Advice about crowds - "Jersey Week" vs. Pop Warner Week

hominamad

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone - planning my second trip to WDW - and for me the single most important thing is to go at the absolute least crowded time possible.

Trying to decide between the 2nd week of Nov (probably 10th-15th) or the 2nd week of Dec (7-12). I would rather go in Nov, but that week is Veteran's day, and the infamous "Jersey Week", which I have heard is both crowded, and not.

The dates I'm looking at in Dec is the tail end of the Pop Warner event, which doesn't scare me as much.

The thing is, all of the crowd calendar websites vary greatly in what they say about those dates. Some say the Dec dates are empty, and others say heavy crowds. The Nov dates seem to range between moderate and heavy - but I have read other places that's a great week to go.

What do you guys think? I have a personal preference to go in Nov, but I would give that up in a second if the Dec dates are less crowded. I'm really indecisive about this! Looking forward to some advice from the pros.

Thanks!

I'm thinking November will be busier. Most of the hotels are sold out already. We are going nov 4-11 and the wine and dine half marathon is November 6th so some people will stay on thru that next week (like us), you also have jersey week and the holiday. We've gone that time period in December and liked it a lot. Just my two cents, Either way have fun!

Jersey Week/Veteran's Day is a bad combo. It doesn't always line up like that.

I've been to WDW quite a few times during Jersey Week, Veteran's Day & the Wine & Dine half marathon (although this year more of an overlap) & while busy esp in MK and during the weekends at F&W, certainly tolerable and nothing compared to March Break, etc. I wouldn't be scared to go but do use every pre-planning tip you can esp getting your FP+ lined up and your special ADRs. Rope drop can be your best friend :-)

Agreed with the above and I also have gone during jersey week as well as many races but this time seems different. Most hotels during my time period in early November are sold out 2+ months in advance. That's something that is very new to me. So not sure on this one?

I have been both times, and I would characterize Jersey week as moderately busy while Pop Warner week is fairly slow, but not deserted. We choose Jersey week mostly because the kids miss less school for the holidays, and the food and wine festival is a fave for us, but you do pay for it with bigger crowds. It is manageable though with a decent touring plan.

Where would you be staying? If it's not one of the Pop Warner host hotels, I'd go with December. I agree that I think November will also be more crowded, but after hearing some of the resort horror stories, I don't think I'd willingly stay at a Pop Warner resort.

never gone jersey week but have gone many times during pop warner week. the parks were never really impacted when we were there. however, i never stayed at a resort where they were staying. i heard of problems at their resorts. if you go i think you will be fine park wise. just avoid where they stay which i believe are the values and some moderates.

We've gone Jersey week the last several years and it wasn't bad at all. We met a lot of guests that were from New Jersey, but it wasn't just over run with people.

Pop Warner week is only potentially bad if you are staying at the same resort as they are.

I was there one year for Jersey week and thought the parks were not crowded... on the other hand we went the second week of Dec. and while also not crowded they more crowded than Jersey week ... The Christmas decorations... Personally I think it is hard these days to say one week will be more crowded than another it is the luck... I can say however it depends who answers from a DVC standpoint both times are difficult to get a room..... I would say go when you are most comfortable early December has Decorations and November has most of NJ there... but are good things.. P.S. from what I have been seeing this year there are a lot of sales on plane tickets NOW for Jersey week and that is rare-- I can tell it would have been less for me to go that week then a few weeks when we did go....I am watching the plane tickets because we may go to universal this year-- I can say that was not crowded last year for Jersey week.

I've been BOTH of these weeks the past 4 years. Jersey week is by far the most crowded. Epcot on the weekends is miserable and PACKED. I would put it on par with spring break, but less than Easter.

Pop Warner has minimal impact on crowds within the parks. I am Childless by Choice, so I'm not super kid friendly but in 10 years of staying in values resort with Pop Warner, I've NEVER had an issue!!! The kids are polite, well supervised and properly dressed. (Contrast that with Cheer Summit in April <shudder!>)

I'm guessing you're considering Jersey Week 2017?

(Because the NJEA Convention this year is November 5th/6th, so doesn't overlap with the dates you've listed above. The 2017 dates are November 9th and 10th, I believe...)

Personally, I'd go during Jersey Week if I was planning on staying in a value, or possibly even a moderate on-site hotel. I'm not a big fan of crowds of cheering teenie boppers on the other side of a thin hotel room wall... But if you aren't staying in a Pop Warner-filled hotel, you should find the parks comparatively quiet that week.

That said, I live in New Jersey and I can guarantee you that the entire state does not travel en masse to Orlando that week. I would totally go during Jersey Week if it worked with my schedule and my budget. :)

You all have me so paranoid!! We booked not realizing Jersey week was going on. Should we think about moving up our trip? We would lose out on our 60 day mark, and I probably can't get all the same ADRs, but now I'm super freaked out it is going to be so crowded!! Advice? It is just my mom and me.

You all have me so paranoid!! We booked not realizing Jersey week was going on. Should we think about moving up our trip? We would lose out on our 60 day mark, and I probably can't get all the same ADRs, but now I'm super freaked out it is going to be so crowded!! Advice? It is just my mom and me.
It's not that bad. At this point, changing your plans so late in the game would be a far bigger inconvenience than adapting to slightly more crowded week.

My advise is to not change your plans and stop worrying.

so when exactly is it considered to be Jersey week? We are going Nov 12th - 20th. I'm thinking Jersey week is the week before but not sure, lol.

I have gone during jersey week many times since it is also near the end of the F&W festival.
Although it does get busier, I've never found it do be much of an issue at all.
What I really like about that time is you typically have the crossover from the Halloween decorations to the Christmas decorations depending on the timing.
Also being at the end of F&W much of the merch that is left is on clearance - usually 50% off so that is also a bonus.
Yes - Epcot is very busy on the weekends - really nothing to do with Jersey Week - it is F&W - during F&W it is busy every weekend - just do Epoct during the week and take advantage of the F&W festival.

As for pop warner - or any other cheer\dance\band\sports week or large group of "supervised" teens - I'd avoid it like the plague - nothing more annoying than waiting in line with a bunch of people doing the same cheers over and over again. there are plenty of threads on this so I'd look through them.

Ill pick a bunch of family's from any state over this type of group event every time.

We did the same this year. I thought I read Jersey week was the first week in Nov. So I booked the second week.:sad1: Last year I thought the crowds were bad during JW. We have decided to skip MK while on this trip.:sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter