Admin Please Close Thread.

I use Facebook and Twitter regularly but man some of the arguments people have on both sites have definitely made me lose some brain cells. I can't stop looking away though!! I don't have Instagram because I hate that site's layout and the less that can be said about TikTok the better.

On Twitter I do follow people that have insider connections to Disney and Universal so it's cool to read what they have to say.
It drives my wife crazy, but Facebook seems like the place to go for current information from area restaurants and businesses. A couple have websites that haven't been updated in years, literally. But they update their Facebook on almost a daily basis.

As far as journalism, I think you can look at when the fairness doctrine was abolished. This seems to be the core as to when this all started to erode.

Also, there really isn’t enough true news with breaking information to fill up 24 hours of content, especially on multiple channels… so everything has to be sensationalized and analyzed and panels have to come in and discuss it versus giving facts and letting people make up their own minds. A lot of these “news” shows (on both sides) are basically the modern day equivalents to newspaper editorials. Informative, yes, but opinion pieces still the same.

The thing I use Facebook for the most honestly is Disney Cruise groups… and occasionally keeping up with some of the people I have met on cruises or Disney and dance mom (my DD used to be a ballet dancer) friends I’ve made across the country and the globe. I don’t really post much (maybe five times a year if that) on my page. I do, however, like to post in Disney Cruise groups and connect with people and make friends.

I also adore tiktok. It really depends on what algorithm (FYP) you get on TikTok, but the Disney one is fantastic. I’m on a couple for some of my health issues and special needs son that are great informative posts that I just really enjoy that sometimes make me feel not so alone with some of the struggles I go through. I don’t make videos, but I enjoy the content others put out there.

Good morning! I woke up with a headache today ☹️. I started my diet on Monday and my body isn’t happy I’m not feeding it a steady stream of sugar. My kids are in the thick of AP exams and stressing a bit. I can’t wait for the weekend!!!!

I'm thankful I don't have any kids taking AP classes this year. I always dreaded this time of year for that exact reason. Our daughter who is a senior decided not to take any AP classes this year because she wanted her senior year to be less stressful than her sophomore and junior years were. We were ok with that because she still took challenging/honors classes.

As far as journalism, I think you can look at when the fairness doctrine was abolished. This seems to be the core as to when this all started to erode.

Also, there really isn’t enough true news with breaking information to fill up 24 hours of content, especially on multiple channels… so everything has to be sensationalized and analyzed and panels have to come in and discuss it versus giving facts and letting people make up their own minds. A lot of these “news” shows (on both sides) are basically the modern day equivalents to newspaper editorials. Informative, yes, but opinion pieces still the same.
yes, this just in………Charles Lindbergh has landed in Paris….

You hear breaking news from yesterday Or even day before over the weekend. It may still be news but not “this just in to our desk” news.

Also the talking heads that have a set of questions to ask, even if the guest included the answer in a previous comment.

I'm thankful I don't have any kids taking AP classes this year. I always dreaded this time of year for that exact reason. Our daughter who is a senior decided not to take any AP classes this year because she wanted her senior year to be less stressful than her sophomore and junior years were. We were ok with that because she still took challenging/honors classes.
DS17 has APUSH today, then his college calculus final on Monday. He'll be a senior next year, too, doing dual enrollment, so the only HS class he needs is English 4. I think everything else will be at the college. Since they don't offer his major--chemical engineering--he'll take calc and chem, then a bunch of fun (to him) classes like geography and conversational French. He's looking forward to "not the endless HS classes", if you will.

DS17 has APUSH today, then his college calculus final on Monday. He'll be a senior next year, too, doing dual enrollment, so the only HS class he needs is English 4. I think everything else will be at the college. Since they don't offer his major--chemical engineering--he'll take calc and chem, then a bunch of fun (to him) classes like geography and conversational French. He's looking
forward to "not the endless HS classes", if you will.
It’s so nice that he can get ahead and enjoy some of his classes, that’s the whole point of learning. It shouldn’t be drudgery.

My son graduates HS next week and he and his
friends are all so ready to move on, junior year really was the toughest. Once all the college applications were done in the fall, they were all pretty much on cruise control.

It’s so nice that he can get ahead and enjoy some of his classes, that’s the whole point of learning. It shouldn’t be drudgery.
This was our thought, as well. Chem. Eng. is a tough route, and engineering generally doesn't offer much chance for fun electives. We're not rushing him to graduate college early--dual enrollment was his idea, not ours. So, have a good time and learn something fun (to you). I also think it's good to exercise different parts of the brain.

Funny story, since this is such a "potpourri" thread--DS17 came out of calculus all excited the other day--a girl in his class had flags of Honduras and Kyrgystan on her backpack! It turns out, she has a parent from each country--and she happened to run into the only person, probably in our entire city, who could identify both flags by sight. I mean, I could maybe get Honduras...maybe...given enough time...and google.

This was our thought, as well. Chem. Eng. is a tough route, and engineering generally doesn't offer much chance for fun electives. We're not rushing him to graduate college early--dual enrollment was his idea, not ours. So, have a good time and learn something fun (to you). I also think it's good to exercise different parts of the brain.

Funny story, since this is such a "potpourri" thread--DS17 came out of calculus all excited the other day--a girl in his class had flags of Honduras and Kyrgystan on her backpack! It turns out, she has a parent from each country--and she happened to run into the only person, probably in our entire city, who could identify both flags by sight. I mean, I could maybe get Honduras...maybe...given enough time...and google.
That’s a cute story it reminds me of Big Bang Theory and Sheldon’s fun with flags 😊

My son graduates HS next week and he and his
friends are all so ready to move on, junior year really was the toughest. Once all the college applications were done in the fall, they were all pretty much on cruise control.

She has had tough years since 8th grade. In fact, 8th grade was harder than any of her high school years. She had all advanced and honors classes that year that were high school level and all of them involved a lot of homework. She would literally come home from school, chill for an hour or so, eat dinner, and then do homework for 3-4 hours....every day. And weekends usually involved at least 8-10 hours of homework time....every weekend. IN 8th GRADE! It was miserable for all of us. And god forbid we actually wanted to do anything on a weeknight or weekend...she never wanted to go with us because she knew she'd be falling behind in her homework. It was the year from he$$. Several parents (me included) complained to the principal and school board about how much homework was being given to this group of kids in the gifted program. They had zero time for themselves and it was nearly impossible for them to be involved in any extracurricular activities without having to be up until midnight doing homework. We were told that it was the normal amount of homework given for HS classes and they needed to get used to it -- it wasn't anything they shouldn't be able to handle, blah, blah, blah. What they failed to see (and we *tried* to point this out numerous times) was that the high school had block scheduling meaning the classes were 90 minutes long. None of the teachers ever spent the entire 90 minutes teaching because a HS student's attention span isn't that long. So at most, they'd teach for 60 minutes and then give the kids 30 minutes to start working on their homework. At the middle school, they had 40 minute classes and never got time to start homework in class. So even if each teacher only assigned 30 minutes of homework a day, that added up quickly! She literally had more homework every day in 8th grade than her sister who was a senior in HS taking two AP classes at the time. Her homework level in 9th grade was much lower even before the pandemic lockdown when everything going virtual (which she loved!!) Then in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade she enrolled in a commercial art/graphic design program at a local technology school and went there for 1/2 of the day. That program had very little homework. She still had 3 classes a day at her high school, but the amount of homework was much more manageable since she only had 1/2 of the normal amount of classes. But, she was still taking honors/AP classes there so they weren't easy classes. When she was scheduling for her senior year, she said, "I'm so done with all of these hard classes. I'm just taking standard classes next year. I want to enjoy my senior year and not be stuck at home doing homework every weekend." We talked about it a little bit and sort of came to a compromise where she still took honors or advanced classes, but *only* in subjects she was really interested in or that she really enjoyed. It has been wonderful. She rarely has more than an hour of homework at night and it's often less than that because she'll start it at school. And she rarely has more than a few hours of homework on a weekend. So much more manageable. She just said to me the other night, "If I would have had this level of homework throughout all of high school...and 8th grade...I would have enjoyed it a lot more." It's not like she didn't have fun these last 4 years, but she realizes now that she gave up a lot of "fun" things to focus on those higher level classes that she felt she needed to take and wishes she had taken fewer AP/Honors classes. She was going to do some dual enrollment classes, but we didn't have a great experience with that with our son so she decided against it. He took 4 dual enrollment classes during HS but when he got to college, none of them transferred (he was a Computer Engineering Major and that program had tight class requirements). He did end up petitioning the college and getting 2 of his D/E math classes to count as general electives which basically allowed him to have two 18-credit semesters rather than two 21-credit semesters. So we decided that unless our daughter knew where she wanted to go to college and we could do the dual enrollment directly through that school, we weren't wasting her time or our money with that. She's so ready to start college -- she didn't even apply to be in any honors programs there. She said she just wants to be a "normal" student. :D

Last edited:
Good morning! I woke up with a headache today ☹️. I started my diet on Monday and my body isn’t happy I’m not feeding it a steady stream of sugar. My kids are in the thick of AP exams and stressing a bit. I can’t wait for the weekend!!!!
I remember the AP stress with my son. And the disappointment when he found that while his University considered students who took AP classes to be ahead of the game, they did not accept those credits. As they put it, "we expect our students to take our versions of those classes"

I remember the AP stress with my son. And the disappointment when he found that while his University considered students who took AP classes to be ahead of the game, they did not accept those credits. As they put it, "we expect our students to take our versions of those classes"
This is absolutely true. I work at the largest state university in our state, and if anyone asks, I don't encourage AP classes. I've seen too many students with tons of AP credit flunk out. They didn't have AP, or either my school system didn't offer it, back when I was in HS so I can't say for sure, but it seems that AP classes don't offer the rigor of flagship university coursework. Universities also need tuition dollars, so one way or another they're going to get their money out of you.

When my oldest (28 next month--a real old lady!) was in HS, she took a few AP classes. She got crap from her classmates for not pushing harder--she chose to take Early Childhood Development--a vo-tech class, for Pete's sake! instead. She even chose it over AP Spanish--she was going to be a bilingual education teacher. It turned out, when she did her college interviews, she could do way more than say, "I want to be a teacher because I love kids."--she had a portfolio of lesson plans--most good, with a few spectacular failures in there (the HS ran a daycare center). She also ended up testing out at a higher level of Spanish than AP Spanish would have gotten her.

She's now a bilingual teacher with a master's in applied linguistics, who presented her techniques at a state conference and got published in Bilingual Educator's Quarterly or whatever (circulation has to be at least 12 people!). So, I think she made the right choice. Since then, I don't get involved in my kids' class choices--things tend to work out.

My DD24 took AP courses in HS and was lucky to have all but one transfer to college credits. It actually worked out well because it was cheaper to take in HS than in college. She was always a semester ahead in college due to her HS transferred credits which meant that she was able to take a lighter load of credits in her senior year of college even with added honors classes. That enabled her to concentrate more on her internship senior year since she wasn't so bogged down in classes and that internship turned into a full time job offer before graduation. Thank goodness because the offer came right before the big covid shut-down so unlike many of her friends, she was working full-time in her career through the whole mess and still works there today. She feels very blessed.

New topic.....I think a few of us here follow Molly on Mammoth Club. Did you see the new merch drop today??? So cute. I had to order the hoodie, t-shirt, and pink trucker's hat. So excited to wear on our next Disney trip!!

And to bring it into "budget" talk.....I was pleasantly surprised at the value. The hoodie was only $50 which sounds crazy pants but compared to the prices of Disney branded merch it's quite reasonable.

I had the same situation in HS/College. My college -- a state university -- didn't accept anything other than a score of 5 for credit. I got a 4 on the American History AP test. I also took AP Chemistry but chickened out of taking the AP test (much to my parents dismay...I reimbursed them for it). The good thing was that I was way overprepared for those classes in college and they were both easy A's. And that's why I encouraged our son to take Dual Enrollment classes rather than AP classes....and that backfired, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter