• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADR Etiquette?

Cramden

DIS Veteran
Hi.

My wife and I are planning an Adult Only trip in October. On one of our days we plan to Dine and Drink around the Disney Springs area. We'll start at Old Key West, walk over to Saratoga Springs then head to Disney Springs. I'm currently holding 2 ADRs, one for 4pm at Wine Bar George and one for 6pm at Homecomin. I have a few questions about our current plan.

1. Is it OK to hold two reservations if our plan is to have a drink and an app and not a full meals at either place?

2. Is it possible to sit at the bar, space permitting if we have an ADR?

3. If I give up one or both of my reservations how hard would it be to find bar seating at both restaurants on a Saturday in October? From what I remember it would be easier to walk in to Wine Bar George and find a seat than Homecomin so I may end up canceling that one.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

My wife and I are planning an Adult Only trip in October. On one of our days we plan to Dine and Drink around the Disney Springs area. We'll start at Old Key West, walk over to Saratoga Springs then head to Disney Springs. I'm currently holding 2 ADRs, one for 4pm at Wine Bar George and one for 6pm at Homecomin. I have a few questions about our current plan.

1. Is it OK to hold two reservations if our plan is to have a drink and an app and not a full meals at either place?

3. If I give up one or both of my reservations how hard would it be to find bar seating at both restaurants on a Saturday in October? From what I remember it would be easier to walk in to Wine Bar George and find a seat than Homecomin so I may end up canceling that one.

Thanks in advance!
You’ll be fine. There’s nothing at all wrong with your plan.

Hi.

Thanks in advance!
Its the same as any dining adventure anywhere else. A progressive meal is fun. Nothing wrong with it!. You will be spending $$ and since you wont be there as long someone else will enjoy the time you dont use. What is poor etiquette is holding 3 reservations to the same place because you cant decide what day for weeks. Unfair to others trying to plan. Enjoy!

When we last went to Disney with multiple families, one person made all of the ADR's for everyone. One night we planned to split up and have dinner at 2 different restaurants. The system wouldn't allow that person to have multiple reservations for the same date/time. What we had to do was have someone else make the other ADR and then it worked fine. In your example, if the ADR's are 2 hours apart, I don't think there would any issue with that, but I don't know if the ADR system might limit multiple ADR's that are 'close' together. I think the ADR system is setup to prevent people who can't decide where they want to eat from making multiple simultaneous reservations and then cancelling the ones they don't want at the last minute.

Whether or not you choose to sit at the bar is a matter of personal preference even if you have an ADR. In some places, there is a shorter wait for bar seating, but some prefer to sit at a traditional table.

I have seen other threads where people have indicated they are often able to get an ADR for a previously unavailable restaurants closer to the date they plan to eat there. I would assume people who change their mind on an ADR are cancelling closer to the date of the reservation to avoid that no-show fee once they have finalized their plans.

I don’t know about the etiquette but we have had an ADR at Homecomin and when we got there we saw seats at the bar (which we prefer) and asked the hostess if we could sit at the bar and they were thrilled as they then had a table available for a walk up.
We had the opposite experience. We were told that if we chose to sit at the bar, our reservation would be marked as a no show. On the other hand at Jaleo we had an ADR and were offered a table in the bar, just in front of the table game.

Last edited:

We had the opposite experience. We were told that if we chose to sit at the bar, our reservation would be marked as a no show. On the other hand at Jaleo we had an ADR and we’re offered a table in the bar, just in front of the table game.
That's interesting. I'd think they'd rather have a table freed up rather than two seats at the bar. We'll have fun either way though.

I've asked to be seated at the bar (and was) when I've had a reservation at Wine Bar George. Not sure this made any difference but I booked via OpenTable rather than Disney.

I've asked to be seated at the bar (and was) when I've had a reservation at Wine Bar George. Not sure this made any difference but I booked via OpenTable rather than Disney.
It's always better to book through OpenTable when that's an option. There's no downside to it and there's no cancellation fee if you change your mind. I don't believe Homecomin' is on it though.

Happy to report back that there were no issues with our plan of holding 2 ADRs. Both Wine Bar George and Homecomin' were very accommodating and we made sure to tip well. They even let us sit at the Bar at Homecomin' without issue.

Thanks again for the above feedback.

It's always better to book through OpenTable when that's an option. There's no downside to it and there's no cancellation fee if you change your mind. I don't believe Homecomin' is on it though.
That is incorrect. Opentable charges what the restaurant requires. There is in fact a cancel fee for some. Here is the fine print from my Raglan Road open table reservation:
ADDITIONAL NOTES​
Thank you for choosing Raglan Road! Please note, all reservations require a credit card to confirm your booking. You have until 3pm the day of your booking to cancel in order to avoid a $10 per person charge to your credit card.​

There is nothing wrong with holding 2 ADR you are planning on using…just FYI though cancel before 24hrs if decide not to go to 1 or you’ll get hit with the no show charge… hence the reason they do a credit card hold thanks to people that would book multiple reservations and then not show.

That is incorrect. Opentable charges what the restaurant requires. There is in fact a cancel fee for some. Here is the fine print from my Raglan Road open table reservation:
ADDITIONAL NOTES​
Thank you for choosing Raglan Road! Please note, all reservations require a credit card to confirm your booking. You have until 3pm the day of your booking to cancel in order to avoid a $10 per person charge to your credit card.​
I didn’t get that when I booked the BoatHouse for dinner. It must be restaurant dependent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter