• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adults without kids meeting characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question: How weird is it for adults without kids to meet characters? I really want to meet my favorite characters but I don't want to seem strange standing in a sea of kids and parents. The only time I've met a character was Rapunzel on my first trip, and I got weird stares from the four other parents and kids that were in line with me. So on my last last trip I didn't meet anyone. It's not bad etiquette for people without kids to meet characters, right? :confused3

My husband (28) & I (33) do it all the time :D we do tend to save the longer lines (PFTH, Ariel, storybook circus) for later at night when the lines die down tho

This honestly seems reasonable to me if the CMs were under time constraints. Of course, they should have NOT been under time constraints, but if that was indeed the situation, then yes, I think it's appropriate that they prioritized tables with children.

I have to disagree. In a park I'd gladly step aside so a child could see a character before a break, but the character meals are very expensive. I took my mom to Chef Mickey's for Mother's Day (she does not have an AP and it was the only meal I could get a reservation to that had Minnie Mouse, her favorite), and if any of the characters had skipped us, I would have been very angry.

We went on a family trip last year, all adults with the youngest being 20. Our first night there we had dinner at crystal palace. My dad's favorite character of all time is Tigger. When he started walking to the table my 53 year old dad started bouncing yelling Tigger! Tigger stopped in his tracks and got such a kick out of it!! He was sure to point out my dad's Tigger pins and gave a big thumbs up and a giant hug! It was a ton of fun and those memories are the best souvenirs. We had every character sign a T-shirt and now it hangs on a bulletin board with all out pins! We also did Chef Mickeys for breakfast and my sister and I visited Peter Pan and Wendy!!

We met characters while we did our just adult trip and it didn't feel weird at all! I don't see how it would be bad etiquette, especially since our interactions took less than a couple minutes so no one behind us waited very long!

I know this is old but I was wondering about this too. The thing is that you have lots of bloggers, and disney fans that do this alot even alone. Male or Female. I've seen JustinScarred interact with a few characters in his videos Gaston, Kylo Ren, Faciliar, and Mickey of course come to mind. I mean if all else fails whip out a camera or cell cam and pretend you're blogging lol! I think I look unique/childish enough to get away with it though, I haven't yet because of the lines, but I really wanna meet Cinderella and Tinkerbell as they are my favorites (I think...well favorites of the girly ones who appear a lot) I also find it easy to interact with like marvel and star wars chars without looks because people do it at comic con so whatever! Go to disney shed all facades be yourself. Also if you have any relatives that like the chars, you can always like be like "give a shout out to them!"

I know this is old but I was wondering about this too. The thing is that you have lots of bloggers, and disney fans that do this alot even alone. Male or Female. I've seen JustinScarred interact with a few characters in his videos Gaston, Kylo Ren, Faciliar, and Mickey of course come to mind. I mean if all else fails whip out a camera or cell cam and pretend you're blogging lol! I think I look unique/childish enough to get away with it though, I haven't yet because of the lines, but I really wanna meet Cinderella and Tinkerbell as they are my favorites (I think...well favorites of the girly ones who appear a lot) I also find it easy to interact with like marvel and star wars chars without looks because people do it at comic con so whatever! Go to disney shed all facades be yourself. Also if you have any relatives that like the chars, you can always like be like "give a shout out to them!"

I went last year solo, and got pictures with around 40 characters. At first it was weird, but then I was having fun with them. Anna from Frozen offered me a job pulling ice, and I told her only if I could live in the castle. She even showed me where my room would be. Every character I met was great. They were all very welcoming. I'm going again soon, and plan to meet them all again. You might get a look from people now and then, but most people don't care. Just go and have fun!

There is nothing wrong with it. When you enter the gates, we are all children again!
My husband and I went a few years back, pre-son, and we stood in line for 45 minutes so I could get photos with Tigger and Pooh.
Now I use my son for an excuse to get lots of hugs from my favorite childhood friends! Lol. We take shots of him with characters, a family shot, and then sometimes Mommy gets a solo shot.

Last time we went, I was talking to Chip and Dale because the photographer needed a moment. Told them how much I loved them as kids. They ran and picked fall leaves for me and presented them to me (like gifts) and then signaled the photographer to take a shot of them kissing me on either side. One of my fav pix ever!

At Crystal Palace, after Tigger was done posing with my son, I had him sign a Tigger sketch that I had purchased. He got my son's bag of colored sharpies, pulled out the orange and black ones, and did a lovely signing. Then he picked it up and posed with it with me. I was so touched that "Tigger" went the extra mile to make an adult's day (as well as my son's) that I teared up. Made sure I told his handler to tell the boss man that Tigger deserved extra props that day. Made my whole trip.

DO IT!

We go meet characters as adults all the time. My DD (23 at the time) loves Rapunzel so the six adults waited in line for the three princesses. We got to Rapunzel and got a group picture then we stepped back and DD and Rapunzel spends a good solid 5 minutes chatting in character. We paid to get in so why not enjoy the entertainment. With 6 adults we actually paid more for park tickets than the little ones.

I found that having adults in line has no affect on the little ones. Isn't it more realistic if adults and kids want to meet the characters?

Ummmmmmm... one of my Fastpasses I just booked is the Character Spot at Epcot... it's just my husband and I on this trip! We're all kids once we're under 'the bubble' of Disney. Enjoy the magic!

This thread was a fun read! DH and I are planning a trip soon, and we definitely want to meet a few characters. I would REALLY like to meet Gaston.

Aw it makes me sad that someone would think they are considered too old to meet the characters and that you need a child with you to make it acceptable. WDW is for all ages! We have always seen lone adults or couples without children in line for characters and we have never thought anything of it. In fact, it always makes me smile to know that they really feel and believe in the magic of Disney!

I answered this once before so here goes again. Did you pay less to enter the park than those with children? No. Do you go to WDW for the same reason I go, to recapture your youth? I hope so. I see no reason not to interact with the charecters. My wife and I travel down to WDW every year and we go to the charecter dinners and we get our pictures taken with the characters. I would consider it a bad trip if I didn't propose marriage to Anastasia at 1900 Park Fare every year. Forget what others are saying and just enjoy yourself. You deserve it just as much as anyone.

Meeting characters is all part of the fun! The princesses are very sweet even with grown adults, Anna spent quite a while with me talking! I've got to hug Eeyore at some point because he's so cuddly and Goofy is always a ton of fun to meet.

I have never gone to WDW with a child. My daughter was 15 on our first trip.
We are huge on meeting characters, and I have never felt weird about it.

Even parade characters will come up to you as an adult, the witch doctorwhose name i can never remember from Tiana stopped to talk to me during boo to you on halloween, so it's obvious they know we're all there to have fun and be kids again!

Even parade characters will come up to you as an adult, the witch doctorwhose name i can never remember from Tiana stopped to talk to me during boo to you on halloween, so it's obvious they know we're all there to have fun and be kids again!

His name is Doctor Facilier, AKA Shadow Man.

We have done it every trip and never felt weird at all ! we love it ! as others have said if there was ever a place to be a kid Disney is the place to do it ... Enjoy it

I have been alone and had fast passes for characters and also met them late at night. I do try to have a little quip to open dialogue. I wore my Frozen medal to meet Elsa, told LILO and Stitch I had never seen their movie, told Doug that I raise guide dogs and asked if he follows commands- he sat and played dead and people in the line loved it also.
I try to be quick, so the families can have more time. It's all in good fun

This past September I went to Disney with a good friend that lives in Florida. We both wanted to meet Olaf. Got in line behind 2 twenty something girls... (one was a Stitch lover... head to toe Stitch), then us and then behind us a 50 year old (it was her bday that is how I know her age :-)) with her adult son. Soon after the next person in line was a husband and wife (on their honeymoon).

We all starting talking about how in this line there wasn't a single child. But we all had a blast and it was so much fun meeting Olaf so don't let being an adult stop you.

I don't always like meeting the characters. For me I usually just want the picture without the awkward in character small talk. But when I am in the mood for the whole experience you best believe I'm waiting in line with no effs to give about anyone else! You do you and don't let anyone make you feel bad. Disney is for everyone not just for kids :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter