• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adding Resale DVC points with Direct Purchased points.

bazbirjis

DisneyFan4ever
Hello All,

My name is Birjis. I am a new DVC member. We purchased our first ever DVC direct with Disney and I cannot stop raving about it. Right after the purchase we made our very first amazing DVC vacation in April this year at GF resort and Spa in 3bed GV. Since we were party of 12 that place still had room left for few more people it was that huge! and our experience as a DVC member was so exceptional that its leading us to invest more into it. We are looking to add on more points but since you all know the points now have really gone high in price which is leaning us towards resale. I have only one concern, I did lot of research and read many blogs and post and they all mentioned that you cannot use your resale points towards Adventures by Disney and Cruise line. We won't be using anyways for the cruise line since it is not a bang for your bucks. But we are definitely considering Adventures by Disney. So my concern and question is, can you add and combine your direct points with your resale? for instance if we have 500 Direct purchase points and we bought 500 more from resale, can we merge them and count it as 1000? towards booking our vacations not just for Disney resorts but also for Adventure by disney? If any one over here has better information or idea please share I will be glad to hear and will really appreciate :)

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Resale contracts are not eligible to exchange into the adventures by disney program. Even if you bought the same resort and UY as your current direct contract, the resale points would still subject to current restrictions.

No, with resale restrictions, you will not be able to combine the direct and resale points into Disney Adventure. It might be better to bank or borrow your direct points for the Disney Adventure, then use the resale points for DVC resorts.

Owning direct points does not alter the restrictions on the future purchase of points on the resale market.

Now, resale and direct points if the same home resort and UY can be used to book DVC resorts together. However, any current resale purchase is even limited to booking only the original 14 resorts and would not be eligible to combine with the direct points to book any future DVC resorts including Rivera and Reflections.

Adventure by Disney was an even worse trade than cruises the last time I looked. You’d still want to rent out your DVC points and pay cash if you were intending to use your DVC to “pay” for ABD or DCL.

Thank you all for your great replies and comments. Really appreciate it. I guess we will do the math as to how to utilize if we do invest through resale since there are too many restrictions.

Thank you all for your great replies and comments. Really appreciate it. I guess we will do the math as to how to utilize if we do invest through resale since there are too many restrictions.

DVC can be a great Value if you use it for staying at DVC resorts. For anything else it becomes very expensive. The resale restrictions are not that great at all in that regard and for the most part save buyers money by restricting them from expensive trades. For large amounts of points it’s several thousands of dollars in up front costs too, not just the expensive trades. The other things like discounted APs etc that most are concerned about you already have access to with the direct points you already own. Further investigation will be good and I’d recommend reconsidering the thought that resale on top of a direct purchase comes with too many restrictions.

DVC can be a great Value if you use it for staying at DVC resorts. For anything else it becomes very expensive. The resale restrictions are not that great at all in that regard and for the most part save buyers money by restricting them from expensive trades. For large amounts of points it’s several thousands of dollars in up front costs too, not just the expensive trades. The other things like discounted APs etc that most are concerned about you already have access to with the direct points you already own. Further investigation will be good and I’d recommend reconsidering the thought that resale on top of a direct purchase comes with too many restrictions.

I completely agree with you on advice for reconsideration to purchase DVC resale. However as a member my mind would definitely feel somewhat for not be able to book any new resort with those resale points. As much as I want to lean towards resale there is something holding me back. Specially looking at this beautiful Riviera and future coming up ones. We are a family of 6 and parents visit often that brings us to 9-10. Looking for vacations every year or once every two years we would definitely need plenty points and for sure the GV 😊

I completely agree with you on advice for reconsideration to purchase DVC resale. However as a member my mind would definitely feel somewhat for not be able to book any new resort with those resale points. As much as I want to lean towards resale there is something holding me back. Specially looking at this beautiful Riviera and future coming up ones. We are a family of 6 and parents visit often that brings us to 9-10. Looking for vacations every year or once every two years we would definitely need plenty points and for sure the GV 😊

How many points did you already purchase? Remember you can use banking and/or borrowing to have enough qualified points to stay at the new resorts every 2 or 3 years should you wish. And there are 14 other resorts to stay at with the resale points. Also DVC is careful to remind buyers that no future resorts are guaranteed to happen. I expect they will but then again how many more will they build at WDW?

Owning direct points does not alter the restrictions on the future purchase of points on the resale market.

Now, resale and direct points if the same home resort and UY can be used to book DVC resorts together. However, any current resale purchase is even limited to booking only the original 14 resorts and would not be eligible to combine with the direct points to book any future DVC resorts including Rivera and Reflections.
so if I own direct points and i'm looking to add points through resale, I need to buy at the same resort and same UY to use all the combined points to book another resort?

so if I own direct points and i'm looking to add points through resale, I need to buy at the same resort and same UY to use all the combined points to book another resort?

The same resort and UY will keep all your points in the same membership. Anything else gives you a different one..it would be like being two different owners,

What that would mean is that you’d have to book some nights on one membership and some on the other and then ask MS to note on each it is the same traveling group.

Or you would have to transfer points from one to the other to book but the would have to call as transferred points don’t show up online. And if they are a different resort, they can’t be used with your other points till 7 months.

I own 3 UYs so it’s a bit to manage. However each one has enough points that I use them as if they were my only one since I use them at different times of the year.

But, unless you have a reason to own more than 1, having the same is easier to manage.

How many points did you already purchase? Remember you can use banking and/or borrowing to have enough qualified points to stay at the new resorts every 2 or 3 years should you wish. And there are 14 other resorts to stay at with the resale points. Also DVC is careful to remind buyers that no future resorts are guaranteed to happen. I expect they will but then again how many more will they build at WDW?

That’s true, how many will they open in future guess 14 is good enough. But I was hearing rumors about Star Wars opening in future? I really wish they reconsider the restrictions made on resale. It’s only for the benefit of WDW 😎

That’s true, how many will they open in future guess 14 is good enough. But I was hearing rumors about Star Wars opening in future? I really wish they reconsider the restrictions made on resale. It’s only for the benefit of WDW 😎
Chances are that the Star Wars Hotel is not going to be DVC, if that is what you are thinking.

Maybe with a Jedi mind trip it could be. That would be a killer to resale not to get into that one.

Maybe with a Jedi mind trip it could be. That would be a killer to resale not to get into that one.
I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I wouldn't be interested into a Star Wars DVC Resort, I really don't think that there would be enough interest to financially support such a resort. And I can only imagine what the MF's would be.

There is a Star Wars hotel opening but it is definitely not DVC. The only one that is upcoming beyond Riviera is Reflections. And that isn't slated to open for 2 years I believe? Maybe 3? So that is just 2 resorts you'd be restricted from booking with resale points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter