. area.

Hope this helps somebody.
GritsGirl

Could you tell me where this is in relation to the Mall. We will make a trip to see them. Last year we missed them in Chicago. My daughter is a huge Raven fan. Too bad we can't make it this weekend. If you go to the event, could please take and post photos. I'm so jealous. :sad1:

Thanks for the info ... esp. the metro stop ... I was wondering where the Reagan Building was located!

The Ronald Reagan Building & International Trade Center sits on the block with the cross streets of 14th NW and Pennsylvania Avenue. Garage parking is reached easiest from the 14th St. NW side. The building is accessible by metro on both the Orange and Blue Lines, Federal Triangle stop. There are signs to lead you in the right direction once you step off the trains.

From the National Mall (Constitution Ave.), it's a short walk (less than 1 full block) north on 14th Street. 14th is between the Washington Monument and the Smithsonian Castle (welcome center). Hope this helps.

Here's the web address for the building (has info about parking, directions, etc.) http://www.itcdc.com/about.php?p=7

Thanks Gritsgirl for the info. We wnet and had a great time. DH spent 2.5 hrs in line for 2.5 seconds with Raven. My little one was dressed as a Cheeta Girl and Raven went on and on about it. Real cute. Thanks again!

That's what I get for not checking in on the weekend! I think I'll take my kids down there Wed or Thursday when they're off school. Heck, the metro ride alone is a huge thrill (they call it the monorail) so they'll burst when they see all the mickeys!

Liz

The Washington Post had an article along with some pix in today's (Monday, March 21) paper. It is in the KidPost section.

I didn't know about it!! I am going to have to go next week when my 9 yo DD if off school! It should be interesting taking my almost 2 yo too! Can I take the Orange Line in Springfield to Federal Triangle? How far a walk is it from the Fed. Triangle stop? I've parked at the Reagan Building before, but haven't rode the Metro there before.

Thank you! Thank you! Gritsgirl! Has every city added its own Mickey to the collection? Do you know if there is a special kit at the Home Depot for the Mickey bookends? They are really cute.

My pics didn't come out as wonderful as yours gritsgirl. Thanks for posting.
Here is my Cheeta Girl....

142902873203_0_ALB.jpg

332902873203_0_ALB.jpg

I hope to get up there next week to see them. Thanks for the reminder.
Sue Ellen

We went this weekend. It was wonderful. We almost missed the two Mickeys inside the food court. Does anyone know what will happen with the DC Mickey? He did not have a sticker with the artist's name or charity. We took pictures of all of them, but I am still missing one(I included the two downstairs). Eventhough it was raining on Saturday when we went, it was still great.

In the official DIS pictures (wdwinfo.com pics) that were taken at one of the parks, there is one called Chocolate Mickey.........He was not at the Reagan Building and I don't have any idea why not. Maybe somebody here knows.

I think I had 50 heart attacks on the day they unveiled the DC Mickey because people were climbing ALL OVER the 75 Mickeys-----Mostly hanging from his right arms which would be the weakest point. I was scared they would break because you could see "flex" in them and a couple looked weaker than others. Parents did NOTHING to control the munchkins--half of the parents were kind of "sitting" on the hands to get pictures made also. In the parks they had ropes up (of course when we were at Magic Kingdom there were plenty of people who didn't think the ropes applied to their kids). I hope they all make it to auction.

I don't know what they will do with the DC Mickey.

GirtsGirl

You should have seen kids climbing to the top of his head in DC... I thought I was going to cry. :sad2:

Whew! I thought it was just me who was upset by the people climbing all over the Mickeys. A lot of parents put the child onto the outstretched arms. I also glad that I didn't miscount the statues. So there were still only 75 including the DC Mickey? What a wonderful Disney fix so close to home.

I took pics today, but I guess I'm missing 2 (since they unveiled DC Mickey, I guess there are 76?) Does anyone know where these 2 are?

1) ESPN 25th Anniversary Mickey by Chris Berman and Dick Vitale (has globe in hand with ears being basketball/baseball)
2) Funny Pages by Lori Tyminski, Disney Publishing (Black and Gold with white speckles)

Thanks

Thomas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter