Advice: Disney World Family’s 1st to Disneyland:)

lorilclevelandrn

DIS Veteran
Hi there and Happy NY!

After numerous trips to “the world” we have decided to finally visit “the land” and seeking advice on our entire trip. We’re planning 4-5 days some time this year; 2 adults/ 3 children over 5. Interested in anything and everything you have to offer. I graciously appreciate any help. TIA!

Have a blessed day😊!

Hi there and Happy NY!

After numerous trips to “the world” we have decided to finally visit “the land” and seeking advice on our entire trip. We’re planning 4-5 days some time this year; 2 adults/ 3 children over 5. Interested in anything and everything you have to offer. I graciously appreciate any help. TIA!

Have a blessed day😊!

I always recommend starting here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/
This is the thread by @HydroGuy that is a big help for those coming from a WDW perspective.

Also, I reposted this earlier today, but it seems relevant. It's a guide to how rides that are the same may actually differ some at DLR compared to WDW.

Disneyland:
The Enchanted Tiki Room: longer show at DL, people seem more into it
Jungle Cruise: no temple tunnel at DL, shorter ride but other than that the same
Indiana Jones: Silimar ride to DINOSAUR at AK, better theming
Tarzan's Treehouse: pretty similar to Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse but with more Tarzan stuff
Pirates of the Caribbean: DL has two drops and more show scenes - much better than WDW version
Haunted Mansion: different exterior, ride is actually slightly shorter, has the Hatbox Ghost who is awesome but still give the edge to WDW one, but not by a lot
Splash Mountain: single-file seating at DL, shorter, water tends to overtop the boats guaranteeing you will get soaked to your shoes!
Winnie the Pooh: pretty similar, different ride vehicles that look like beehives
Big Thunder Mountain: DL has outdoor loading and new special effects in the final scene, smoother since refurb but otherwise very similar
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run: identical as far as I know
Peter Pan's Flight: DL version is a little shorter and stops to load so it loads even slower if you can believe that, WDW is slightly more refined
Dumbo: only one spinner, basically the same
Mad T Party: no canopy at DL but otherwise the same
It's a Small World: much nicer exterior, loads outside, large gaps between water track and show scenes, some Disney characters sprinkled in
Autopia: much longer than Tomorrowland Speedway and nicer scenery
Space Mountain: a very different ride here, smaller footprint, seating is side-by-side, smoother, cool lift-hill effects - WDW Space is very similar to The Matterhorn - they use the same ride system
Buzz Lightyear Astro-Blasters: guns can be held in your hand at DL making for easier aiming
Star Tours: identical except for having only four simulators instead of six so the line can move slower
Astro Orbiter: situated on the ground at DL so the views aren't as good

California Adventure:
Soarin: identical but only two theaters, may still be running the old California version so if you like that better could be good
Grizzly River Run: longer than the comparable Kali River at AK - you will get soaked on either!
Little Mermaid: different exterior but ride is exactly the same
Toy Story Mania!: the ride is exactly the same, only two tracks instead of the expanded three at HS, queue is outdoors but covered
Radiator Springs Ravers: comparable to Test Track as it is the same ride system, much longer, more themed elements, side-by-side race but not as fast - beautiful scenery!
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree: standard whip ride that is very similar to Alien Swirling Saucers at Toy Story Land
Guardians of the Galaxy: converted form Tower of Terror, DL tower was always different in that there is no forward movement of the car, all scenes on video, random song choice, very nice pre-show
Disney Jr. Dance Party: I believe this is basically the same as the HS one

Have fun!

I was just there right before Christmas and my top tips are:

Stay at the Grand Californian if you can, we love everything about it
Buy MaxPass to add to your tickets. Set the timer on your phone for the minute you can get another FP and book it right then
Utilize Mobile Ordering. We saw at least 25 people, probably a lot more, standing in line to order their Dole Whip. I tapped a few buttons and ours were ready in one minute. I walked up to the MO counter and got ours with no waiting. It seriously blew my mind how many people were not using MO.

You will LOVE Disneyland! Have a magical trip!

I'd just note the compactness of everything and once you're in you don't need to go through security again unless you leave (leaving includes entering the on-site hotels). Park hopping is a breeze and a good strategy.

We LOVED The Disneyland Hotel. You truly feel the magic of Walt around every corner. The Grand Californian's architecture is beautiful, but it wasn't my vibe.

We arrived early in the morning in Disneyland, and we didn't need Maxpass or Fastpasses for any rides at all. We went Easter week which is a pretty busy week in WDW, but it didn't seem overcrowded in the Land.

I'm so glad that we gave Disneyland a chance. We absolutely loved it.

Hydro's thread is a great place to start. And while I love staying onsite and you've already been given two great options, unlike WDW, staying offsite is easy, much cheaper, and in some cases, geographically closer to the entrances of the park. I say this because many who are familiar with WDW automatically assume you need to stay onsite and balk at the prices of the hotels.

When we go, we try to stay at DGC because of it's location. Having the entrance into DCA is awesome when certain family members ride Grizzly Rapids over and over and over and... until they are soaked head to toe. They will hurry back to the room to change and get back out to have fun. Many people will order a couple cases of water, snacks and other items, or they make a run to Target to get them. Bottles of water in DL are expensive. We drive, so we bring cases of water with us. Bring plenty of sunscreen and chapstick too. If you have specific questions, ask them so we can help you plan a great trip.

Hi there and Happy NY!

Have a blessed day😊!

Some threads with very good information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- SO much helpful information found here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a treasure trove of helpful threads for you!
From the above link:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it's not about on site or off site (both have their pros and cons) -- it's all about location, location, location! You want to be close walking distance to the gates (and this is totally possible!) -- what you invest to be close walking distance will save your sanity, wear and tear on your feet and legs, and give you major convenience as you can keep things at the hotel instead of lugging things with you all day, allow you to take breaks during the day because your hotel room is so close by, etc. -- look for the best deal you can find online with a no penalty cancellation policy, then book it! -- keep checking back to see if the rate goes down -- if it does, re-book and cancel the first reservation -- rates can go down closer to your dates
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- DLR doesn't have FP+, we have MP -- read through this very helpful superthread, then ask all your questions there -- you'll get great help! Almost all WDW vets love MP the first time they use it and prefer it strongly over FP+
Eating in the parks on a budget -- lot of good tips here! -- instead of a dining plan, lots of people use Disneyland gift cards to budget for meals at DLR -- that way you know exactly how much you have to spend and how much you're spending each day and how much you have left
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- ask all your airport and transportation questions here.
Let us know if you have any more questions -- we're here to help! You're going to have a great trip! :)
When are your prospective dates? A new ticket promotion was announced today:
SoCal/child ticket deal 2020 (MM is included with this ticket deal if tickets are purchased in advance, not at the booths.)

Last edited:
If you love Disney history, do the "Walk in Walt's Tour" while you are there. Really great tour that includes lunch. So much history and information about Walt. Includes a few rides (3 I think). Takes some time but definitely worth doing. Book in advance.

If you want to eat at Carnation Cafe or Blue Bayou - BOOK AHEAD! It is likely that these restaurants won't have walk up times. Blue Bayou has a cool atmosphere but the prices are nuts. Much of the same food at Cafe Orleans for less money.

Plan to see World of Color. It is by far my favorite nighttime Disney show on either coast.

In my opinion, rides at DLR that are better than WDW: Pirates, Small World, Indy (WAY better than Dinasour), Radiator Springs Racers (in comparison to Test Track). Ride Matterhorn and the Subs - classic DLR rides that don't exist at WDW.

Buy MaxPass to add to your tickets. Set the timer on your phone for the minute you can get another FP and book it right then
Utilize Mobile Ordering. We saw at least 25 people, probably a lot more, standing in line to order their Dole Whip. I tapped a few buttons and ours were ready in one minute. I walked up to the MO counter and got ours with no waiting. It seriously blew my mind how many people were not using MO.

One thing to note: If budget is important staying offsite is the way to go. There are many hotels on Harbor that are actually closer to the parks than the Disneyland Hotel and definitely Paradise Pier. If money is no object then I agree with the above to stay at the Grand Californian (it's similar to Wilderness Lodge) but you have your own access into DCA.
There aren't a lot of benefits for staying onsite vs offsite. The difference is that the only way to get EMH for DCA is to stay on site. Anything over a 3 day ticket will get you one EMH in Disneyland.

My other tip - get a park hopper! The parks entrances face each other and and seperaed by and espalade slightly smaller than a football field.

The difference is that the only way to get EMH for DCA is to stay on site. Anything over a 3 day ticket will get you one EMH in Disneyland.
It's 3+ days to get Magic Morning. I did it with a 3 day ticket although I added a day after I'd already used my MM admission. MM is only available three days a week at Disneyland Park, while EMH is available every day of the stay at DL or DCA.

Schedule for Magic Morning
Magic Mornings at Disneyland Park are available during these select days:​
  • Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday
What Is Extra Magic Hour?
With Extra Magic Hour, an early admission option, registered Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests enjoy—during every day of hotel stay—admission to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park for one full hour before the parks open to the general public on select days.​

Wear lots of sunblock! I used to hear how amazing cali weather was and my dumb self was like oh okay they say its not as hot I won't go crazy with the sunscreen. Then I got there and I realized most of the ride queues are outdoors so I was in the heat more than I thought.

It's 3+ days to get Magic Morning. I did it with a 3 day ticket although I added a day after I'd already used my MM admission. MM is only available three days a week at Disneyland Park, while EMH is available every day of the stay at DL or DCA.

Schedule for Magic Morning
Magic Mornings at Disneyland Park are available during these select days:​

• Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday
What Is Extra Magic Hour?
With Extra Magic Hour, an early admission option, registered Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests enjoy—during every day of hotel stay—admission to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park for one full hour before the parks open to the general public on select days.​
You are correct but if you stay off site you also get access to one of the Extra Magic Hours(Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday) at Disneyland with a 3-5 day park pass If you want the extra hour at DCA you need to stay onsite. Considering the Disney resorts are $200 + more per night than some of the off site hotels it doesn't feel like a huge benefit to me. Especially since not all of Disneyland is open for that first hour - but I've gotten most of Fantasyland done on one of those early extra hour mornings.

I just wanted to the poster to know in case budget was an issue that they could still get an extra magic hour at disneyland with the 3 day park pass. I don't think that is the case at WDW - I think you have to be an onsite guest to get that benefit. Also wanted the poster to know that the time to get the parks from an off site hotel is the same or faster than staying onsite.

You are correct but if you stay off site you also get access to one of the Extra Magic Hours(Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday) at Disneyland with a 3-5 day park pass If you want the extra hour at DCA you need to stay onsite. Considering the Disney resorts are $200 + more per night than some of the off site hotels it doesn't feel like a huge benefit to me. Especially since not all of Disneyland is open for that first hour - but I've gotten most of Fantasyland done on one of those early extra hour mornings.

I just wanted to the poster to know in case budget was an issue that they could still get an extra magic hour at disneyland with the 3 day park pass. I don't think that is the case at WDW - I think you have to be an onsite guest to get that benefit. Also wanted the poster to know that the time to get the parks from an off site hotel is the same or faster than staying onsite.

What I'm trying to get across is that Disneyland specifically refers to the 3+ day benefit as "Magic Morning" with those three specific days of the week, and only a single use per ticket. We did that last week. Didn't get there at rope drop, but still managed to get in a couple of rides without ridiculous lines. It also gave us a chance to get a jump on getting FastPass.

You are correct but if you stay off site you also get access to one of the Extra Magic Hours(Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday) at Disneyland with a 3-5 day park pass...
What I'm trying to get across is that Disneyland specifically refers to the 3+ day benefit as "Magic Morning" with those three specific days of the week, and only a single use per ticket. We did that last week. Didn't get there at rope drop, but still managed to get in a couple of rides without ridiculous lines. It also gave us a chance to get a jump on getting FastPass.
Just to clarify: Only on site guests have the EMH perk at DL. For off site guests with a 3+ day ticket, the perk is called MM -- and there is only one MM attached to each 3+ day ticket. So a 5 day ticket only gets one MM and a 3 day ticket only gets one MM. (And 3+ day tickets purchased at the ticket booths and military discount tickets do not come with MM.) At DCA, the early hour perk is technically called EE (Early Entry), but most people just call it EMH anyway -- and it is only available to on site guests.

Just to clarify: Only on site guests have the EMH perk at DL. For off site guests with a 3+ day ticket, the perk is called MM -- and there is only one MM attached to each 3+ day ticket. So a 5 day ticket only gets one MM and a 3 day ticket only gets one MM. (And 3+ day tickets purchased at the ticket booths and military discount tickets do not come with MM.) At DCA, the early hour perk is technically called EE (Early Entry), but most people just call it EMH anyway -- and it is only available to on site guests.
Thank you for clarifying- all the names for early entry always confuse me. It was even more confusing in WDW where they had the paid events.

You are going to love it! You’ve gotten amazing and thorough information, but my top tips on DLR vs WDW would be:
1. Get park hoppers even if you don’t at WDW. The parks are so close together they’re almost like one big park, and once you’ve gone through security into the esplanade you can hop back and forth without going through it again.

2. Max Pass is fantastic and worth every penny, especially since your kids aren’t super little. I far prefer it to FP+.

3. We always stay onsite at WDW, but don’t find that it’s needed at DLR, and the cost is much higher. The on-site hotels are gorgeous and fantastic, but you can stay a very short walk away for a fraction of the price. We love Best Western Park Place Inn - half the distance that YC was to Epcot and much less expensive. Of course if staying onsite is
important to your family, go for it!

Have a wonderful trip!

Hi there! I'm so excited for you all to experience "The Land." I grew up a WDW girl - my family would go about every other summer and from Texas, Orlando was much closer than Anaheim. I have a few thoughts as someone who was in a similar situation to you all:

1) Don't compare! A lot of people like to talk about which coast is "better" and while it's fun to discuss which versions of rides you prefer, I think you're going to have way more fun if you just experience Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure for what they are - not comparing them to the 4 Orlando parks. I love BOTH coast's parks equally - just for different reasons.

2) Park hopping and MaxPass are MUSTS. The distance from one park's turnstiles to the other is about the length of a football field. It's so easy to hop back and forth. MaxPass costs extra per day but it's SO WORTH IT. As soon as you scan your ticket into one park that morning, you can begin reserving FP times from the Disneyland app for EITHER park. And you have a shorter window of required wait time between FPs (90 mins versus 120.) It's also SUPER easy to cancel an FP from your phone and grab a new one instead.

3) On site hotels are NOT necessary. Proximity to the turnstiles is what you should be thinking about. Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian are both pretty close to the turnstiles, but there are some hotels just across Harbor Blvd that are a shorter walk (think 7 minutes from hotel room to turnstiles). Paradise Pier Hotel is DEFINITELY not worth it - something like a 15 or 20 minute walk. If you want to splurge on a Disney hotel, cool beans. I just personally think there are much better uses of your money.

4) When you visit REALLY matters because Disneyland is a local's park. I highly recommend going by this guideline: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/crowd-calendar-disneyland/ as these bloggers are locals with years of experience heading to the Land at all times of year.

5) I think for your first visit, you should have 4 full days in the parks. And I would split up your trip like this: arrival day, park day 1, park day 2, REST DAY!!, park day 3, park day 4, departure day. This will give you time to SAVOR the parks and enjoy the seasonal offerings.

6) There are tons of things to splurge on as far as tours and dining packages and such. The one I would recommend over and over again is the Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dining Package. Blue Bayou is a GORGEOUSLY themed restaurant, and the food is always tasty. The plus of this dining package is that you get a 3 course meal (cheaper if you get the lunch package) and reserved front and center seating for Fantasmic that night. They even add in a souvenir seat cushion for you (which is nice, because you're gonna be sitting on the ground to watch Fantasmic.) The DHS version of Fantasmic is my least-favorite nighttime show at WDW, but I LOVE Disneyland's version!! It's very popular out here, and it's nice to skip the hassle of trying to get a Fastpass and then waiting in line to get into the Fastpass section.

7) You don't have to plan out your day nearly as much as you do at WDW. It's still important to be there at rope drop and to prioritize your time for your first 3ish hours in the park. But I've never had a day where, by lunch time, I wasn't on to re-riding major attractions. That always leaves me free time to go back to my hotel for a couple hours around 2 pm to nap, rest my feet, etc. (Hey.. I need my sleep) and then come back to stay until fireworks. This is another reason why hotel proximity is so important! I personally love Casey Starnes' blog DisneylandDaily. She has a very helpful article called "How to Start Your Day at Disneyland Resort" https://disneylanddaily.com/how-to-start-your-day-at-the-disneyland-resort/. If you follow her suggestions, you're going to see everything you want to see without waiting more than about 20 mins for rides (with the exception of the SWGE ones.)

Thank u so much for advice. I’ve been down and out with flu. I appreciate it:)!

Thank u to all for such helpful information. I’ve been down and out with the flu and finally getting around to checking my post. I truly appreciate all your help:)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter