Advice needed: Back problems right before trip

coup2516

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We’re set to visit VGF and AKV for my 4-year-old’s 1st visit. We’ve been planning for months, and he’s so excited!

Of course, a week or two before we’re set to leave, my back decides to start acting up, and it’s to the point now that I can’t stand up straight and can’t walk from one room of my house to another without being in a lot of pain. I’m devastated, and I don’t know what to do. There’s no way I can walk around the parks.

Do I plead my case to Member Services and pray that they’ll take pity on me and refund my points AND let me bank them late (Dec UY)? This sounds like it has zero chance of working, though.

Or do I suck it up and rent an electric scooter? I’m in my mid-30s, and I’m just hating the idea, but maybe I need to just get over it.

Any other ideas? Personal experiences? General advice? TIA!

First, you need to go to your doctor. It sounds like you've already decided there's nothing they can do, and you don't know that yet.

Second, Disney is very accessible, and there are SOOO many products that aren't massive rental scooters. Renting a power chair isn't that huge of a deal. It's just a piece of equipment. Especially if you are driving, you might be amazed what is available locally and you can just throw in your car.

First, you need to go to your doctor. It sounds like you've already decided there's nothing they can do, and you don't know that yet.

Second, Disney is very accessible, and there are SOOO many products that aren't massive rental scooters. Renting a power chair isn't that huge of a deal. It's just a piece of equipment. Especially if you are driving, you might be amazed what is available locally and you can just throw in your car.
Thanks for the encouragement about the rental. We will have a car there.

I’ve been trying to get in with any doctor of mine all week, but there are just no openings. Last resort would be the ER, I guess.

As some one who had their neck fused together (C5-C6) before I was 30 (American Football Injury), if you can't get into a doctor I recommend advil or similar and ice. No heat on your back. Also if you exercise, try just walking around instead of any intense workouts.

Hope you can make your trip.

DH has serious back issues. When he has a flare, we use lots of aspercreme, takes a tylenol then takes a nap in the recliner. It usually alleviates the pain and occasionally he gets up like nothing happened. Being in the recliner seems to do the trick. YMMV.

I wish you well!

I would go to a chiropractor who went to Palmer . Years ago on Halloween I was in the same boat . Went in for an adjustment and literally danced out of his office . Use ice on your back and sit in a hard chair or lay in bed until you can get an appointment .

I would try a chiropractor asap... or do you have an urgent care? We have an orthopedic urgent care... that might be a good option too. If your doctor isn't able to see you, then at least ask what they think you should do.

I see you're from PA. I'm not sure where but I have a good Chiropractor that I see in the Cheltenham area. A goos one can perform miracles. If you're interested and live near by PM .

I would go to a chiropractor who went to Palmer . Years ago on Halloween I was in the same boat . Went in for an adjustment and literally danced out of his office . Use ice on your back and sit in a hard chair or lay in bed until you can get an appointment .
Thanks! I’ve been seeing one the past few days. I feel fantastic immediately after, but within an hour, I’m back to where I started. 😔

I had a foot/ankle issue last summer that had me unable to walk much without a LOT of pain. I also never imagined that I would rent an electric scooter (early 50s but athletic) and we had a great vacation. Disney is very accessible - it just takes a little getting used to.

Before I discovered the miracle cure of a really nice mattress my back would go out once or twice a year. It hasn’t gone out once in the five years since we got our mattress.

My wife had a treatment that was great for temporary relief. She always did 20 minutes of wet heat (warm washcloth with a heating pad and I liked to stick a pillow on top to weight it down a bit. Followed by 10 minutes of wet cold (cold wet washcloth with a ziplock full of ice on top). Then another 10 of wet heat.

It was great for a couple hours then back to where I started. It did seem to speed things up getting back to normal though.

Maybe ask your doctor about something like this so you can do it yourself a couple times a day while you are there.

Plus you still have time to get better before you go. Good luck!

Before I discovered the miracle cure of a really nice mattress my back would go out once or twice a year. It hasn’t gone out once in the five years since we got our mattress.

My wife had a treatment that was great for temporary relief. She always did 20 minutes of wet heat (warm washcloth with a heating pad and I liked to stick a pillow on top to weight it down a bit. Followed by 10 minutes of wet cold (cold wet washcloth with a ziplock full of ice on top). Then another 10 of wet heat.

It was great for a couple hours then back to where I started. It did seem to speed things up getting back to normal though.

Maybe ask your doctor about something like this so you can do it yourself a couple times a day while you are there.

Plus you still have time to get better before you go. Good luck!
Thanks so much! I have been wondering if my mattress is the culprit. I’m like you - my back goes out once or twice a year - too much if you ask me! I just don’t know where to start with finding the right mattress for me!

Thanks so much! I have been wondering if my mattress is the culprit. I’m like you - my back goes out once or twice a year - too much if you ask me! I just don’t know where to start with finding the right mattress for me!

I don’t know if I am supposed to name mine but it is from the most prominent memory foam maker. It is a hybrid memory foam with springs below. It cost more than my first car but was worth every penny.

We were very pleased in the mattress store. The lady there was very knowledgeable and narrowed it down to different ones at various price points based upon what we told her. She wouldn’t sell us a mattress until we laid on it for at least 45 minutes. She made us get pillows and everything. We felt silly but I haven’t had back issues for years.

Maybe ask your chiropractor to recommend something. They will probably be very familiar with what you need.

I watched an interesting webinar for my professional organization, and the physician said she often has patients check their cholesterol when they have back pain. It has to do with veins that go to the back (lower?) and if they are constricted, it will cause pain. Anyhow, something I kept in my mind for the last year since I heard that, may be worth checking cholesterol and see if this may be source of the problem.

I've had back problems (and pain) for over 30 years. The worst times I hurt my back and was in severe pain was doing something so simple like getting out of a chair, bending over to pick up sheets off the floor....just turning the wrong way. For years I worked in the health care field and that didn't help either. I've also managed to have back problems on 2 Disney trips. Couldn't walk straight either. I remember being on the skyline and the little jolt and landing to get off didn't feel so little. I look back and I don't know how I managed a week at Disney. Didn't use a scooter either. I use a heating pad every day and travel with one. I also travel with Voltaren, Advil/Motrin, Tylenol and Salon Pas patches (they work so so). If you can't get in to see your doctor, maybe try an urgent care? Depending on your insurance, urgent care may be cheaper and you'll probably get seen faster. Muscle relaxers have worked for me in the past, you need a prescription for that. I'm so sorry you're going thru this, especially before a Disney trip.

That’s where mine went ☺️

I've had back problems (and pain) for over 30 years. The worst times I hurt my back and was in severe pain was doing something so simple like getting out of a chair, bending over to pick up sheets off the floor....just turning the wrong way. For years I worked in the health care field and that didn't help either. I've also managed to have back problems on 2 Disney trips. Couldn't walk straight either. I remember being on the skyline and the little jolt and landing to get off didn't feel so little. I look back and I don't know how I managed a week at Disney. Didn't use a scooter either. I use a heating pad every day and travel with one. I also travel with Voltaren, Advil/Motrin, Tylenol and Salon Pas patches (they work so so). If you can't get in to see your doctor, maybe try an urgent care? Depending on your insurance, urgent care may be cheaper and you'll probably get seen faster. Muscle relaxers have worked for me in the past, you need a prescription for that. I'm so sorry you're going thru this, especially before a Disney trip.
Thank you so much for your empathy. I’ve had about 15 years of back problems so far (with no end in sight). I think I might need to pack a whole bag for my medications and coping devices at this point 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter