• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adding a half inch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't try to increase their height. If they're not tall enough they just aren't tall enough. For our trip our son may or may not be tall enough for some of the rides we want to go on. Right now he's just under 40". I'm hoping he will grow that extra little bit but if not it's not a big deal. It's not worth risking his safety for a ride. :goodvibes

There are plently of sandals with a wedge bottom out there that I am sure would give her the 1/2 inch she needs.

Bottom line is some kids grow at different rates and if it is a mental health worry as it was suggested in PP, it should be a min. age requirement then. It is a 1/2 inch which many people acheive without even knowing they are doing based on the shoes they put their kid in.

I think some of the measuring posts actually add a slight bit of height to measure for shoes.
We went when DD was just about 41" and she just made it on the 40" rides.
Is this extra height on purpose for counting shoe height? I do not know, but I know when kids are borderline 40" they might make one ride and not another.

Sorry but the rules are there for safety reasons.You can try to circumvent disney rules, and do all manner off things to try to boost height...which btw ,the CMS are tuned onto and are not all that oblivious, and your child still MAY NOT get on.BTW, discussing how to circumvent disney rules is a DISboards violation, which will get the thread closed.

Very Interesting. Thank you for sharing that. I know my youngest loved all the rides she went on last year to include Haunted Mansion while her older friend hated HM. It is interesting to see how some kids react to the same thing but unfortunately for some kids it gest ruined by others.

My then 4 year old daughter did Stitch with us soon after it opened in 2004. We had NO idea what to expect, but she met the height requirement and was a BIG Stitch fan, so we did it. YIKES! :scared1: She screamed through the entire thing and practically crawled out of the harness holding her in. We've been back to Disney many times since then, but have never done Stitch again.... I'm thinking the height requirement on that one should be.... let's see..... I'm 66" talll....... let's make it 67"!!!

On an interesting note, they recently raised the height requirement from 52 to 54" for driving your own car on Indy Speedway. My daughter, now 8 is SO excited about driving her own car, but at 52 or 53" now, is still just short. I do understand this one though. If you've ever been behind a young child driving one of these cars, you know it can ruin YOUR ride, because they don't have the leg strength to keep their car going and just STOP to rest their legs..... So I told my daughter she'll be riding with me again, using my legs for the gas pedal.....

To the OP: One ride on BTMRR or Splash before they are MENTALLY ready can ruin it for years to come too!

Actually if I could make my daughter shorter........

She is so excited that she is finally tall enough for Tower of Terror, however neither my husband nor I really wants to do it with her. And my 2 year old is going to be seriously ticked off for being left out!

Do what you're going to do, these threads always become devisive. I'm not entirely convinced the OP isn't a troll anyway.

But, if you do skirt the rules, or at least attempt to, don't be "that guy". And by "that guy", I mean, don't be a jerk and yell at a CM who won't allow your precious little princess/pirate on a ride because they are enforcing the rules. Shrug your shoulders, turn around, and say, "oh well Bobby/Cindy, maybe next time, let's go get a Dole Whip" and be done.

OMG, why would anyone make a big deal about 1/2 an inch?

_______

Seriosuly, THAT is 1/2 an inch!

If Disney rides have THAT much of an issue as far as SAFETY is concerned that 1/2 an inch makes THAT MUCH of a difference, well then, perhaps NOBODY 1/2 OVER the height limitations should ride either!

Seriously.

I doubt anyone would notice anyways! Perhaps you are just here to stir the pot...

I have been wondering something similar - but I am not trying to get around Disney rules.

We have always measured DD's height without shoes on. While planning our trip, I measured her and she is about 47 1/2 inches tall. If I measure her while she is wearing her normal sneakers, her height is slightly over 48 inches.

Has anyone dealt with this before? My daughter is curious as to whether she will be allowed to ride the couple of rides that have 48 inch requirements - RNRC, etc. I have told her that she probably won't be able to ride these, but I am curious - if she is 48 inches tall wearing her shoes, will she meet the height requirements? How easy is it to check before we get in line?

OP, both rides you mentioned along with Space Mountain, the cm's had my grandd take her shoes off to be measured since she was that close. Poor thing missed it by a bit but she lived!

Be prepared if she is that close to making the height requirement that they will ask her to take off her shoes. Magic Kingdom was the only park they did that. She rode everything at Seaworld and in other parks but not those rides mentioned.

HTH

Kelly

I'm not entirely convinced the OP isn't a troll anyway.
I had the same thought.

But, if you do skirt the rules, or at least attempt to, don't be "that guy". And by "that guy", I mean, don't be a jerk and yell at a CM who won't allow your precious little princess/pirate on a ride because they are enforcing the rules. Shrug your shoulders, turn around, and say, "oh well Bobby/Cindy, maybe next time, let's go get a Dole Whip" and be done.

Exactly!

OMG, why would anyone make a big deal about 1/2 an inch?

_______

Seriosuly, THAT is 1/2 an inch!

If Disney rides have THAT much of an issue as far as SAFETY is concerned that 1/2 an inch makes THAT MUCH of a difference, well then, perhaps NOBODY 1/2 OVER the height limitations should ride either!

Seriously.

I doubt anyone would notice anyways! Perhaps you are just here to stir the pot...

The problem with your thinking is that if a half an inch is such a minor amount, well, then they should lower the standard. But then someone else will say "my kid is only a half an inch smaller than that". The minimum keeps lowering until someone gets hurt, it's the line in the sand. That is why the standard is there. It's more about following the rules than the actual safety that gets a lot of people fired up.

This is not a new arguement, it's always devisive and everyone's logic/thinking can be disputed one way or another.

I'm going to close this thread now. The DIS does not allow discussions on how to get around Disney's rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter