adult feeling awkward during meet n greets?

My wife and I do the face breakfasts and we turn into a chatterboxes.. because, well we're on vacation, and that's an expensive meal dangit. Most of the face characters when they realize that they are at an adult table will let loose a little. For instance we had a great Cinderella; I started with "Im trying to convince my wife to dye her hair blonde because she would look amazing" Without missing a beat Cinderella said "Oh you must! and then came into close and in a princess whisper "make sure you get it all or else it's a dead giveaway" We almost fell out of our chairs because of the double entendre and Cinderella gave us a big smile and took a great picture.

Plenty of other great stories like being invited to PI by an Alice after about 3 mins of character talking with her during a very slowwww day at MK. I asked "What is there to do for fun in the enchanted forest when you're not chasing Cheshire Cats" It was a great conversation that ended with. "The rabbit hole leads to an enchanted island with a place called Mannequins at 10pm on days like today.. you never know who you will meet there" Another couple we were with went to PI that night and loe and behold met up with the CM and her friends and had a blast.. Still friends to this day on FB with the CM.

If you happen to find Dug start talking to him and mid sentence "SQUIRREL!" look off into the distance, he will usually do the same.

Don't be shy, the face character CMs talk to kids all day and in our experience will spend a little extra time with adults if you're engaging before they have to go to the next table full of kids with food all over their hands and face. In most cases you will never see these people again and you're on vacation.. loosen up

I was at Storyteller's Cafe at the GCA a couple of years ago, solo, and Chip wandered by and took an interest in the empty chair across from me. He pointed at my ring finger, then back and forth to the empty chair, as if to say 'Where the heck is your fiance?' I told him he could stay and sit with me if he wanted to, which he did for a brief moment. I offered him some of my breakfast but he declined and had a waitress come over to take a picture with me instead. I thought it was hilarious. Now I look forward to seeing him all the time. :love: I also find it easier to interact with the non-face characters for whatever reason.

I can't do it; I tried on my last solo trip but whether they were face or fur I felt SUPER awkward. I finally gave it up!

Awkward? Heeeeeell no! We dont actually try to hard to have M&G but if we do encounter them (especially Mickey and/or Minnie) I am all over them! LOL...my inner kid just comes out and I run to hug them...

I was at Storyteller's Cafe at the GCA a couple of years ago, solo, and Chip wandered by and took an interest in the empty chair across from me. He pointed at my ring finger, then back and forth to the empty chair, as if to say 'Where the heck is your fiance?' I told him he could stay and sit with me if he wanted to, which he did for a brief moment. I offered him some of my breakfast but he declined and had a waitress come over to take a picture with me instead. I thought it was hilarious. Now I look forward to seeing him all the time. :love: I also find it easier to interact with the non-face characters for whatever reason.

I had Donald join me for lunch at Tusker House- he came round twice and the second time, my husband had gone for food so I was sat on my own. Donald took my husband's seat, and sat there waving and blowing kisses at me whilst I giggled and blushed like crazy. Totally smitten with Donald now! :lovestruc One of my highlights of the trip!

My last trip was the first time that I ever felt concerned or self-conscious about my age (I'm 28) - I had a sort of weird interaction with Peter Pan, and I felt like it was literally forcing me to grow up, haha. It very well may have been the Pan that I ended up with that day - the rest of my interactions have been wonderful. I'm curious to try Peter Pan again next month when I go.
What happened? from what iv read hes usually the most fun

I love meeting the characters but some are more "chatty" than others. Mary Poppins asked me where my Prince was. Chip and Dale love it when you have them on your shirt. Others pick up on things you may have with you, Dale did NOT like my phone with a Donald Duck case on it! Daisy liked my Donald shirt. It all really just depends on them, and you. I'm shy so I don't usually start a conversation with them, I let them start it but then I usually end up going along with what they are "saying". I also get more "star struck" if the character is human as opposed to animal. When I finally met Belle, my knees were knocking and I look terrified in the picture! Just have fun!

My wife and I do the face breakfasts and we turn into a chatterboxes.. because, well we're on vacation, and that's an expensive meal dangit. Most of the face characters when they realize that they are at an adult table will let loose a little. For instance we had a great Cinderella; I started with "Im trying to convince my wife to dye her hair blonde because she would look amazing" Without missing a beat Cinderella said "Oh you must! and then came into close and in a princess whisper "make sure you get it all or else it's a dead giveaway" We almost fell out of our chairs because of the double entendre and Cinderella gave us a big smile and took a great picture.

I would have fell on the floor if she said that when I was there... that's just so full of win!

(Aurora is generally when I run into awkward meetings...one time she told me to get cheesecake? I still don't understand that)

Erm...well...at one job I had, somehow "cheesecake" became slang for what one gets up to with one's boyfriend when he visits from out of town. It, ah, may have been a job I held in Florida. So that might be, uh...a thing.

I did a bunch of character meets at one point when I was getting a cast member tote bag signed, but I always felt at least a little awkward -- the times I seemed to be able to strike up a decent conversation were when the characters recognized me and told me about their friends I knew from work. I don't plan on doing a lot of character interaction this time, though I kind of want to go talk to Gaston. I just don't know what to say to him.

Erm...well...at one job I had, somehow "cheesecake" became slang for what one gets up to with one's boyfriend when he visits from out of town. It, ah, may have been a job I held in Florida. So that might be, uh...a thing.

I had never heard that! I'll have to ask Aurora about it next time and see what she says. ;)

Ive just come back from my 4th visit and this was the first time I did character meets, but some were awkward and some were easier! For instance I was really intimidated by Gaston and felt super shy and stupid with him (and im 31!) and then people like Hiro (from Big Hero 6) I felt I could talk to for ages! I do get star struck at times too, when I met Elsa I must have looked like a right idiot as she asked me what 'kingdom' was I from, and I totally didnt understand what she meant and it was a bit of an errrrr moment from me (how stupid can you get?! Embarrassing lol) but then Anna was lovely to meet as she was really bubbly and sweet and gave me a hug! I think being an adult makes it hard to speak to them sometimes, as I feel a bit silly when I try to act as if they are the real characters rather than an actor playing them! Its all good fun though! Will def do more meet and greets next time I go!! Hopefully the more you do the easier it gets to interact with them!

My friend and I met a few characters during our trip last month, and it definitely wasn't embarrassing at all! I'm 20 and she's 21, and we don't exactly look young lol. It was a great experience! We met Ariel in her grotto and she was so adorable and friendly. It was a little awkward at first because we were just standing around even though she kept telling us to have a seat on her little shell. Well we took a seat and it was a very great experience! Then we had a photo-op with Belle from the Enchanted Tale's with Belle show. What a great experience (I was a portrait in the play and kept making weird faces to make her laugh). Ended the day by meeting Anna and Elsa like 15 minutes before the park closed: Absolutely amazing experience! Not a touch of awkwardness. It helps to have something to talk about. I showed them individually my tattoo that says "love will thaw"-- and explained how my older sister has one to match, as well. Great conversation starter. Anna likes to hug, it took my friend and I by surprise.

All in all, I think you get what you put into it. I've met characters previously in my teen years, and it was pretty awkward because I didn't have anything to say. If you're friendly and not afraid to chat then I guarantee you that you will have a fun and awesome experience to tell the folks at home.

I really enjoy character meet and greets. However, I feel like the princesses are sometimes the hardest to talk to. Merida is great. And normally snow white is too. Cinderella has always been no so chatty with us (no matter who the Cinderella is) and Aurora can be a hit or miss. So can Belle. However, characters like Goofy or Chip and Dale are always great! We've never had a bad Goofy or Chip and Dale. Goofy's seem to always give out hugs, and places such a the Storybook Circus meet and greet you can ask Goofy what happened to his bike and such. Mickey's can also be a hit or miss. Sorcerer Mickey at HS was kind of... adult-like when we met him. I don't know how he interacted with kids though. Alice seems to always come up with things to say, and she kind of plays off the White Rabbit sometimes when we've met her in MK.

I think it just depends on what character it is. If it's a character you really like, try wearing something that resembles them! Such as, I have a Minnie Mouse bow that I bought off of Etsy, and Minnie noticed it as we finished our meet and greet, and she pulled me back and gave me more hugs! I have a very merry unbirthday pin that I wore when I met Alice, and we discussed that. I also have an Ariel bow which she noticed towards the end of our meeting, and complimented me on it.

:o**** A FUNNY CHARACTER MEET & GREET**** STORY from the heart:)

ok......so the 1st poster on this asked a great ? about feeling nervous /akward about DISney character Meet & Greets.
Here's one fer ya and its from the heart:
and taken from -

"MY VERY 1ST TRIP 2 WDW / DISNEY WONDER" 01-07-09 to 01-15-09 (w/pics & video)
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2062857

..... I just sent this out to my 2 contacts I have on the land side of Disney. They got a kick out of the "fan letter" to I sent to Goofy (attentioned "Mr Goof") in January. I heard my letter made it onto their internal bb. So, without any further adeiu.....I air this for all to see. Now....before any "Goofy" comments here....just ask yerself one question.....haven't we ALL felt this way....to SOME degree?????

"My 1st Time"

I was walking down the street when BOOM!
there she was.
Wow - what a pretty dress!
No wait! What do I say?????
Have I FORGOTTEN what I was going to say???
And why are my hands suddently feeling hot???

I couldn't do it. I had to leave.
No. Don't go.
Something made me stay.
I just had to stay and watch -
or was it gawk???

She was talking to others
and
her smile was just as big as her heart.
Oh rats! She saw me!
Hey....she smiled back at me!!
Why is my throat feeling dry??
Why can't I speak??

I quickly turned and walked out of the building.
WHY??????
Oh you silly goose!
Go back in there and say something!!!!!

No.
Yes.
Ok....FINE I will go back!
So I went back to where she was.
Sure enough - she's still there!

But Why did I leave again!!!!!!
YOU SILLY GOOSE!
NO NEED TO FEEL NERVOUS!

So I turned around AGAIN
and with a deep gulp of air and a
wringing of my hands -
I walked back inside the building,
walked right up to her and said:

"Hi! you must be Belle!:love:
I have heard so much about you...."

(Pssstt!!!! Next time, get rid of that watch!!:crazy2:....POOR BELLE!! her expression says it all, esp the eyebrows....(she must have smelled G-E-E-K a mile away)!!
...... and thank gosh I am now A LOT thinner now than when that pic was taken)

I'm done -

ok......NOW let the comments begin....:o

T.T.F.N.
&
Cheers Y'all:smooth:

Last edited:
I really enjoy character meet and greets. However, I feel like the princesses are sometimes the hardest to talk to. Merida is great. And normally snow white is too. Cinderella has always been no so chatty with us (no matter who the Cinderella is) and Aurora can be a hit or miss. So can Belle. However, characters like Goofy or Chip and Dale are always great! We've never had a bad Goofy or Chip and Dale. Goofy's seem to always give out hugs, and places such a the Storybook Circus meet and greet you can ask Goofy what happened to his bike and such. Mickey's can also be a hit or miss. Sorcerer Mickey at HS was kind of... adult-like when we met him. I don't know how he interacted with kids though. Alice seems to always come up with things to say, and she kind of plays off the White Rabbit sometimes when we've met her in MK.

I think it just depends on what character it is. If it's a character you really like, try wearing something that resembles them! Such as, I have a Minnie Mouse bow that I bought off of Etsy, and Minnie noticed it as we finished our meet and greet, and she pulled me back and gave me more hugs! I have a very merry unbirthday pin that I wore when I met Alice, and we discussed that. I also have an Ariel bow which she noticed towards the end of our meeting, and complimented me on it.

I've only met Cinderella and Aurora once each, but both were a bit "stilted," for want of a better word - pleasant enough, but a bit stiff. Snow can be hit and miss (met her 3 times - my first one was perfect). Merida was fine the first time, but my Merida this year was really good. My favorite M&G Princess hands down is TIANA! Met her intentionally at MK in 2013, then met her at Character Palooza this year (different "friends"), and both times she was so friendly and chatty and one of my best M&Gs. I think it's because she's the 20th Century royalty, she can be more relaxed (but still very much in character).

Dressing up/Disneybounding is a great idea. I wore my "Phineas outfit" (orange/white striped T, dark blue capris, black socks and black & white sneakers) on my 4-parks day this year and went to see P&F at DHS that morning - they loved it! I told them I was wearing my outfit from their "Summer All the Time" fashion collection (an episode), and they approved; Ferb was excited to hear I also had the purple Ferb pants, although I couldn't find the shirt to go with them. I swear I've never had so many hugs and kisses from them before, and I always go see them every year and they are always my buddies. (I also told Ferb to trust me, he and Vanessa were going to end up together someday, and he was great, he did the hands-on-heart "In Love" gesture and the CM handler teased him about blushing. I'm what we call a "big Ferbnessa shipper.")

Oh, and kadrachb, you are right - Goofy is always a HUGGER!

I "bounded" when I was going to meet Belle. I had on white capris and a blue shirt and a blue bow. When I got up to Belle she told me she had a dress just like that. The characters are great.

I totally understand the feeling awkward thing. I sometimes feel awkward just being in the queue. For me it comes from that whole issue of not having children, it is always just the other half and I, waiting quietly in the queue. Some (and by some, I mean a minority) of adults with children seem intent on making us feel uncomfortable but I find it depends on the characters.

In general, I just try and be nice, polite, tell the character how much I like them and then I move on so the younger children can enjoy the magical moments. That's not to say I think adults shouldn't get the same treatment, but I enjoy seeing childrens face light up when they meet a character.

I'm not judging here, just bewildered. I do not understand why an adult, with full knowledge of the reality, would ever feel anything other then uncomfortable doing that. It's one thing to let your inner child out, it's quite another to let it take complete charge of our adulthood. Sort of a balancing act, the way I see it. Anyway, if you enjoy it then do it. If you feel out of place, then you probably are. Move on to something a bit more age appropriate or at least something a tad less definable.

I'm not judging here, just bewildered. I do not understand why an adult, with full knowledge of the reality, would ever feel anything other then uncomfortable doing that.

This is going to be different for every person, and I can only speak for myself, but I'm going to try to explain my POV here. For as long as I can remember, I have always loved Imagination and "Let's Pretend" and the magic of Storytelling. (Sidebar - that to me is the real magic - Storytelling. The idea that, as just one example, long ago a man named Walt Disney drew a cartoon mouse who is still beloved by generations around the world.) Like most adults, I work, I pay bills and taxes and buy groceries and do all the usual responsible real world adult things, but there's still a part of me that loves that magic of play and pretend and imagination.

And, I said this once before, but - I love a lot of Disney films. That's not something I have in common with a lot of people in my daily life. I don't need to blather to people I know about how awesome I think "Up" is - but I can meet Russell and Dug and tell them they are my heroes and their story is one of my favorite stories ever, and they will get excited and give me lots of hugs and try to come home with me. There are few people better with whom to share your love of Disney characters than the characters, themselves.

This is going to be different for every person, and I can only speak for myself, but I'm going to try to explain my POV here. For as long as I can remember, I have always loved Imagination and "Let's Pretend" and the magic of Storytelling. (Sidebar - that to me is the real magic - Storytelling. The idea that, as just one example, long ago a man named Walt Disney drew a cartoon mouse who is still beloved by generations around the world.) Like most adults, I work, I pay bills and taxes and buy groceries and do all the usual responsible real world adult things, but there's still a part of me that loves that magic of play and pretend and imagination.

And, I said this once before, but - I love a lot of Disney films. That's not something I have in common with a lot of people in my daily life. I don't need to blather to people I know about how awesome I think "Up" is - but I can meet Russell and Dug and tell them they are my heroes and their story is one of my favorite stories ever, and they will get excited and give me lots of hugs and try to come home with me. There are few people better with whom to share your love of Disney characters than the characters, themselves.
I do understand that some people feel that way, I just don't really understand why. If there were real people (hero's) that were actually in the movie, or it was even a true story, I might be better able to understand. To me it's like having a meeting with the President and some guy shows up in an Obama mask. It might look like him, but, it ain't him. I cannot go back home and say to my friends... Hey, I met the President. Who I met was just a poser.

I don't fault you for feeling that way, just cannot relate to it. Just the way my mind works as opposed to yours. My whole point was, if someone feels uncomfortable, as I would, then something is telling them that they really don't belong there, again, all for personal reasons.

I am almost 67 years old. I travel to WDW yearly as a solo. I go to shows like Peter Pan, Pooh and others by myself and stand in line with bazillions of small children. No one knows I am by myself until I get to the front of the line and am forced to say... Just one please! But since I love the old rides and they bring back a lot of memories for me from when my children were young, I don't feel the least bit out of place. However, I am going to see the actual show, not a picture of it. That is the point I was trying to make, if it did feel uncomfortable about it, then I wouldn't do it. I suspect that you feel the same way about Meet & Greets. That's fine, but, it still remains true, that if you didn't, you shouldn't be doing it. You do, so that's fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter