• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adding gift cards to room account?

Jen_R

Earning My Ears
We have 4 digital Disney gift cards ($500 each) that we want to use for our dining expenses on this trip. Is it possible to have these added to our room account when we check in so that we can just charge our meals or other expenses to our room instead of having to show the digital gift cards each time we want to pay something? Normally we would just charge things to our room and have it go on our credit card but we're hoping we can use the gift cards.

Any advice on how to best handle this? TIA!
Jen

You can only link a credit/debit card to the room. However it is not charged until it reaches a certain threshold on the account, used to be value $500, Moderate $100, deluxe $1500. Once you have a balance on the account you can stop by the front desk and apply the gift card to the outstanding balance on the account. This was a few years ago and I have not heard of a change, but haven't been to WDW since COVID.

You can only link a credit/debit card to the room. However it is not charged until it reaches a certain threshold on the account, used to be value $500, Moderate $100, deluxe $1500. Once you have a balance on the account you can stop by the front desk and apply the gift card to the outstanding balance on the account. This was a few years ago and I have not heard of a change, but haven't been to WDW since COVID.

Thanks! This is what I remembered from several years ago but I wasn't sure if it had changed. We'll be at the Poly so with the higher limit, we should be able to just stop by the front desk every couple of days and use our gift card to pay what has been charged.

There have been some reports recently on a different group that guests have been able to apply whole gift cards for future purchases AFTER they make one charge to their room. I am planning to try this next month. :-)

Can confirm this. Stayed at Coronado pre-covid and was able to apply gift cards once there was a balance. Stayed at Saratoga Springs this February and was told that they charge your card at $2K for a deluxe. Difference could be because it was a villa.

Thanks Everyone! Either way will work for us. I will be sure to ask at check in because it would be so much easier if we can apply the gift cards after making a first charge.

Just keep in mind that they will put a hold for $100 on your CC or debit card when you check in, and whenever your balance exceeds $100 they’ll add another $100 to that hold. But you can still go down and pay off your balance with GCs whenever you want.

Every night I went to the lobby to pay off room charges with a gift card because I wasn’t sure at what amount it would automatically hit the credit card. But it worked really well for me!

Just came back and I was able to pay off our room charges the night before we checked out. It is a lot easier now because you can use the credit card scanner to use your card instead of the agent having to add each card by hand. You can also see your room charges on the app under your resort hotel. Another trick to use a gift card using mobile order is to put a gift card number in your notes app and you can paste the number into your mobile order. Hope this makes sense!

Depending on where you're staying, charging to cc can be time sensitive, not just dollar value. We have had Pop charge our cc after 4 or 5 days even though the amount was less than $500 so it's recommended every 3-4 days to pop by guest services and pay off the balance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter