Advice needed post foot surgery

twinzmom

Earning My Ears
I had foot surgery on April 15 and will be arriving at Disney World in late May. I am beginning to think I will need some help to get around the parks since I still have quite a limp.

The problem is that my husband and I will be bringing our two-year-old and our five-year-old twins. My toddler definitely needs a stroller and I'm thinking my twins do as well. How can we make this work? My husband obviously can't push me in a wheelchair and push two strollers at once.

I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who have managed a wheelchair while traveling with small kids.

Thanks!

I would rent an ECV (scooter) for yourself. You can read about them here on this board. Where are you staying?

Could you maybe use a double stroller & one five year old ata time walk awhile? Just a thought ...

We are staying on the grounds at Disney. I've never used an ECV...are they hard to operate and get on and off buses, etc? Could my toddler ride on my lap while using the ECV?

Thanks for the advice.

The ECVs, especially the rentals from off-site, are very easy to use. If you go to the disABILTIES index (by clicking on "disABILTIES" at the top of the page and then look for the 4th item which is the "disABILTIES FAQ" you will see a lot of information concerning ECVs.

Having an off-site rental allows you also to use it at your resort and Downtown Disney.

All of the buses are either lift or ramp equipped. There has been a recent thread (started by "Chip and Dale Express") which discusses all the different bus types in detail.

As far as carrying your toddler while in the ECV, this is very dangerous. The rental ECVs weigh more than 100 pounds and can travel at 4.5MPH. If he should accidently hit the control lever you can crash into people or things and cause serious injuries.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the controls would be so easily available on the handlebars.

Thanks again!

I know you didn't ask this, but personally, I would consider postponing this vacation until your foot is better. It seems to me that your making it unnecessarily hard on yourselves.. As a veteran of many foot problems, I know how important it is for the foot to get the rest/recovery it needs. It seems like it would be hard to do that effectively while struggling with 3 actve preschoolers in the happiest place on earth. my first thought was "your poor hubby!"

Cathy--scheduled for foot surgery in the fall, when the kids are back in school

Thanks again. I talked to my doctor and he said I can walk half a day and do a wheelchair for the other half. We'll make it work. I just need to make sure I rest.

Oh, good luck on your surgery! My kids are never back in school...we're homeschooling :)

As Cheshire Figment said it is very dangerous to let anyone sit on your lap.
In the contract from Walkers it states tht only the operator is allowed on the ECV. The ECV will be confiscated if this rule is violated and Walker finds out.
You may be able to do a tandem arrangement with DH pushing you in the wheelchair and you pushing the stroller. I did this with a shopping cart. Please don't flame me I'm sure there is a safe way to do this.

Cheshire Figment said:
TAs far as carrying your toddler while in the ECV, this is very dangerous. The rental ECVs weigh more than 100 pounds and can travel at 4.5MPH. If he should accidently hit the control lever you can crash into people or things and cause serious injuries.
::yes::
I have seen that happen.The child was excited and pointed at something, hitting the contol.
I think having an ecv and a double stroller would work best, although keeping track of 3 children is going to be a lot of work for your DH.
Also, the youngest child will definately need help getting on rides. The other 2 will need help on some rides.
You could maybe push a stroller while your DH pushes you in a wheelchair, but that would get tiring very fast, plus you may have to sit in an acward (I know that's not spelled right) way to reach the stroller.

Just read through these messages and wanted to add my $.02. I had multiple foot surgeries in Dec.. I had contracted necrotizing fasciitis in my left foot and heel and part of my calf. I almost lost my leg. I ended up with 3 different procedures and was stuck in bed for about 3 months (one of which was in the hospital... not fun). Anyways, mid-March I was cleared to start bearing weight and the first weekend after that we went to WDW! I used a scooter and boy did I need it. We also went last month (April around the mid of the month) and I used the scooter again. I'm glad I did, although I gotta admit I wasn't really liking it so much. I still needed it then. So I wouldn't nec. postpone a trip to WDW post-foot surgery, but it can cramp your style. We're going again for Star Wars Weekends on the 21st. This time I've been cleared to go without the scooter! I have a cane, plus we're renting a double stroller for my boys and I can kinda lean on that a little.
Anyways, I way digressed, WDW can be done post-foot surgery. Love your ECV and enjoy it.
Just watch out for folks, extra carefully, because they sometimes go blind when your sitting on an ECV. I can't tell you how many times people just kinda cut in front of me as I was scooting along!

Sara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter