ADR did not include infant in party size... now what?

PartyOfSe7en

Mouseketeer
I made several reservations for a party of 8. I did not think to include a 4 month old who mom will baby wear in an infant wrap. So technically there are 9 people but only need 8 chairs. I have been told by some I need to modify all of the reservations but the same times and locations are not available. What do I need to do?

I'd call and see if anything can be done. You may have to change times around. But yes, the infant counts as a body for fire code reasons.

I made several reservations for a party of 8. I did not think to include a 4 month old who mom will baby wear in an infant wrap. So technically there are 9 people but only need 8 chairs. I have been told by some I need to modify all of the reservations but the same times and locations are not available. What do I need to do?
call dining and see if they can work some magic. most likely you will be seated but could be delayed but you could be refused and unless you are willing to split up and have some keep the Ressie you could be hit with the no show fee for 8 even though you are at the check in as you wouldn't be checked in

You will be fine

People like to say “fire code fire code” but that is inaccurate and people just repeat it without knowing what they’re talking about. Disney will never ever pack the restaurant so full that 1 or 20 or even 50 additional people will make it hit max capacity. Do they think they stand by the bathroom door with attendance clickers too. I laugh every time I see that, it is just not how it works

If the infant needed a high chair it could be an issue but since the infant is being held it will be no problem. Don’t let anyone scare you !

We’ve done this twice with no issues. Very first time was my first time back to WDW in a long while and I didn’t know the rules. I thought since he was not a paying guest, he’s not on ADR. They didn’t care. Second time I just miss clicked during 180 day 7am booking for a popular spot. I was one short so I just left off the under 3. They didn’t care.

People here will tell you it's a huge problem but if the baby doesn't need a high chair, it's really not a problem.

People say it because it CAN be a problem.

Disney will never ever pack the restaurant so full that 1 or 20 or even 50 additional people will make it hit max capacity.

I feel like we haven’t been in the same packed restaurants...

And people say they’ll hold their babies, but being someone who DID hold her baby to eat, I’ll tell you that it’s a rare rare thing among parents. Most parents ultimately do want a high chair or something to put baby in so they can eat, because most parents do that at home and don’t have practice with eating while holding a baby.

And servers know this.

People say it because it CAN be a problem.

I feel like we haven’t been in the same packed restaurants...

And people say they’ll hold their babies, but being someone who DID hold her baby to eat, I’ll tell you that it’s a rare rare thing among parents. Most parents ultimately do want a high chair or something to put baby in so they can eat, because most parents do that at home and don’t have practice with eating while holding a baby.

And servers know this.
That’s not how it works.

Packed restaurant as in every chair is full, occasionally will happen

But even a packed restaurant with every chair full is going to be WAY WAY under maximum capacity in regards to the fire code for that physical space.

I would try to change it but not go to great lengths. I have not counted an infant, multiple times, and never had a problem. People here will tell you it's a huge problem but if the baby doesn't need a high chair, it's really not a problem.
on one of our trips while waiting to be seated at Ohana one family came up to check in with an infant no highchair infant who was not in count. they were 6 without infant we were a party of 12. they were finally seated about 30 minutes after us but near us. mother was complaining about having to wait so long after their time just because of not counted infant who was held whole time. so yes it can cause some problems

I also did this once, not knowing the rules. We did not have any problems getting seated at any of the places we had ADRs.

Thank you all for your responses! I'll call and see if they can adjust the reservations just to be safe.

That’s not how it works.

Packed restaurant as in every chair is full, occasionally will happen

But even a packed restaurant with every chair full is going to be WAY WAY under maximum capacity in regards to the fire code for that physical space.
not necessarily. There are edit and floor space requirements which limit the number of customers that can be in a restaurant at once, specifically .02 or .03 inches of doorway per customer and 15 square feet per person http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/08/maximum-occupancy-building-calculated/ and an infant counts as a person.

Several posters have indicated that bringing an unreserved infant or toddler hasn't been an issue. I'll venture that it hasn't been a problem for that party, but that it affected other guests' wait times.

not necessarily. There are edit and floor space requirements which limit the number of customers that can be in a restaurant at once, specifically .02 or .03 inches of doorway per customer and 15 square feet per person http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/08/maximum-occupancy-building-calculated/ and an infant counts as a person.

Several posters have indicated that bringing an unreserved infant or toddler hasn't been an issue. I'll venture that it hasn't been a problem for that party, but that it affected other guests' wait times.
Yes but what nobody seems to understand is that Disney will design the restaurants to hold a number (seated at tables) FAR FAR below that

Unless you think a CM stands by the bathroom and kitchen counting every single person that comes in and goes out and doesn’t seat until someone leave the toilet and oh an attractions CM is passing through so we better kick someone out.

It doesn’t happen, if building fire code can hold say 500 then Disney will design tables for 250 or less.

Also try looking for 10 instead of 9. Yes it's bonkers, but the computer algorithm that seats people doesn't think an odd number of people will occupy the same space that the next even numbered party would occupy.

It's also one of those YMMV things. Enough people have been turned away for this reason, I wouldn't risk just showing up unless I was comfortable with that risk.

Yes but what nobody seems to understand is that Disney will design the restaurants to hold a number (seated at tables) FAR FAR below that

Unless you think a CM stands by the bathroom and kitchen counting every single person that comes in and goes out and doesn’t seat until someone leave the toilet and oh an attractions CM is passing through so we better kick someone out.

It doesn’t happen, if building fire code can hold say 500 then Disney will design tables for 250 or less.

Your guess

It is always the usual Voices Of Doom on this board that tell people they will be turned away. I think they enjoy causing distress to other people. They would defend it as trying to warn but in that case they would tell the truth, that it likely won’t be an issue and it will NEVER an issue for the “fire code” reason

Your guess
They would be the stupidest company in the world and facing multiple lawsuits if one additional person could put them over max capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter