Advice for New Years at WDW please.

DiningPlanDevastator

Smile more.
Just booked a trip to WDW arriving December 29th and departing on January 3.

Need help on what to do with kids on New Years eve?

We tried New Year's at Epcot one year. Did not go well. We left the park (Epcot may have been our first mistake) round 10:30 and watched the count down on TV. The parks meet max capacity very early and the crowds are horrible. If the kids are small this can be very stressful. We have vowed never again. If you are staying at a Disney resort, they my offer something on site.

How old are the kids? I've done MK New Year's Eve with two other adults. It was a lot of fun, but there came a point where there was no moving on Main Street. We left CP at 10 PM, and just camped out on the porch for two hours to watch the midnight fireworks. If your kids are older, they probably will enjoy it. There's a DJ and a real party atmosphere that's infectious. If the kids are younger, it may be too much for them; only you could say. Instead, maybe try a fun dinner show like HDDR. You could go to the late show and stick around in FW to watch the fireworks from there. If you're staying at any resort with an MK view and don't want to go to a park, I'd watch from there. Dress little ones in their pajamas and bring blankets to bundle up in or lay on while you wait.

It depends how old your children are, and how late they can stay out without being miserable.

We did Epcot for New Year's Eve this past New Years. LOVED IT! We started the day in Magic Kingdom around 10am with our 3 kids (9, 6, 4) and used our 3 fast passes there, had lunch in the park, and then went back to our Resort. Even though the park had reached a phase 1 closure before we even arrived, we didn't think it was that bad. We were able to walk around easily and get to the rides that we had already reserved and we even had a short wait for lunch at Pinocchio's Village Haus (which was GROSS, for the record). After that we went back to our resort to relax and swim (and I did laundry as we were leaving the next day) and then we had dinner at 6 o'clock at Trail's End in Fort Wilderness. We decided to leave the kids with my mother in law so we could have an adult night out. We didn't even get to Epcot until maybe 8 o'clock and the world showcase wasn't that busy. There were already people set up around the Lagoon for Illuminations, which I thought was crazy. I mean I guess they wanted to see Illuminations, but we weren't going to waste all of our New Year's Eve sitting on the grass. We didn't go to the lagoon until right before the fireworks and everyone just pushed to the front anyway, so "saving a spot" was a waste of time.

I have to say the World Showcase on New Year's Eve was fantastic! Every few countries there was a party, lots of music. My husband has been to Times Square said it was even better than that! There were so many people, but everyone was having a really good time. I wouldn't go there with my children just because I wouldn't be able to really enjoy myself-- it's definitely a more adult environment than the other parks. There was a decent amount of people who were dressed like they were going to a club, however my husband and I were in a regular park clothes . There was alcohol flowing everywhere and this is the first time at Disney I've ever seen really really drunk people stumbling around (no fights or anything) and I've been to food and wine for 4 years in a row.

To my recollection Epcot never experienced any kind of the phased closure, and hasn't in many years. I will note that it took us over 2 hours to get back to our motorhome in Fort Wilderness. The busses were crazy backed up and there was traffic everywhere.

We went to MK on NYE-E to see the fireworks there. I'm not someone who will sit & wait for a "good spot" to watch fireworks, so I sucked it up and purchased the Dessert Party for my family. The desserts were kind of "meh" but it was worth the money to have a seat and a pretty decent view of the fireworks with no standing around -- Note: I've been reading that Disney has changed how they seat for fireworks parties, and you may have to wait in line to be guaranteed a good seat. You'll have to do more research if you chose this option. That evening was insane. It seemed like ALL of MK had people standing shoulder to shoulder.

My kids loved the NYE party on the beach at Fort Wilderness. They had a DJ, games, and gave our noise makers and hats. I think every resort does something, so if you don't want to venture into the parks there's always that option.

We loved Christmas Week/NYE so much that we'll be back again this year from 12/26-1/1! Is it crowded? YES. But it's still awesome!!!

It depends how old your children are, and how late they can stay out without being miserable.

We did Epcot for New Year's Eve this past New Years. LOVED IT! We started the day in Magic Kingdom around 10am with our 3 kids (9, 6, 4) and used our 3 fast passes there, had lunch in the park, and then went back to our Resort. Even though the park had reached a phase 1 closure before we even arrived, we didn't think it was that bad. We were able to walk around easily and get to the rides that we had already reserved and we even had a short wait for lunch at Pinocchio's Village Haus (which was GROSS, for the record). After that we went back to our resort to relax and swim (and I did laundry as we were leaving the next day) and then we had dinner at 6 o'clock at Trail's End in Fort Wilderness. We decided to leave the kids with my mother in law so we could have an adult night out. We didn't even get to Epcot until maybe 8 o'clock and the world showcase wasn't that busy. There were already people set up around the Lagoon for Illuminations, which I thought was crazy. I mean I guess they wanted to see Illuminations, but we weren't going to waste all of our New Year's Eve sitting on the grass. We didn't go to the lagoon until right before the fireworks and everyone just pushed to the front anyway, so "saving a spot" was a waste of time.

I have to say the World Showcase on New Year's Eve was fantastic! Every few countries there was a party, lots of music. My husband has been to Times Square said it was even better than that! There were so many people, but everyone was having a really good time. I wouldn't go there with my children just because I wouldn't be able to really enjoy myself-- it's definitely a more adult environment than the other parks. There was a decent amount of people who were dressed like they were going to a club, however my husband and I were in a regular park clothes . There was alcohol flowing everywhere and this is the first time at Disney I've ever seen really really drunk people stumbling around (no fights or anything) and I've been to food and wine for 4 years in a row.

To my recollection Epcot never experienced any kind of the phased closure, and hasn't in many years. I will note that it took us over 2 hours to get back to our motorhome in Fort Wilderness. The busses were crazy backed up and there was traffic everywhere.

We went to MK on NYE-E to see the fireworks there. I'm not someone who will sit & wait for a "good spot" to watch fireworks, so I sucked it up and purchased the Dessert Party for my family. The desserts were kind of "meh" but it was worth the money to have a seat and a pretty decent view of the fireworks with no standing around -- Note: I've been reading that Disney has changed how they seat for fireworks parties, and you may have to wait in line to be guaranteed a good seat. You'll have to do more research if you chose this option. That evening was insane. It seemed like ALL of MK had people standing shoulder to shoulder.

My kids loved the NYE party on the beach at Fort Wilderness. They had a DJ, games, and gave our noise makers and hats. I think every resort does something, so if you don't want to venture into the parks there's always that option.

We loved Christmas Week/NYE so much that we'll be back again this year from 12/26-1/1! Is it crowded? YES. But it's still awesome!!!

Awesome! I'll be there Dec 29th - Jan 3. My son is 4 and don't think he'll be up to party all night. Thought about eating dinner somewhere and going back to resort when he's ready.

How old are the kids? I've done MK New Year's Eve with two other adults. It was a lot of fun, but there came a point where there was no moving on Main Street. We left CP at 10 PM, and just camped out on the porch for two hours to watch the midnight fireworks. If your kids are older, they probably will enjoy it. There's a DJ and a real party atmosphere that's infectious. If the kids are younger, it may be too much for them; only you could say. Instead, maybe try a fun dinner show like HDDR. You could go to the late show and stick around in FW to watch the fireworks from there. If you're staying at any resort with an MK view and don't want to go to a park, I'd watch from there. Dress little ones in their pajamas and bring blankets to bundle up in or lay on while you wait.

Thanks for the info. My son is 4. My wife and I aren't looking to "boogie" all night but just curious about what our options will be...

Best!

We did NYE at HS one year and it was a lot of fun. It was crowded, but it really didn't get too bad until 11:00pm. There was a big dance party around the hat (this was in 2007/8) with a DJ and extra food vendors set up. I would not do it with a 4yr old. It would just be too much. I agree with maybe finding something fun to do at your resort and trying to see the fireworks from there.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on some of the TS restaurants NYE and NY Day at the resorts? Is it hard to find availability or do they holidays skew it one way or the other?

We did NYE at HS one year and it was a lot of fun. It was crowded, but it really didn't get too bad until 11:00pm. There was a big dance party around the hat (this was in 2007/8) with a DJ and extra food vendors set up. I would not do it with a 4yr old. It would just be too much. I agree with maybe finding something fun to do at your resort and trying to see the fireworks from there.

I agree... We will take it easy and see what's available at our resort.

Took my nieces to WDW during their Christmas break and we did AK during the day followed by HDDR (late showing) and went to the party at the campground's marina to wait to see the MK NYE fireworks. Lot's of fun but the girls were teenagers so late night was fine for them. We were staying at FW in my camper so easy getting back. Hope y'all have a great time.

We did nye a few years ago. Holy crap. Lol. It was really cool but never again!

We did MK that day and got there super early in the morning. There were literally no lines on anything. We walked right into everything all morning. We left the park around 1 and it had gotten really busy at that point. Came back a little before dinner time to complete and utter madness. I have never seen the parks so busy in my life, and I've been there during the Christmas rush many times. Wall to wall people, they had to open up the hidden back passages that are usually reserved for cast members because it was so packed. The fireworks at midnight were beyond amazing though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter