Advice Needed for My WDW Vacation w/ Granny

Anim8ed

Mouseketeer
Hi, Everyone!

We'll be vacationing with my 81 year-old Granny at the end of March/beginning of April. She is looking forward to it despite the fact her favorite ride, IASW, is down for rehab. I heard it's scheduled to open March 18, but I haven't said anything because I don't want to get her hopes up if it doesn't pan out. We're all excited she's joining us as there will ten members of my family at WDW for vacation!

She can walk around the house, the supermarket, and the mall fine enough, albeit slowly and with a lot of effort. However, a theme park for hours at a time will just be too much for her to walk. So, we'll be getting her a wheelchair for the parks.

Anyway, this will be our first time dealing with wheelchair rentals and navigating the theme parks with a wheelchair or ECV(?). Is there any pointers some fellow DIS'ers have gained from their experiences that they'd be willing to pass on to me, please?

It's going to be mobbed as it is the week after Easter and I just would like to know what there is to know ahead of time. I'd like this vacation to go as smoothly as possible so that we all can enjoy being with each other in Walt Disney World!

Thanks!

If you can move it to the next weekend. Crowds will be much less.
If she will use an ECV have her practice with one at Walmart or the gracery store. They are bigger and it is easy to step down to the smaller one.

1) When you talk to "Granny" make sure you bend down or face her direction. Sound does not carry well in crowds, worse when the speaker is 2-3 feet taller than the listener. It's near impossible to hear my walking companions when their mouths are 2-3 feet higher than my ears, they are 2-3 steps ahead of me facing away from me, then mumble. Nothing irritates people more than lack of communication, especially the older you get.

2) Beware of mob-like crowds. They descend on you from three directions, and see the "empty space" (where your feet rest in a wheelchair or front wheel of your scooter) as viable places to dart. You'll either get bumped, stepped on or need to come to an abrupt stop. Scooters will protect Granny from getting hurt, but she may get rattled having accidentally "hurt" someone else (even if they were asking for it). If possible, when you see one of these mammoth crowds form (exiting EPCOT, in FantasyLand, near any street show or parade), have your party flank Granny. (One in front, one in rear or beside her.) Flankers can help ward off the stray jaywalkers.

3) Have fun!

If you haven't already read it, the FAQs near the top of this thread should be helpful.
A couple other hints:
Whether you have a wheelchair or ecv, MK is the hardest park. It's more congested with smaller spaces. There are more people and more kids there, so people are really looking at other things besides where they are going.
If you are pushing a wheelchair (or for granny, if she is driving an ecv), don't forget sunscreen on the hands. They will be facing up at the sun more than usual. Also, if granny is wearing shorts or a skirt, don't forget sunscreen on the legs.
It's harder to stop while going down hills (because gravity is helping pull you down the hill). It's actually pretty easy to gain speed as you push a wheelchair down a hill, so be aware.
Have her get out every hour and walk for a while to stretch her legs and avoid getting stiff (or blood clots from inactivity). She can actually push the wheelchair while she is walking to give herself something to lean on. Putting a backpack or something in the seat while she pushes will help make the wheelchair more stable. Just stand by so the wheelchair doesn't get away from her.

Anim8ed said:
Hi, Everyone!

We'll be vacationing with my 81 year-old Granny at the end of March/beginning of April. She is looking forward to it despite the fact her favorite ride, IASW, is down for rehab. I heard it's scheduled to open March 18, but I haven't said anything because I don't want to get her hopes up if it doesn't pan out. We're all excited she's joining us as there will ten members of my family at WDW for vacation!

She can walk around the house, the supermarket, and the mall fine enough, albeit slowly and with a lot of effort. However, a theme park for hours at a time will just be too much for her to walk. So, we'll be getting her a wheelchair for the parks.

Anyway, this will be our first time dealing with wheelchair rentals and navigating the theme parks with a wheelchair or ECV(?). Is there any pointers some fellow DIS'ers have gained from their experiences that they'd be willing to pass on to me, please?

It's going to be mobbed as it is the week after Easter and I just would like to know what there is to know ahead of time. I'd like this vacation to go as smoothly as possible so that we all can enjoy being with each other in Walt Disney World!

Thanks!

Hi

We'll also be travelling with my MIL age 84 in a wheelchair. She's never been to Disney before, can walk around at home and for short distances. She is super excited about going - particularly the fact that we are also taking her and granpa on the Disney Cruise. We'll be there the first week of April and I have no idea how this is all going to work out - is there a place that lists the rides that wheelchairs can go on???

tink&cinderella said:
Hi

We'll also be travelling with my MIL age 84 in a wheelchair. She's never been to Disney before, can walk around at home and for short distances. She is super excited about going - particularly the fact that we are also taking her and granpa on the Disney Cruise. We'll be there the first week of April and I have no idea how this is all going to work out - is there a place that lists the rides that wheelchairs can go on???
Go to the FAQs thread near the top of this Board.
There are some links that include a link to the text from the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. You'll find some basic info, including which rides she can stay in the wheelchair for.
Also, you will find an icon on the park maps and on signs outside each attraction that lets you know whether wheelchair/ecv users can stay seated for the entire expereince (little stick person in a wheelchair), whethere someone with an ecv has to transfer to a wheelchair (stick person getting out of ecv and into wheelchair) or whether a transfer to a ride vehicle is necessary (stick person getting out of wheelchair and standing).

Hi!
Seems many of us are traveling with our elders. My Mom(almost 82) and my adult sons will be with us. She had a knee relaced last year and has some pain from a broken ankle that has healed(albeit with pins and plate inside) I'm trying to convince her to rent a wheelchair. She'd never go for an EVC(?) I had my foot broken while waiting in a bus line at MGM by one that was driven by someone who forgot how to stop it. Anyway, Mom is terrified of hurting someone in one. She says she'll just stay at the hotel and enjoy the pool but I would really like to have her with us in the parks, at least to go to some of the shows. How hard are the wheelchairs to push and manuver? Are they readily available?

mom23guys2 said:
Hi!
How hard are the wheelchairs to push and manuver? Are they readily available?
It depends a lot on several factors. One is your mother's weight. Another is the time of year; it can be harder in extreme heat than when it is cooler. If you have adult sons they would probably be the pushers; how athletic are they? Although most of WDW is very level, there are some hills and bridges.

As far as availability; there are three options.

The first is to rent from off-site; this generally is a better wheelchir and one more suited for your mother's size and weight which the company will ask about. It is available to you at all times.

The second is if you are staying at a Disney resort you may be able to borrow one from the resort at no charge. There are no reservations, it is first-come, first-served, and the WC may be a wrong size. This also is available to you at all times.

Thirs is renting on a daily basis at the parks or DTD. It would be very unusual for them to run out of WCs and they are not as good as from off-site.

Hope this information helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter