advice- DCL to alaska or other cruise line

I've only cruised Alaska on DCL and am open to other lines, but given the ages of your kids, I'd go with DCL if you can swing it.

I am in the exact boat (no pun intended). We got off the Fantasy on 3/26 and also booked a placeholder. The only difference is this was my 12th cruise, so I know that I can have a great experience on another line--the question is "Will my kids?". The answer, after minimal research--check out Cruise Critic--is yes. I have ordered brochures from HAL, Celebrity and Princess and will be comparing with Disney and going with the itinerary/cost that best works for us. If you want to touch base to share research, I'm happy to do that.

Have to say that I am now reconsidering Disney, given that they added a Hubbard Glacier component for one sailing next summer. I realize that it is risky because it's the first time that they've done it, but I also believe that adding Icy Strait Point permits an excursion to fly over Glacier Bay? So a pretty inclusive cruise, still with RT airfare. Anxious to see the pricing.

Have to say that I am now reconsidering Disney, given that they added a Hubbard Glacier component for one sailing next summer. I realize that it is risky because it's the first time that they've done it, but I also believe that adding Icy Strait Point permits an excursion to fly over Glacier Bay? So a pretty inclusive cruise, still with RT airfare. Anxious to see the pricing.

What do you mean by risky? Because it will be popular and fill up quickly and be expensive?

We did an RCCL cruise that included Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait Point. We did a shore excursion on Icy Strait Point that took us bear watching and whale watching. It's really a prime place to see whales, but when we got off the small whale-watching boat we saw a whale right up close to shore -- the closest encounter we had all day. The bus ride taking us to see the bears went through a very poverty-stricken village. Some of the natives aren't happy with the influx of cruise passengers, but the $$$$ is really helping the economy. Funny story -- a small sign stenciled on the side of the bus meant to say the Hoonah line but it lost something in the translation and said Hoohah. oops.

What do you mean by risky? Because it will be popular and fill up quickly and be expensive?

We did an RCCL cruise that included Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait Point. We did a shore excursion on Icy Strait Point that took us bear watching and whale watching. It's really a prime place to see whales, but when we got off the small whale-watching boat we saw a whale right up close to shore -- the closest encounter we had all day. The bus ride taking us to see the bears went through a very poverty-stricken village. Some of the natives aren't happy with the influx of cruise passengers, but the $$$$ is really helping the economy. Funny story -- a small sign stenciled on the side of the bus meant to say the Hoonah line but it lost something in the translation and said Hoohah. oops.

I just meant because I don't believe Disney has ever gone to Hubbard Glacier or Icy Strait Point, so we will be the guinea pigs

We cruised HAL to Alaska and it was the perfect fit for us. We are platinum DCL so that shows how much we love DCL but HAL and Princess are really a good way to see land and sea Alaska. We flew into Fairbanks and toured it ourselves. We then started our HAL land/sea tour there. We boarded the train for a couple of days and saw outstanding scenery and included an overnight stop in Denali. It was amazing and we had time to actually take a bus tour well into the wilderness past where they allow normal tourists to drive. We saw so much wildlife. We ended the train tour in Anchorage and stayed overnight there. We caught a bus and drove through some pretty areas. We stopped at Seward and boarded our ship for our 7 day cruise down to Vancouver. It included the inside passage. The ship seemed to be better equipped for viewing Alaska. We got all this for CHEAPER than we could with DCL on a 7 day cruise.

I vacation a lot and I must say our Disney cruise to Alaska was by far my entire family's favorite vacation ever. I am more of a beach girl and was going to Alaska mostly because my mom really wanted to go. However, I fell in love with Alaska and really would love to go back someday soon. I am so glad we used Disney. The kids loved it, the frozen party was great, the kids loved the Pixar party, we enjoyed the characters in costume.... I could go on forever. It is a Very personal choice and depends what you are Looking for in your vacation . But I am one thousand percent happy on my dcl choice for Alaska.

We went to Alaska in 2011, originally we planned on Disney but Glacier Bay plus cost considerations made us choose HAL. We were on the Oosterdam, our son was 11 and our daughter turned 2 while on board. We were also with my in laws. Alaska is amazing and we had no service issues or complaints, but otherwise we were completely underwhelmed by the boat, food and entertainment and wouldn't consider another HAL cruise for sure. To us there was absolutely no comparison between the 2 lines. If we ever do Alaska again, which we all want to, it will be on Disney.

I think you really have to decide if the ship is the destination for you and your family or Alaska. We felt that it was Alaska for us. We weren't sure we would go to Alaska again and wanted to "do it right" the first time. We were completely happy with HAL from staterooms to service. Some people complain that there are old people on HAL but I tell you what. I will never forget an older gentleman that I made friends with. An amazing intelligent man that had pure love for all. He never told us till the end but he took the cruise because it was his final trip before he died of Parkinsons. Age of passengers should never make or break a trip. I learned that first hand on that trip.

I cruised with Celebrity in September 2015 from Seattle to AK and I was not impressed with their service or amenities. Just my two cents. After cruising with Disney, Celebrity didn't hold a candle to DCL. I HIGHLY recommend a stop in Icy Straight Point. If you want a more Alaskan experience, that is where you will find it. It isn't full of the typical cookie cutter tourist shops (and endless jewelry stores). It is one of the most beautiful places on Earth and was my favorite port of call on the cruise. I had so much fun on the ZipRider I did it twice.

I cruised with Celebrity in September 2015 from Seattle to AK and I was not impressed with their service or amenities. Just my two cents. After cruising with Disney, Celebrity didn't hold a candle to DCL. I HIGHLY recommend a stop in Icy Straight Point. If you want a more Alaskan experience, that is where you will find it. It isn't full of the typical cookie cutter tourist shops (and endless jewelry stores). It is one of the most beautiful places on Earth and was my favorite port of call on the cruise. I had so much fun on the ZipRider I did it twice.

One of the reasons I find the new 9-day DCL itinerary appealing. Surprised to hear the issues with Celebrity because I'm always had good experiences with them (3 cruises, including in one of their penthouses). What were the issues?

I thought the muster drill was awful for one. They crammed people in small spaces, with no air moving. Many had to stand and there were a lot of elderly people. It was very poorly done. Several people nearly passed out. In addition to that, we came across several unfriendly crew members throughout the cruise, including our room steward. The ship was beautiful (Solstice), the spa was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the naturalist that was on-board, so it wasn't all bad. Disembarking was very chaotic also.

I thought the muster drill was awful for one. They crammed people in small spaces, with no air moving. Many had to stand and there were a lot of elderly people. It was very poorly done. Several people nearly passed out. In addition to that, we came across several unfriendly crew members throughout the cruise, including our room steward. The ship was beautiful (Solstice), the spa was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the naturalist that was on-board, so it wasn't all bad. Disembarking was very chaotic also.

I am really sorry to hear that. Haven't cruised with them since 2003 so I will defer to your more recent experience. I will say that I did look at them briefly for Alaska 2017, because they have a bed configuration for a family of 4 that appeals to me. But their website is awful...too busy...too hard to find things. And I've called 3 times to request a written brochure..still waiting 2 weeks later. Princess sent one to me via overnight delivery. HAL's and RCCL's have arrived as well. I guess Celebrity just doesn't want my business. :)

Ugh this makes me so nervous! We are sailing with them in July, chose a different line since the kids wont be with us. We have Aqua class, hopefully that will make up for any downfalls!!

But their website is awful...too busy...too hard to find things. :)
Yes! Their website is terrible! No onboard app either. You also have to pay upfront for excursions, which I thought was odd.

Ugh this makes me so nervous! We are sailing with them in July, chose a different line since the kids wont be with us. We have Aqua class, hopefully that will make up for any downfalls!!
I'm sorry! I hope you have a good cruise. We were on the last Alaska cruise of the season, so maybe the crew was tired (still no excuse for bad service if you ask me). Good luck, and I hope you enjoy Alaska!

Uh-oh. We're going on them soon too. The only thing we were worried about was the "older" crowd, although my husband seems to think this is his crowd, but we had heard great things about the food and service... I guess we'll see.

Yes! Their website is terrible! No onboard app either. You also have to pay upfront for excursions, which I thought was odd.

Right now if you click on the itinerary for one of the 7-night Hubbard Glacier tours it lists a bunch of European ports. It is impossible to do any research online. And I'm still waiting for a hard copy of the brochure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter