Advice on Best Rates for Flights to Honolulu

Okay good places to check for a stop over is San Francisco, lax, Las Vegas, Seattle, and I’ll come back if I think of more. I’d say best day to book a flight is likely on a Tuesday. I’ve seen flights out of Dallas as low as 320 but with a layover. It’s kind of a hobby of mine to watch flight prices. I use google flights.

My goal is to fly out of one of the four previously announced SWA gateway cities in CA. Need to break up flight to two legs, 12 hours plus is just too much for me. Even then few direct flights from PIT to those four cities (SAN, OAK, SJC & SAC)

Flights to HNL out of vegas tend to be consistently a few hundred $ pp/leg more for dates i’ve Checked. Had hoped to stop somewhere easy to have a fun night before picking up flight to HNL next day. Was contemplating a short flight next day to one of the four announced SWA HNL gateway cities.

Doing a day or two @ DL also an option in the back of my mind on the way out but would require a short flight to one of the four gateway cities. Not about to drive to SAN in CA traffic but perhaps limo service might work

Just too many options to boggle my mind

I'm still waiting for Southwest to start flying to Hawaii our trip is in Sept..

I need end of April, have been following the drama since summer. Promises, promises; one delay after another. Nerve-wracking for an uber-disney planned to have HNL hotels & cruise bought & paid but no way to get there. A long walk from PIT haha.

Rumored updates:

*First flight test from Oakland was completed mid Dec

*FAA has approved Southwest’s ETOPS plans and procedures, company has entered the final approval phase.

*Ground crew is scheduled to report to work @ HNL mid January

*LAX May join the original four cities soon, followed by LAS

Confirmed:

*In early December SWA Exec. VP Greg Wells stated: ETOPS is close but that the start date for Hawaii flights is the wildcard. They were still waiting approval of flight manuals, when exercises and proving flights across the Pacific would start.

*Earlier SWA stated that the time between the announcement & their start of service would be ‘short’...thought to translate into a few weeks

My goal is to fly out of one of the four previously announced SWA gateway cities in CA. Need to break up flight to two legs, 12 hours plus is just too much for me. Even then few direct flights from PIT to those four cities (SAN, OAK, SJC & SAC)

Flights to HNL out of vegas tend to be consistently a few hundred $ pp/leg more for dates i’ve Checked. Had hoped to stop somewhere easy to have a fun night before picking up flight to HNL next day. Was contemplating a short flight next day to one of the four announced SWA HNL gateway cities.

Doing a day or two @ DL also an option in the back of my mind on the way out but would require a short flight to one of the four gateway cities. Not about to drive to SAN in CA traffic but perhaps limo service might work

Just too many options to boggle my mind

I need end of April, have been following the drama since summer. Promises, promises; one delay after another. Nerve-wracking for an uber-disney planned to have HNL hotels & cruise bought & paid but no way to get there. A long walk from PIT haha.

Rumored updates:

*First flight test from Oakland was completed mid Dec

*FAA has approved Southwest’s ETOPS plans and procedures, company has entered the final approval phase.

*Ground crew is scheduled to report to work @ HNL mid January

*LAX May join the original four cities soon, followed by LAS

Confirmed:

*In early December SWA Exec. VP Greg Wells stated: ETOPS is close but that the start date for Hawaii flights is the wildcard. They were still waiting approval of flight manuals, when exercises and proving flights across the Pacific would start.

*Earlier SWA stated that the time between the announcement & their start of service would be ‘short’...thought to translate into a few weeks

Latest news:

According to an internal memo dated Dec. 21, 2018, and obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, the airline has received approval for one of its required authorizations.

Southwest’s Chief Operating Officer Mike Van de Ven said in the memo: “I am proud to report that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) notified Southwest earlier today that the Extended Operations (ETOPS) procedures and manuals we submitted for review have been approved. This is a very important step in our journey to ETOPS authorization.”

However, just because it’s gotten approval for the ETOPS procedures and manuals that were submitted, Southwest still has to wait for additional approvals before launching Hawaii service. First, it has to prove its ETOPS procedures to the FAA in a formal tabletop exercise, before operating validation flights with FAA officials on board. Once complete, the airline will be able to launch its service from the US mainland to Hawaii.

“Once we complete these next steps to the satisfaction of the FAA, we will receive our ETOPS authorization and can announce the details of our planned service to Hawaii,” Van de Ven said in the memo.

According to the Chicago Business Times, sources say that the earliest that service could begin is March or April.

Latest news:

According to an internal memo dated Dec. 21, 2018, and obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, the airline has received approval for one of its required authorizations.

Southwest’s Chief Operating Officer Mike Van de Ven said in the memo: “I am proud to report that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) notified Southwest earlier today that the Extended Operations (ETOPS) procedures and manuals we submitted for review have been approved. This is a very important step in our journey to ETOPS authorization.”

However, just because it’s gotten approval for the ETOPS procedures and manuals that were submitted, Southwest still has to wait for additional approvals before launching Hawaii service. First, it has to prove its ETOPS procedures to the FAA in a formal tabletop exercise, before operating validation flights with FAA officials on board. Once complete, the airline will be able to launch its service from the US mainland to Hawaii.

“Once we complete these next steps to the satisfaction of the FAA, we will receive our ETOPS authorization and can announce the details of our planned service to Hawaii,” Van de Ven said in the memo.

According to the Chicago Business Times, sources say that the earliest that service could begin is March or April.

They are in the final approval stage and all indications are they are ready to hit the ground (air) running in a manner of weeks.

Wonder what sources that publication is referencing, listing commencement that far out when most of the other guesstimates are leaning toward February?

Regardless, at least SWA is moving forward. No matter how much I’d like to book them, safety first.

I am having a very hard time deciding what to do about flights to Hawaii. We are coming from the East Coast in July and I have already booked our flights to California. We will stay over then fly out to Oahu the next day. I wanted to wait for Southwest's entry into the market to see their prices (and free checked bags!) but with the govt shutdown and possibly shutting down again in a few weeks, I don't know if I should buy the flights on Hawaiian Airlines or wait for Southwest. I have flights on hold with Hawaiian (days and times I want plus nonstop from San Jose to Honolulu) but they are pricey and they charge for bags. We are locked into our dates (we are renting DVC points and I've already paid my friend) so I just don't know what to do. My hold for Hawaiian expires today (they were the lowest prices I had seen in a few months so hence the hold).

I follow Beat of Hawaii and their estimated timeline scares me a bit in terms of waiting.

I've been reading everything I can about Southwest's possible announcement and saw this today:
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2019/01/southwest-is-just-waiting-for-its-certification/

So basically there is no point to my post other than to vent my frustration haha

I am having a very hard time deciding what to do about flights to Hawaii. We are coming from the East Coast in July and I have already booked our flights to California. We will stay over then fly out to Oahu the next day. I wanted to wait for Southwest's entry into the market to see their prices (and free checked bags!) but with the govt shutdown and possibly shutting down again in a few weeks, I don't know if I should buy the flights on Hawaiian Airlines or wait for Southwest. I have flights on hold with Hawaiian (days and times I want plus nonstop from San Jose to Honolulu) but they are pricey and they charge for bags. We are locked into our dates (we are renting DVC points and I've already paid my friend) so I just don't know what to do. My hold for Hawaiian expires today (they were the lowest prices I had seen in a few months so hence the hold).

I follow Beat of Hawaii and their estimated timeline scares me a bit in terms of waiting.

I've been reading everything I can about Southwest's possible announcement and saw this today:
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2019/01/southwest-is-just-waiting-for-its-certification/

So basically there is no point to my post other than to vent my frustration haha
I have been waiting too... My trip is in Sept so I'm hoping for the best!

I have been waiting too... My trip is in Sept so I'm hoping for the best!
I’m seriously a mess over this. It’s so much money and I’ll be sick if I buy the Hawaiian tickets then SW comes out with like, $99 one way fares lol. But we need to go and we need to get there so I have a decision to make, most likely today.

I’m seriously a mess over this. It’s so much money and I’ll be sick if I buy the Hawaiian tickets then SW comes out with like, $99 one way fares lol. But we need to go and we need to get there so I have a decision to make, most likely today.
Hopefully they will be out by this summer!!!!

Latest news:

Thanks for the update. Also from what I could find, LAX isn't one of the major airports SW plans on flying out of....kind of puts a cog in the wheel of planning a Disneyland trip first :/ If anyone knows any different, I'd appreciate the update!

I am traveling to Aulani in May from PIT. This will be my 3rd trip, and my 3rd set of cities, lol. In May 2014 I flew from PIT to SNA ($203, stopping in Vegas) and spent 5 days at Disneyland. Then drove down to San Diego and took an Alaska Air flight to HNL (around $220). Return flight was HNL-LAS-CLT-PIT and cost $685 (Booked in March for May travel). A combo of Hawaiian and American.

In May 2017, I flew PIT-MDW-SFO using points, and stayed in an airport hotel that night. Next morning I flew Hawaiian SFO-HNL for $257 (booked on Jan 26). Return was booked through Expedia, HNL-PDX-ORD-PIT and cost $489 (booked in Feb). A combo of Hawaiian and United.

For this year's trip in May, I am not done booking flights yet. I did book PIT-LAX, non stop on Southwest for $167 and have 3 nights booked at Grand Cali with my points. I am torn between a flight out of Long Beach on Hawaiian for $239 at 8:30 AM or out of LAX for $237 at 7 AM. I again booked my return using Expedia (just this past weekend) and am psyched because there is only one stop this time - HNL-BOS-PIT. That combo was $423.

I was trying to hold out for Southwest releasing their HI routes, but didn't want to get stuck paying more money. And although American, Alaska or United looked a little cheaper at the outset, by the time I chose the options that would allow me to get seats in advance, the prices are so close to the Hawaiian flight I decided having the larger plane for such a long flight would be better. Not to mention I think their inflight service is a bit above the others.

Which airlines give free meals on flights to Hawaii? I just flew United from Chicago straight through to Honolulu and back and there was no free food. You could pay $10 (credit card only ) for a tiny pizza or a chicken sandwich, or $5+ for snack boxes. At the high cost of the tickets you'd think they could offer you free food on a nine hour flight...

I'm going to make a perdiction... Based on SW logo (heart) and slogan (love) I'm guessing a Valentine's Day Hawaii announcement from SW. I have 9 days at Aulani for this coming June :) I've got 2x companion passes for our family of 5... (Check out SW credit card deals 30k points and a companion pass if you spend 4k in 3 months).

Feb 5 was the first test, validation flight. There will be more over the next week or so.

The current credit card offer is a companion pass after a 4K minimum spend. Customers getting a free ticket might not care if the paid ticket isn't rock bottom. The fares might not be as cheap as some posters are hoping
Edited to add
A Valentine's Day announcement date makes sense for the reasons given by PP BUT SW isn't going to make announcement until the get FAA approval. If the get approval by Valentine's Day, it will be a day or 2 before. Under those circumstances they might wait the day.
More likely later in February

Last edited:
I booked our April trip back last summer, but we always use miles.

I wouldn't hold my breath on SW releasing fares too soon; it's process.

From the East Coast, I am only willing to do one stop (we could fly nonstop from Dulles, but it's a bit of a hike, and I don't fly United). We always use miles on either Delta or AA (where I'm a million miler). But once used AA and did Hawaiian code share first class, and it was atrocious. Now they have newer aircraft though (this was a Korea/Hawaii trip).

Average is $1,000 from here, or much of the midwest. I grew up in St. Louis, and miss that old TWA nonstop! Flew it several times, including solo with our 6 month old (oldest son) when we lived on Oahu, first class. Sad that there's no nonstop anymore from STL! For my friends living there that go annually to Oahu.

I tend to start looking at 11 months and book 9-10 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter