ADRs... NOT A FAN

whoever

DIS Veteran
Outside of very select restaurant experiences, I wish they would go back to at a minimum, you can book ONCE you are in one of the two parks. Can't make ROTR reservations until the day of, once you've gone through the turnstiles, the same should hold true for dinning. I think Dinning should be the same way. No need to fret 60 days out. Want a res for later in the day, get there early.

I actually like that you can book in advance.,,
There are four things that will help ADR's:

1) Be like Disneyworld, and if you are at a Disney hotels, allow you to book all your ADR's on day 1 (Disney hotel perk only)
2) Disney be more consistent as to when ADR's actually open (probably the main reason it's so frustrating)
3) More ADR available (increase capacity and staffing)
4) Not have the ADR's open so early in the morning

#1 should be possible
#2 is likely never to happen
#3 is possible
#4 is possible

As a sidepoint, I would like to add that they could return to having a phone line for dining reservations. I didn't use it much, but it is helpful sometimes.

ADR's for me. I do not want to get to the Parks super early so I can hope to get a dining reservation for that day. Too stressful, and for those that don't attend the parks regularly securing rezzies and menu-reading prior to the start of ones trip is part of the planning fun imo. Much like the early days of ROTR I don't want to experience the frustration with not being able to secure dining first thing in the morning.

I'm indifferent. ADR's allow you to plan somewhat, which is nice but I understand why some people like to go with the flow and wait to see what they want when they get there. Especially if you're planning a trip at less than 60 days out (heck, we've planned one at only a week out but just do quick service when that happens).

I actually can't remember a time where you could just walk up to restaurants and be seated. Maybe a few years ago it was possible when we went for more quick service than table service so wasn't aware?

I've found it isn't too stressful if you're on there right at 6am PST. Everything (besides the RBT premium) seems to remain available for at least a few minutes. The early morning is actually really advantageous for some. If they went on later I would have difficulty stepping away from work to check.

I hate it, too. I'm not sure why it's so different now, except that there isn't an actual person (or at least there hasn't been unless they've reopened the Disney Dining line) who can check your request and also look at other times/dates for you before they disappear. There isn't a way to email your choices and preferences and see what they are able to book for you. I also suspect they don't open as many reservations to book through ADRs as they probably have available in reality. And there are all the other post-C issues with employee numbers, supply chain, and whatever else is put forward as an issue.

If you are older and/or less comfortable doing everything online or through the app, then it can be frustrating if not impossible. Even if you're pretty good online, it can still be a PITA to try and book dining reservations, especially if you don't have the flexibility to be online at the times required and your trip is during an extra popular time. And even if you're really good at getting them, it's STILL a pain to get up early 60 days before every single morning of your trip to try and grab something. When I first tried it, I did fine but OMG, they dropped at 3AM (if they dropped) and my hand was literally shaking as I tried to snatch my favorites. I think it's too bad that so many have to rely on paid alerts or constant refreshing to try and get a reservation. I was always so glad (and felt a bit smugly superior) that DL didn't handle dining reservations like WDW, but oof. Now here we are.

I miss the good old days when you didn't have to book stuff at Disneyland months in advance. Everyone knows that's required for a WDW vacation, but at DL it was usually possible to be in the park at dinnertime, go to the Disneyland website dining reservations page, and find several options available.

It seems like the problem is all these people waking up in the middle of the night to snag a bunch of reservations, knowing they are going to cancel 75% of them but wanting to have a bunch to give them time to decide. Eventually those reservations go back into the pool once they do get cancelled, but that's very random (and not likely day-of since Disney supposedly penalizes cancellations within 24 hours).

It seems like the problem is all these people waking up in the middle of the night to snag a bunch of reservations, knowing they are going to cancel 75% of them but wanting to have a bunch to give them time to decide. Eventually those reservations go back into the pool once they do get cancelled, but that's very random (and not likely day-of since Disney supposedly penalizes cancellations within 24 hours).
Yes, this is a huge part of it. You're almost forced to grab your favorite(s) the first day because who knows if you'll be able to get them later? You really don't know what you'll get until the last day of your 60-days-out. It's very tempting to grab favorites and end up with, say, 3 Trader Sam's or 2 Blue Bayou reservations. You may even end up deciding to use them all, whereas before, you most likely would only have booked it once.

I forgot to add that while I know that it's we the park goers who are guilty of clogging the system, I also think Disney is guilty of pushing us into a model that encourages and sometimes requires us to overbook or panic book.

I had a similar issue with ADRS.

A few days before I was able to get breakfast at Carnation Cafe. I was even able to get a walk up for Carthay Circle Lounge one day during the heat wave last week.

If you have your heart set on something, see if there is something similar. For example we couldn’t get the Blue Bayou at all, but Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen in DTD was AMAZING! And had more options-and BEIGNETS

Keep trying and don’t be discouraged. It was my first time in DLR and my first time using Genie plus on top of that. You got this

Last edited:
Yes, this is a huge part of it. You're almost forced to grab your favorite(s) the first day because who knows if you'll be able to get them later? You really don't know what you'll get until the last day of your 60-days-out. It's very tempting to grab favorites and end up with, say, 3 Trader Sam's or 2 Blue Bayou reservations. You may even end up deciding to use them all, whereas before, you most likely would only have booked it once.

I forgot to add that while I know that it's we the park goers who are guilty of clogging the system, I also think Disney is guilty of pushing us into a model that encourages and sometimes requires us to overbook or panic book.

Exactly this. We are now overbooked for reservations and have to choose which to keep. The 1PM restriction for park hopping is also a frustration to planning. What park are we starting in... oh, we can only do lunch in the other park after 1 (way past when we would normally lunch).

I'll admit I'm holding on to 3 I don't intend to keep right now, but I feel this is a problem Disney has created. They are delaying or whatever opening the blue bayou fantasmic packages for October. So because of that I'm holding a hungry bear fantasmic, a Riverbelle lunch and a regular blue bayou. If I get the blue bayou Fantasmic package booked I'll be dropping the other 3..

But then we've also been in a situation- our first trip- where there wasn't dinning to be found. The days before Christmas and New Years. Before mobile ordering. If it wasn't for our reservations getting food was HARD.

I do wish resort guests could make length of stay, but I also understand that if I wasn't staying on site that would be a pain. We are doing 7 nights at DLH and booking dinning 8 days in a row was kinda trip..

System seems fine to us. Have always been able to get the reservations we've wanted since we book early.
Every system will work for SOME people. Me? I don't know where and when I want to eat lunch two months from now. And it's not like mobile order works, either, because by the time your family decides they're hungry there might not be anything available for two hours (or the only thing available may be all the way across the park).

Every system will work for SOME people. Me? I don't know where and when I want to eat lunch two months from now. And it's not like mobile order works, either, because by the time your family decides they're hungry there might not be anything available for two hours (or the only thing available may be all the way across the park).

Never had an issue with mobile order either....but I'm not the type to order at the busiest time of the day expecting food to be ready in 5 mins. The sky isn't falling, but the vocal majority will always be the one with negative experiences 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's so stressful I hate it, also being from Australia isn't helpful. I have to get up in the middle of the night to make them and they go in SECONDS.
I've signed up for text alerts so If I miss out on what I want I can try again by getting an alert - even then you have to be so quick.

Never had an issue with mobile order either....but I'm not the type to order at the busiest time of the day expecting food to be ready in 5 mins.
You mean like we used to be able to do, just walking up to an order window?

I have said it before but one way to stop the multiple reservations or at least cut down on them is to charge a $10.00 PP for lunch and $15.00 PP for dinner deposit paid at the time of booking. The deposit then can be used against the total meal charge. Most people are not going to put down multiple deposits if they have to pay for it up front.
I miss the good old days when you didn't have to book stuff at Disneyland months in advance. Everyone knows that's required for a WDW vacation, but at DL it was usually possible to be in the park at dinnertime, go to the Disneyland website dining reservations page, and find several options available.

Wasn't a thing at WDW either for many years. And yes I miss being able to walk up to any place (excepting just a couple of places) and being able to get a reservation.
Most of all I miss the feel of 11million people going to the Disneyland park instead of over 18million.

There are almost no experiences anywhere that don’t require advanced booking. It was commonplace even before Covid.

Many things that used to be walk up spur of the moment now require reservations. Museums, campgrounds, popular activities at zoos and aquariums, even my local bakery and restaurant require reservations that sometimes need to be made months in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter