ADHD and WDW

Bussey

Earning My Ears
My 4-yr son has been recently dianogised with ADHD. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice to make our family trip a little easier or happier. He is a great kid, but gets bored real easy and does have melt downs when he doesn't get his way and we are also worried about the plane ride. We are hoping he doesn't freak out at the airport and not want to get on the plane...Oh my to think about that makes me sweat...

I have a 12yr boy who is ADHD, last OCT we had a flight only 1:30 long thank god, because at the end he was starting to get antcy (spelling).

But he took his CD player and listened to some music took some snacks.

Not sure how long your flight will be, and not sure what he likes but take some things to keep his mind and body busy.......

Brooke :flower:

Well see the problem is that we have a connecting flight with a delay of 3 HOURS!!! So i am afraid that the first flight he will be fine b/c he will not know what to be expecting but then the connecting flight him not wanting to get back on board to get to florida and then we are strand ....I hoping his dr might be able to give us somthing to "mellow" him out if need be....We are new to ADHD and not sure what to expect...he is really noise sensitive so we are planning on taking ear plugs along and we did take a trip to mall of america to get use to noise and crowds and the rides and he did ok there with only a few melt downs...so wish us luck!!!

I had same concern with DD8 last year. ADHD and first time flying. I gave her some gravol (first time, child dose) and some cough syrup (recommended by dr. since she was just finishing up with an ear infection) and antibiotics (for an ear infection). WELL, DD is not medicated for the ADHD and has had very little meds (for colds etc) throughout her life. The combination of these meds (plus having to get up at 3am for flight) knocked her out and she slept for the entire flight. I felt so upset with myself since she missed most of her first ever flight. I AM not suggesting you do this med combination, but I would check with the doctor and see what he/she recommends. Next flight I am going to skip the gravol, since our flight I have read that it makes a lot of kids VERY sleepy.

Maybe you could also consider about reading your child stories about kids on planes and possibly visit the airport before the flight.
Suzy V.

I am an adult who sometimes has severe anxiety with noise (and flying, but that seems to be more of an adult or older child problem). I like to use the ear muff style of hearing protection. I tried earplugs on a plane once and had big pressure problems when I removed them in flight.

I think hand held video games are great for kids with ADHD and sensory issues for waiting times in lines :-) PSP works great for both son and daughter. I hope you have fun!!!!
JenJen

If you do decide to try any medication, try it out before you go. On the plane is not a good time to find out that the medicine does things that will be a problem - like knocks them out so much you have to carry the child out of the plane, or has the opposite effect and makes them totally owly.

I echo what JEnJen said and can sum up how we get through flights with our DD7 with ADHD:

GAMEBOY! :cool1:

We try not to let her use it a lot, but save it for long car rides, longer meals in restaurants and airplane trips.

While you have your airport layover move around. Go to a food court. See if there is anything interesting to do in the airport, watch planes. If you can, see if you can get a day pass to one of those clubs owned by the airlines. We have been in there before and (if your kids are not too disruptive) it is much more calming than being in the terminal.

Some people will tell you to give your kids benedryl to help keep their ears clear and make them sleep. I will tell you this only stimulates my DD. I always give her sudafed before a flight to keep her ears clear. I found out by accident that it makes her sleepy instead of jumpy. :banana:

That makes sense about the Medication because medications work the opposite for kids with ADHD. That is why stimulants such as Ritalin and Adderal calm them. So Benadryl would make them hyper and sudafed would calm them. Sudafed is a mild stimulant so if any of your kids are on a stimulant already for there ADHD ask the pharmacist first!!!!
JenJen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter