Adding Points to Existing DVC Resell

Jkarrows

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked a million and one times, we brought our DVC points via resell but after 2011 so it means we did not get the discounts that you get before this date.

Now i am looking at adding some more points, we currently have 250 points at SSR with use month June.

Now if i contact Disney direct and buy another 75 points with a June use year can i then add then to my exiting account and get all the perks and have one account and act like i have 325 points.

Or will this not work, has Disney closed a loop hole in getting around this?

Am i missing something?

If you buy your direct points at SSR and the UY is the same, then you will have all points available at the 11 month window. I also believe if same resort but not same UY you can pool into one account for that resort.

If the direct points are at another DVC then all points will be available at the 7 month window.

Taking a step back, are you buying 75 points because you need 75 points? Or are you just looking for perks? If you bought prior to 2016, you should have all the blue-card discounts. Prior to 2011, you were able to exchange your points into DCL and their collections resorts (ABD, DLP, etc.).

If you bought in prior to 2016, the points qualify the membership for all the perks and you should already be getting all the discounts.

We have only just brought the points in 2019.

We are looking at getting the 75 points to get the discounts.

Unless there is another method of course?

If you buy your direct points at SSR and the UY is the same, then you will have all points available at the 11 month window. I also believe if same resort but not same UY you can pool into one account for that resort.

If the direct points are at another DVC then all points will be available at the 7 month window.

OK thank you, so i guess we are better off just buying more SSR points.

How much discount do you get off the Dinning Plan if your a full member?
There is no discount for the Dining Plan. What the advantage is here is you don’t have to buy park tickets to get it and I believe the DVC prices only increase once a year.

To clarify, use year doesn't matter for your 11 month window at SSR. And though having different use years makes booking a bit more annoying there are advantages to having multiple use years (and thus memberships) - you get 2 waitlists, 1 transfer, and 24 one time use points per *membership* not owner. You also can get more tickets to DVC special events with multiple memberships.

That said, DVC is reluctant to sell direct points to someone in a use year they don't already own. I hesitate to say never (I look to those with more experience) but I know firsthand that they are very reluctant to do so. I didn't get to find out if that meant 'never' because in the end they didn't have the VGC points to sell me anyway.

Since you bought the original set of SSR resale in 2019, you're right that the only way to get discounts and perks is to buy 75 points direct. No end run around that. Disney will sell you 75 points in the same UY, and it'll show up on your dashboard as one big pot of 325 points.

Only the 75 points will be eligible to trade into Disney Collection or cruises, or to book Riviera. The new 75 won't convert the status of your existing points.

How much discount do you get off the Dinning Plan if your a full member?

No dining plan discounts. However, there are discounts at most of the sit down restaurants. I, personally, used a 40% off discount at Maria and Enzo's in February. My wife and I had a great lunch with appetizer, entree, and drinks for a total outlay of $32. I also used a 20% discount at Restaurant Marrakesh, and 10% discounts at many other locations. At the end of our 10 night trip, we calculated that we saved 25% over what the deluxe dining plan would have cost us, and got nothing more other than 10 extra snack credits (which, to be fair, we didn't need). To be fair, some of these discounts are identical to annual pass holder discounts, and a few are duplicated with Disney Chase Visa card holder discounts.

There is no discount for the Dining Plan. What the advantage is here is you don’t have to buy park tickets to get it and I believe the DVC prices only increase once a year.

OH, OK, when we stay we always use the Disney Dinning Plan as it makes life so much easier for my family, if there is no discount on this when buying an extra 75 points direct from Disney then i do not see any advantages for our family at this time, we would not book any of the Disney Cruise, Concierge or adventures by Disney so i guess at this point of time there is no real benefits to purchase direct from Disney.

Maybe that will change in the future as i know they are not allowing resell to book new hotels so would have to buy some direct points to open up those hotels but i have 14 great hotels at present so again no real rush.

Maybe that will change in the future as i know they are not allowing resell to book new hotels so would have to buy some direct points to open up those hotels but i have 14 great hotels at present so again no real rush.
Also remember to book the new hotels only direct points qualify, not all of your points (any resale after 1/19/19 wouldn't still).

Also remember to book the new hotels only direct points qualify, not all of your points (any resale after 1/19/19 wouldn't still).

Yes this is true and the point i was trying to make and sorry if it did not come across in that way.

f there is no discount on this when buying an extra 75 points direct from Disney then i do not see any advantages for our family at this time...
The financial advantages of being a 'Blue card' member are the ability to buy discounted Annual Passes (APs), the ability to buy Tables in Wonderland (TiW), discounts on dining, and discounts on merchandise and tours/special events.

If you are using those 250 (or 325) points per year to stay in a studio that's around 2 1/2 (or 3+) weeks on average. At that point APs - particularly discounted ones - make sense. Also, I would expect the DVC (or TiW) discounts would make paying 'cash' for your meals substantially cheaper than the Disney Dining Plan.

The financial advantages of being a 'Blue card' member are the ability to buy discounted Annual Passes (APs), the ability to buy Tables in Wonderland (TiW), discounts on dining, and discounts on merchandise and tours/special events.

If you are using those 250 (or 325) points per year to stay in a studio that's around 2 1/2 (or 3+) weeks on average. At that point APs - particularly discounted ones - make sense. Also, I would expect the DVC (or TiW) discounts would make paying 'cash' for your meals substantially cheaper than the Disney Dining Plan.

I was told you still could possibly buy Tables In Wonderland with resell, some people have managed to buy and some have not.

As for the 250 points we will use them to stay in a one bedroom for two weeks every other year.

Have been looking tonight at the TIW card and the discounts against buying the Dining Plan, the only way to 100% get the card is to buy an annual pass outside DVC.

Last edited:
I was told you still could buy Tables In Wonderland with resell, some people have managed to buy and some have not.

As for the 250 points we will use them to stay in a one bedroom for two weeks every other year.

Have been looking tonight at the TIW card and the discounts against buying the Dining Plan, the only way to 100% get the card is to buy an annual pass outside DVC.
1BR for two weeks EOY would also make APs worthwhile - particularly given all the side benefits like the Photopass.

I can't really speak to resale owners buying TiW...except insofar as I am a grandfathered 'Blue card' resale buyer and buy TiW. But TiW is theoretically for AP holders, DVC 'Blue card' members, and Florida Residents.

1BR for two weeks EOY would also make APs worthwhile - particularly given all the side benefits like the Photopass.

I can't really speak to resale owners buying TiW...except insofar as I am a grandfathered 'Blue card' resale buyer and buy TiW. But TiW is theoretically for AP holders, DVC 'Blue card' members, and Florida Residents.

OK thank you, just trying to find the best price of an annual pass outside Florida and DVC.

One thing i have noticed is with the Platinum pass you get 20% discount on select dinning, is this not the same as the TIW card?

OK thank you, just trying to find the best price of an annual pass outside Florida and DVC.

One thing i have noticed is with the Platinum pass you get 20% discount on select dinning, is this not the same as the TIW card?
I don’t think the Platinum pass includes alcohol which TIW does. If you drink cocktails or get a bottle of wine with dinner the TIW card can make a big difference. We love our TIW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter