Adding on Direct

princessfionasmom

DIS Veteran
I want to add on 100pts direct at Riviera and have a couple of questions.

Is there any advantage to doing it in person (I live 30 mins away so getting there is no problem)?
If yes, which would be best - going to Riviera or going to Saratoga?
I ready somewhere that someone added on in person and asked for the backpack and got one (a new design) anyone else had this experience?
Military discount, anyone with experience know what it is (husband is retired military)?
Lastly, I have no idea who our guide is. Do I just call and ask who it is or show up and take whoever is available?

I know resale is cheaper, we have a resale contract. I want the direct points at Riviera not only to use there but other places as well. I have stayed at Riviera using our other direct points and absolutely love it.

I really thought living closer I wouldn't need many points but it's the opposite! Now I can take more staycations since we are so close and definitely want to spend more time at Vero Beach as well.

Thanks for your help!

I don’t think there is an advantage for onsite except for the potential to get something like the backpack if they have any left

The new gift is the water bottle and cooling towel!

When you call they will connect you with whomever your guide is or assign you one.

I did buy with a CM discount when my DD worked for Disney and we just had to provide them with a copy of her work ID and employee number. I assume it’s similar for military

I don’t think there is an advantage for onsite except for the potential to get something like the backpack if they have any left

The new gift is the water bottle and cooling towel!

When you call they will connect you with whomever your guide is or assign you one.

I did buy with a CM discount when my DD worked for Disney and we just had to provide them with a copy of her work ID and employee number. I assume it’s similar for military
I have been reading that some people were getting 90 days to spread out their purchases. Is it 4 payments over 90 days? My guide is only offering 3 payments over 60 days, payment on day zero, at 30 days and then at 60 days.

Thanks.

My guide just allowed me 4 payments spread over 90 days, my first payment was day zero, I bought 2 weeks ago and used my Disney visa.

Also, does anybody happen to know when the gift comes in the mail? Lol

I have been reading that some people were getting 90 days to spread out their purchases. Is it 4 payments over 90 days? My guide is only offering 3 payments over 60 days, payment on day zero, at 30 days and then at 60 days.

Thanks.

I asked and my guide did get approval for the 90 days. I payed the deposit on March 3rd and then was billed in three more installments…April 1st, May 1st, and June 1st.

It is not automatic and is not offered...my guide initial state the 30 days. But I asked if he could get me the 90 and said he thought he could.

So, if the 90 days matter just ask if it would be possible and if you talking with a manager would help.

I want to add on 100pts direct at Riviera and have a couple of questions.
Will they let you buy 100 points only? When we added on RVA they made it seem like the first one had to be 150 min and then we could split it any way we want. I was buying more than 150 so wasn't a big deal and was really only for how we want to split it for the kids and also if we want to resale in the future (really planning on holding till end of contract but you never know).

Also, would you want to just go for 150 to get the discounts and other benefits? Either way best of luck. RVA is a beautiful resort.

When I was at riviera last month we constantly saw guides buying people drinks at le petit cafe so I think that is one perk to buying in person lol!
We used our day with the guide to tour 4 resorts and load up on as much stuff as possible. We really did want to see the resorts to help us make sure the investment was worth it. The kids loved the chocolate drink they got at the cafe :)

Walked away with lots of bags, pins, and other goodies…. Plus a RVA contract :)

We used our day with the guide to tour 4 resorts and load up on as much stuff as possible. We really did want to see the resorts to help us make sure the investment was worth it. The kids loved the chocolate drink they got at the cafe :)

Walked away with lots of bags, pins, and other goodies…. Plus a RVA contract :)
How did the guide offer you a drink? Did you say you wanted to sit down and talk to someone and the guide just said “do you want a drink to bring with you to the discussion?”

Really? First I heard of that. I thought they didn't have any bags or pins to give you?

I got the postcard when I toured RIV.
They've got SWAG bags at VGC as well. The drawstring ones with some stuff inside. I didn't look inside one, as I was only there for lunch at Storyteller's, but they definitely had bags filled with something more than a postcard. When I stopped by maybe 6 months ago, to ask about VDH, they gave me one as well. Had a few cools things in it.

How did the guide offer you a drink? Did you say you wanted to sit down and talk to someone and the guide just said “do you want a drink to bring with you to the discussion?”
Really? First I heard of that. I thought they didn't have any bags or pins to give you?

I got the postcard when I toured RIV.
We didn’t use the “standard” on property guides. I had cold called a DVC rep months ago to see if there was a snowballs chance of VGC direct (there isn’t) or to start a dialogue about VDH. Over the months we stayed in touch about things and then we decided we didn’t want all of our points at California resorts but I know nothing about WDW so I wanted to tour a few resorts before making the plunge. We setup a sort of last minute trip for the 4th of July holiday weekend.

The drinks were a surprise and it was nice to enjoy while doing the tour. Our guide also seemed to like the perk too :).

Our guide definitely did not find the older dvc member backpack in a closet and give us one (cough cough wink wink). We also got pins and other goodies at the resorts. Was a fun day. But net was some of the most expensive Disney merch ever LOL.

Will they let you buy 100 points only? When we added on RVA they made it seem like the first one had to be 150 min and then we could split it any way we want. I was buying more than 150 so wasn't a big deal and was really only for how we want to split it for the kids and also if we want to resale in the future (really planning on holding till end of contract but you never know).

Also, would you want to just go for 150 to get the discounts and other benefits? Either way best of luck. RVA is a beautiful resort.
I was told that as long as you are adding the same UY, you could add on the minimum amount but it depended on the resort. The 150 minimum is if they are creating a new contract, which is needed if the UY is different from what you have already.

New buyers are required to have 150 to start in one contract.

If you are already an owner, then you can add on as little as 50 points at RIV.

They've got SWAG bags at VGC as well. The drawstring ones with some stuff inside. I didn't look inside one, as I was only there for lunch at Storyteller's, but they definitely had bags filled with something more than a postcard. When I stopped by maybe 6 months ago, to ask about VDH, they gave me one as well. Had a few cools things in it.
I have like 4 of these swag bags, 3 from different stays at VGC and one for just stopping by when I had questions about my DVC. I don't know if they're doing it now but last year they would call your room to remind you to stop by for a "free gift" and seeing you have to walk by the DVC office when leaving your room, why not right? 😁 There were pins, postcards, luggage tags, stickers and once time there was this weird fancy wooden box that I'm not sure what it's for. All I ever gotten from WDW is Riviera and Luca prints.

I have like 4 of these swag bags, 3 from different stays at VGC and one for just stopping by when I had questions about my DVC. I don't know if they're doing it now but last year they would call your room to remind you to stop by for a "free gift" and seeing you have to walk by the DVC office when leaving your room, why not right? 😁 There were pins, postcards, luggage tags, stickers and once time there was this weird fancy wooden box that I'm not sure what it's for. All I ever gotten from WDW is Riviera and Luca prints.
I got the wooden box too. It was all DVC SWAG stuff from DCL. I still have the box somewhere.

Found it.

5843AA7F-5AC7-4378-9244-CCD816653B9F.jpeg
9EE5C762-0B29-4CD6-A58D-7E03AD337430.jpeg
E73C5F8F-AA10-4D56-A888-907621DE07F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input! I am so excited that we added on points at Riviera. I absolutely love the resort. Since we our UY is Oct I get the current years points to that I can bank which is great. While I had no success getting a backpack, not for lack of trying lol, I’m happy to have my points. Riviera is definitely one of my favorite places to stay. I did get it in yesterday before the new incentives and didn‘t get anything with the military because it starts at 125pts but I’m still happy with my purchase.

My guide just allowed me 4 payments spread over 90 days, my first payment was day zero, I bought 2 weeks ago and used my Disney visa.

Also, does anybody happen to know when the gift comes in the mail? Lol
Can’t remember for our first contract. But for our most recent contract, it was about two weeks after the last payment and the contract closed.

Can’t remember for our first contract. But for our most recent contract, it was about two weeks after the last payment and the contract closed.
This is my second contract so that's good to know! I wasn't sure if I had to close first before I got the gift or not, thank you!

Anyone else wringing their hands over Resale vs Direct prices for a small add on ??
I really would like some more points at BCV, and had hoped the resale prices would have started to decline, in light of the fact that there are only 20 years left on their shelf-life. I need at least 70 more points, but would consider 100 if I could get them at the price I paid during COVID ( I got 30 points for $140/point).
I've looked at the numbers a dozen different times, and $265/Point vs $165/Point is a simple calculation, but I'm in a constant struggle over the pros/cons of resale vs direct, at that price difference. Add to that the fact that it's hard finding a small contract for BCV with my June Use Year. I just can't get my mind around the $265 Direct Price for a 2042 Resort. I could probably make the $165 price work, if I could find 100 points at that price with a JUNE Use Year. Buying that same 100 direct, even with a few months of free financing on the Disney Visa, is a bit beyond my comfort zone.
Is it wrong of me to hope that resale prices will fall once again if the U.S. economy continues to struggle??
Once we booked our first DVC stay at BCV, using 2-years worth of those resale points, we were hooked on the location. We have stayed at BWV, and thought it was also very nice, but BCV is just too GREAT!, and the advantages compared to BWV can't be ignored in my analysis. First-World-Problem, eh ??:):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter