Adventures with Drunk Uncle...or, Just Another Day in the World.

enigmaticorange

Chronic Lurker
Hi everyone!

Now that my family is residing in the beautiful city of Orlando, Fl-we can go to Disney all of the time! So my trip reports will be more of observations made on our (honestly more often than any sane person should go) visits.

Today was my day off, so the DH and I took one of the DS(3) and ventured down to Animal Kingdom. We made sure to grab our fast passes for Kilimanjaro Safari, but otherwise we left the day open. Animal Kingdom is a bit tricky, time-wise. We love to visit but we haven't even been to all of the attractions! Today was not the day we were going to see the shows, though. Three year olds are not the most patient people in the world-last time, Alex(DS3) told me that AK was boring!! :worried:

Today I was hoping he would enjoy the day more. DH, DS and I arrived to AK around 10. We had 1145 FP for KS, leaving some roam time for us. We picked the perfect day! The weather was overcast and in the mid 70's. the park was fairly slow, save for some tour groups (Which always amuses me-the leader holding a flag and everything) After parking in the Dinosaur lot, our day began with a Wilderness Explorer book! We had seen these in prior visits, and though I sort of dismissed it in the past- it turned out to be a huge hit (Even though DS is a bit young for it). We then traveled down the Maharaja Jungle trek. The animals were not really out a lot, but the gorgeous weather allowed for a fantastic walk, and DS Alex loved getting badges along the way.

One thing that was very noticeable was the variation in cast members. Some seemed on top of their game- they were polite and engaging. Other were strangely aloof or even dismissive and rude! It seemed like maybe there was either a lot of new trainees or the best people were gone til a busier season...

We rode the Rafiki train for the first time in ten years! DS met Rafiki but the petting zoo felt kind of sparse and awkward. When we went back to get on the train back to the main park- a very disgruntled cast member made us stop at the gate-and shut it in front of us before loading the train...even though there was loads of room left on the train! We looked around...and we were the only ones standing there!! What the heck?? :confused3 We stood there, looking confused at why we weren't allowed on the train until another cast member asked if we wanted to board... The other guests on the train noticed and were asking if she had a problem with us, lol.

The true weirdness of the day was during our favorite ride- the Kilimanjaro Safari! We had a guide that shall ever be referred to as "the drunk uncle". I wont name him- but whoa. Dude either has an accent that I cant place...or was sipping on some hooch something fierce. :laughing:

Something we found that was awesome- The snack place in Africa has a "pineapple whip" :yay: as well as a kids "snack pack" that included milk, goldfish crackers, a mini sandwich, apples, carrots, and yogurt for about 5 bucks. I was tempted to try to chicken curry, but I cant go buying that stuff everytime we go! I would be homeless, but full of curry. :rolleyes: DH had a "chocolate shake" which was a large cup of chocolate soft serve- but you wont hear him complain, he just loves chocolate ice cream or shakes!

We also visited the Boneyard for the first time! Three kids, 3-15, and this is the first time! DS loved it- but it doesn't hold a candle to the HISTK play area at Hollywood Studios.

We ended our day with enough time to catch the older boys as they arrived home from school, as well as right before the rain started. Alex (DS3) was much happier with this visit, I think the badges were a huge part of his day. On the way home he was only disappointed that we didn't get them all!

Next time, we would like to visit the bird show, and either Nemo or the Lion King performances. Will a 3yo tolerate the longer shows? Let me know what you think!

Our next trip will be MK on the 23rd I think? (That was the FIRST time Minetrain FP's were available for us!!) :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter