• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advent Calendars

I didn't get them for the kids this year--we have a ton of chocolate in the house already, plus they love to bake, so that will be happening. I had gotten them coffee pods last year, but they didn't seem to care for them.

I do have one for myself--it's a crafting one. And there's one for the cats. We have one cat who's very "extra", who cannot have fish--most cat food and treats contain fish. This advent calendar has catnip treats, which she can have, so I snapped it up.

I have a countdown calendar, too, but none of the Christmas stuff is down from the attic, so it's not out. DH comes home tomorrow night, so the decorating will begin!

Where did you get the one with catnip treats? That sounds fun!

We have done do many different Advent calendars over the years. When my boys were little it was always Lego, Playmobile and chocolate.

They are now 27 and 30, but I still give them Advent calendars each year. Last year I gave my 30-year-old a gem and mineral one, which he had fun with.

This year they are both getting a cheese Advent calendar and their girlfriends are getting tea advent calendars.

My husband and I are sharing a cheese one too as well as a puzzle one. The puzzle calendar has a total of 1008 pieces, but each box contains 42 pieces, so we'll be putting together small sections each night. I'm looking forward to it.

They also have a wine advent calendar with all half bottles and a mix of red and whites. We used the reds to make Glühwein!
I bought that last year, when they reduced the price a week into December. Not being a wine person I can say I didn’t find a single one that I liked. I just finished the last bottle a month or two ago. Used them to make spritzers with fruit punch and Sprite. 🤪

Didn’t find that at all this year. Wondering if maybe my Costco didn’t get any? There were several different advent calendars last year and NONE this year.

My daughters each have a felt one with little pockets that they hang on their doors. I filled them with candy and small ornaments, trinkets. Now they are older and 2 are away at school most of the month. I bought the youngest two calendars from Sephora and I wanted to do wine and cheese for my oldest but our liquor stores never got wine ones in. They did have cardboard boxes with drawers that you could put in tiny shot sized bottles so I did that.

I happened to be in Ohio late October a few years ago and stumbled upon a wine one in Costco. I bought it and oldest and I shared it and it was fun to try new wines. I’m in Pennsylvania and Costco doesn’t sell alcohol here (weird laws) so I haven’t been able to do it again.

I bought my great niece and nephew each one. They both have small books in them. One has Disney stories and the other Christmas stories. The 3 year old loves being read to and the 8 year old can practice her reading by reading to him.

Where did you get the one with catnip treats? That sounds fun!
Unfortunately they’re not in stock now, but I got this Frisco one from Chewy a few years ago. It’s 12 days of toys, no food, when purchased new but I refill it every year with a mix of toys and treats. The one I initially received had an empty drawer so, instead of sending me a replacement toy, Chewy sent an entire new calendar. Now I keep them back-to-back on the shelf, flip it around on day 13, and have a full month countdown. I ❤️ Chewy.

AD22F00C-807E-4322-B9C7-4FF1D7E3BAF1.jpeg

We have never had an Advent calendar that contains candy or gifts. My MIL made a cross-stitch one many years ago for the kids, you hang a little gold bell on it each day to count down to the 25th. I also bought one with pockets, it has animals, the moon, star, shepherd, Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, camels and 3 kings, etc. Kids have all left home but I still do them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter