Advice for taking 2 year old . . .

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
My DH and I LOVED our trip to DW in January 2001 so we have decided to take our son to DW for 9 nine days for his 2nd birthday (it's for his birthday but WE can't get enough of DW). My parents will also be going with us. We are planning to arrive in the afternoon on a Saturday and are going to spend that whole day just wandering around the resort (All Star Movies) and in the pool (we're going in late September, early October), and then we are thinking of doing the Garden Grill Character dinner. We will do a theme park one day and then the next day spend the day in the pool or water park so we don't exhaust the little guy. We figure that we probably get going early on the theme park days and then go back to the resort for a nap, then return to the park at night.

Please share ANY advice you have for doing DW with a little boy who will just be turning 2 years old. What do kids that age like and not like at DW? What are some hassels we should expect at DW with a two year old?

~Bring a good stroller, after the first day, DD would always crash in the afternoon and it was good to have her stroller that reclined fully. We always stayed in the parks during nap times. It gave me a chance to go through the stores, baby swap w/ ease, and time for DH and I to enjoy the park together.
~Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and lots of water.
~We always brought in a swimsuit and water shoes to the parks so she could go wild at the little water areas. It made for a nice break, gave her a big cool down, and a chance for us to sit and relax.
~If you and DH like the bigger rides that DS can't go on, take advantage of the baby swaps.
~When you hit main street go into the candy shop and pick up a couple bundles of the mickey head lollipops. They aren't too big, they're really cute, and a pretty good price for 6 or however many came in a group. These are GREAT to give DS when waiting in a line for something.
~As far as what your DS will like or dislike, well ever since DD went at 1 (almost 2) she likes everthing that she can get on. She's a speed freak and loves the small rollercoasters, luckily we've been able to go on them since she's 2 because she's always been tall. (she did TOT at 3)

hi - i agree with chitownzee - a good stroller is key - because you can always stay on
the go in wdw your son's "downtime" may be different than when at home - and you
won't be able to plan it - so you with your own stroller you can take it whenever it
happens -

having your parents is good - but what we did with my parents is take walkie-talkies so
that if they wanted to stay someplace or actually go someplace when my son was resting
we all didn't have to be together - we could keep in contact when we needed to - no
hard feelings when someone was late

also - bring a breakfast snack - we brought cheerios in a rubbermaid container and this
helped our son when timing couldn't get him food (sometimes when we wanted to eat
breakfast in the parks we would give him some until we got to the park - it was just
enough to hold him over)

and lastly - enjoy what he'll like to do - we've been going every two years since our
oldest was 18 mos and each time we do different things because their interests have
been different - at a younger age they like the inpromptu shows - as they get older
they like the rides - but thru all the times we've been there - we've actually covered
so much more by working around their age appropriate activities rather than ours

have a great time

kiddisney

I think those are all great tips. DD loved the bear in the big blue house show at MGM.It is now playhouse disney show (still has bear). Her favorite thing at this age was the fountains. she was so wet and cute . Bring a towel . Also was hard to get her out of them, didn't want leave.

Bring a towel .

Yes! Definately! I forgot to write that, we bring along a small towel from the hotel along w/ her swim suit and water shoes.

We have been 3 times since our DD was born. Our last trip she turned 2 while we were there. If you tell them at the Character meals that you are celebrating a birthday they will usually have a small surprise. ie a cup cake or a card signed by the characters. This year we were lucky enough to have Cindy's ressies for her bithday. Way Cool! The table was decorated with stremers and she got a certificate signed by the Princesses. For my DS birthday the year before we ate at Crystal Palace, he got a cup cake and a card.

My DD has always loved the rides. They can ride anything without a height limit, which is a lot. She also loved the Disney Playhouse at MGM. All the characters were great,take lots of film!:D

My kids loved everything at that age. We stayed in the parks at nap time - just reclined the stroller and walked around till they fell asleep. Maybe you could have the grandparents save a seat for the parade while you walk around - that way you still have a good view but your son doesn't have to wait too long. Use baby swap on rides he can go on. Also, check out Downtown Disney - the fountains are fun to play in and so is the Lego store. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter