Advice for those of you with Nov/Dec trips booked

We've been the first week of December with weather in the 80s and we've been on a December 3rd when the weather got down to lows in the 30s. We weren't prepared.

We did a 2 week trip in December in 2010, and we swam one day and needed coats the next. It is hard to be prepared.

I had a turtle neck and a fleece Columbia vest with me, and my photo album looks like I only had one outfit. I also ended up buying a Harry Potter hoodie when we went to Universal. It wasn't too bad except the night we did the Wishes dessert party. That night was just freezing - we might have consumed our weight in hot chocolate and hot tea.

This trip was also when I discovered those chemical hand warmer packets. We were approached to ride in the parade at Animal Kingdom, back when they still did that. They gave us each a set of the hand warmers - oh, those are delightful. They kept our hands warm for hours after the parade.

We went several years ago in December when it hit 24. Besides the regular cold weather gear, the thing that saved us the most were gloves and stocking caps. Even when the temps are in the 70's, the early morning and late evenings can het pretty nippy!

we always pack thin gloves and hats for extra warmth... lol to a pp,one year we underpacked and hit a major cold snap that didn't end... I just wore layers with my one sweater on top the whole trip...kept changing tees underneath but from photos it appears I never changed at all! in emergency,I layer.... 2 tees,a a l/s shirt,and a sweater with gloves and cap can be quite warm.(along with the socks,don't forget the socks)

I don't get cold easily, but my general game plan is to wear long pants every day (Khakis or Jeans) and a T-Shirt with the occasional button-down, and then bring a jacket with me to layer on top as necessary.

I am going to be there Nov 11th-17th. It shows high 70's to low 80's as the high. I was planning on shorts and Tshirts and packing hoodies for at night. Is that a bad plan?????
I would at least bring to two pairs of long pants as well as 2-3 nice, warm hoodies. Last year, we went the same time, and all the way up to the last few days before we left, the forecast was for upper 70's and a few low 80s. Then a cold spell and snow happened further north to cause the Florida temps to drop, and my husband and I were then wearing the same one hoodie and one pair of pants that we wore on the plane ride in EVERY DAY. One day at Epcot it was in the upper 40's!! I was so close to buying a scarf and gloves! I did wound up purchasing a $60 HP hoodie when we went to Universal because I was starting to feel stinky in my same hoodie everyday.

I had never gone to Disney during this time if year. I had gone in March, May, August, September but never November/December like I did last year. I was not prepared and want to share my story. I am an organized, prepared list maker who gets the dining/fast passes she wants. With that said, I was not prepared for the unseasonably cold weather we had while there. It was 32 degrees as we sat and watched the Christmas parade. Someone said we should have bought coats but coats/hats/gloves for 6 is a large extra expense that could have been easily avoided had we packed them!
Yep, I tell anyone who asks if you don't go to Disney in the spring and summer, when you know it will be hot, be prepared for ANYTHING.
We've frozen, literally below 32, in March and December.
We have also swam in March and December
In March, it was the same trip.

This thread just echoes the discussions my daughter and I have about packing. We will have jeans and T-shirts. We have hoodies, fleece, gloves and head bands (ear muffs). Then...I'm thinking rain gear, jacket and pants. Wind Jacket and wind pants. North Face Wind Blocker Jacket with fleece if it gets really chilly at night. Then....a few pairs of shorts and T's if it gets into the 80's during the day. On top of all that....shoes...ugh! Have sneakers, sandals and flip flops. It's just crazy how much I have to bring....but I'd rather be prepared than too cold or too hot. And of course swim suits...because no matter how cold it gets, I'm in the pool everyday!

And to add....I've only every been to Disney in September and it has been crazy hot!

Didn't read the entire thread so sorry if I missed it. YES, weather in the winter months is unpredictable at WDW. We have worn shorts one day and sweatshirts with layers underneath the next.

One more tip to add - if you are flying - have the extra layers in your carry-on (or on you if you are coming from a colder climate). 19 years ago we were so happy to be leaving the cold Chicago weather for sunny warm Florida so we tucked out coats into our checked bags. After all, we weren't going to need them when we got to Florida! - and our sweatshirts were also in our checked bags. Well, needless to say a delayed flight led to lost luggage. We also hit a nice cold front in Florida. We ended up having to buy expensive heavy sweatshirts at Disney to tide us through until our luggage showed up a couple of days later. Of course, we treasured the sweatshirts and the memories - after all - it was our 1st anniversary. But we also learned and now pack layers in our carry-on and always have our coats on the plane with us.

Very good advice on this thread! I'm from Michigan so I know cold. However, last December I was woefully underdressed for our 3 days at WDW after a cruise. I was wearing jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a warm up jacket and a lighter weight winter coat. I also had gloves. In Michigan, I would have worn the same thing (without the warm up jacket), but my day would have been from the car to the mall entrance, from the parking lot to the bank, from the parking lot to Cosco. We spent the day in Hollywood Studios. It was 48 degrees with a cold misty drizzle all day. I was absolutely freezing all day.

We leave next week and it's going to be mid 80's during the day and high 60's at night. Not too worried about being cold! Even though-we each bring a sweatshirt. Most of the time it just sits in the room but good to have just in case. Also the cheap little gloves. I love how they roll out the cart and charge $5 for the plain black ones. You know, the same ones you can get at Old Navy and Target for a buck!

We despise Florida weather and don't go to WDW in the hot and humid months. Just refuse to be that miserable. Joke on us though, as it was 102 in Disneyland last month!! Ugh. Really gross.......not magical at all.

I've been to WDW in January at it was 32 degrees. I have such a distinct memory of freezing my nay nays off, specifically when I was taking a picture with Timon. I was shaking so much Timon was mocking me and shaking with me! In the picture, we both look normal, but it's a funny memory.

Didn't read the entire thread so sorry if I missed it. YES, weather in the winter months is unpredictable at WDW. We have worn shorts one day and sweatshirts with layers underneath the next.

One more tip to add - if you are flying - have the extra layers in your carry-on (or on you if you are coming from a colder climate). 19 years ago we were so happy to be leaving the cold Chicago weather for sunny warm Florida so we tucked out coats into our checked bags. After all, we weren't going to need them when we got to Florida! - and our sweatshirts were also in our checked bags. Well, needless to say a delayed flight led to lost luggage. We also hit a nice cold front in Florida. We ended up having to buy expensive heavy sweatshirts at Disney to tide us through until our luggage showed up a couple of days later. Of course, we treasured the sweatshirts and the memories - after all - it was our 1st anniversary. But we also learned and now pack layers in our carry-on and always have our coats on the plane with us.
Wow! Good point. We are coming from NH, so I did plan on wearing a fleece...it's quite cold here already....but never thought about lost luggage! Ugh! But I am bringing my swimsuit with me....so I'll be waiting in the nice warm hot tub! LOL!

We leave next week and it's going to be mid 80's during the day and high 60's at night. Not too worried about being cold! Even though-we each bring a sweatshirt. Most of the time it just sits in the room but good to have just in case. Also the cheap little gloves. I love how they roll out the cart and charge $5 for the plain black ones. You know, the same ones you can get at Old Navy and Target for a buck!

We despise Florida weather and don't go to WDW in the hot and humid months. Just refuse to be that miserable. Joke on us though, as it was 102 in Disneyland last month!! Ugh. Really gross.......not magical at all.

I've been to WDW in January at it was 32 degrees. I have such a distinct memory of freezing my nay nays off, specifically when I was taking a picture with Timon. I was shaking so much Timon was mocking me and shaking with me! In the picture, we both look normal, but it's a funny memory.
Yeah, I'm with you on the hot weather. September was too hot for us...so we decided on November and of course the Christmas decorations. I've never been at Christmas, so really excited. And excited to have much cooler weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter