• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on CG near THE FORT

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
Our arrival at Ft W will be on Friday 22 Dec . Somehow I am seeing major travel problems due to a mad rush of people looking to get in and check in at their respective resorts. As a result we are considering spending the night of the 21st in the area . If anyone has a favorite please let me know the name. We don't need much just a place that is clean, well maintained, and is at the minimum pet friendly dog park is better but not mandatory

Well right outside of WDW on Hwy 192 in Kissimmee is Tropical Palms which was recently bought by the Encore conglomerate.

On the other/western end of Hwy 192 in Kissimmee is Lake Magic. It's also part of the Encore conglomerate.

Both of these are closest to the WDW entrance gate and will run you at least $70 plus tax/fees.

What direction do you come in from Mike? I95 or I75? That will give folks an idea of what to suggest a little bit further out.

Bama ED

Ed sorry I didn't say which route we will be taking. Will be coming down 95 from Jacksonville. We will spend 2 nights at Flamingo Lake up there we could do a 3rd Because we arrive 3 days before Christmas I figure getting thru Orlando and to the reception outpost will be akin to a parking lot. Hence I figure some place within 45 min of the Main gate would be a lot easier on everyone than the 4hr trip from up there. So really any place near Disney is good as long as DW approves of it. So CGs just outside of property that are clean maintained and pet friendly I am open to doing some investigative work

Not that I have ever checked in during the "Christmas" week, but why do you think it will be like a parking lot?

Are you going to be checking in early in the day or later on. Whenever we have gone (save the very first time) we check in EARLY (between 6 - 8 AM) and it has not been bad. We usually have to go INSIDE as they are not out in the booths yet. That's okay by me too because I prefer to go inside personally.

The First time (ever) we went to the Fort, we went to Sea World FIRST for the day. We ended up parking where the buses go (which wasn't bad), when we got to the Fort (around 730 PM), the lines were not bad then either. What was worse was trying to park in the dark. Particularly since folks had their cars parked in places that they shouldn't have had them parked. Anyway, we vowed that we did NOT want to have to park in the dark like that again. We would if it was the only choice, but if we have control, we won't.

Thousand Trails in Clermont. It has a dog park. Traffic is rough at that time on 192. I'd leave real early for The Fort. Been there, done that.

We have stayed at Lake Louisa a couple of times, most recently in March. Its on the opposite side of WDW from your route but the price is right and the park is nice. The bathrooms at LL were as clean as Fort Wilderness this last trip.

Not that I have ever checked in during the "Christmas" week, but why do you think it will be like a parking lot?

Are you going to be checking in early in the day or later on. Whenever we have gone (save the very first time) we check in EARLY (between 6 - 8 AM) and it has not been bad. We usually have to go INSIDE as they are not out in the booths yet. That's okay by me too because I prefer to go inside personally.

The First time (ever) we went to the Fort, we went to Sea World FIRST for the day. We ended up parking where the buses go (which wasn't bad), when we got to the Fort (around 730 PM), the lines were not bad then either. What was worse was trying to park in the dark. Particularly since folks had their cars parked in places that they shouldn't have had them parked. Anyway, we vowed that we did NOT want to have to park in the dark like that again. We would if it was the only choice, but if we have control, we won't.
Paul our check in date is a Friday 3 days before Christmas Look at your Younger DD school schedual and I think you might see my concerns. My DW said while traffic got heavy there on our last several trips it still moved that was until I pointed out those tips were in A Sept. , B the week BEFORE Thanksgiving, and C the week AFTER New Years. Google says it is a 3 hr trip from Flamingo Lake but I am planning on 1 fuel stop with a dog walk and one more stop to walk the girls so 4.5 to 5 hours is more likely realistic. I really don't want to get up at 0430 to prepare to leave.

Thousand Trails in Clermont. It has a dog park. Traffic is rough at that time on 192. I'd leave real early for The Fort. Been there, done that.
Knew someone here would have done this We will definitely Check it out it out. Thanks Denise

We have stayed at Lake Louisa a couple of times, most recently in March. Its on the opposite side of WDW from your route but the price is right and the park is nice. The bathrooms at LL were as clean as Fort Wilderness this last trip.
Seriously looked at this one till wife saw the Al E Gator clan hangs out there and put her foot down
How close is the KOA to WDW? I see one listed.
We have found a few but so far DW is leery as some of the reviews have her picturing Santee Lakes CG which had a good rating on Good Sam but ended up being what she calls PREPPERVILLE poorly marked roads, sand site on a 10 degree uphill slope , comfort station laundry room that looked like an abandoned shack you get the picture

The KOA is not bad and not far we usually do either Flamingo in Jacksonville or we stay in St. Augustine also not a far drive. Have done at Christmas time and was not any more traffic than normal

The KOA is not bad and not far we usually do either Flamingo in Jacksonville or we stay in St. Augustine also not a far drive. Have done at Christmas time and was not any more traffic than normal
We like Flamingo Lake as well. We are planning on the previous 2 nights there just to let everyone hang loose for a few days. If I don't find some place that meets the wifes expectations we'll do 3 nights here. Under any other time I wouldn't mind the trip from there to THE FORT but just have this gut feeling everybody is going to try to get in for the Holiday it could be a lot longer than the 4 hous it took me the last time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter