• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on "newer" things at DL/DCA

bouds

Mouseketeer
I'm heading to the parks week after next and am looking for advice on a few of the newer activities/rules since about mid-2015. For example, Jedi training is different now, with sign ups. The Frozen show has replaced Aladdin. I hear security is different. The official app. Anything else I'm forgetting? I did a one day quick trip last year, so went on Soaring over the World, and Hyperspace Mountain. I know ToT is closed :( and I know about the closures for Star Wars land

How early should I arrive at the theater for Frozen and do they do FastPasses? I read about it when it first opened, but I'm assuming it's less crazy now. How long is the wait usually for Jedi training sign ups, and do I have to get in line immediately upon entering the park? We are staying onsite, can someone explain exactly how the security checks are set up now? Does the app still work well, anything new with it? I loved it the last time I went. Anything new with Fast Passes? I've read up a bit on the MSEP, so I think I'm pretty good there, but any secret tips for finding the best spot with the least waiting is always welcome :) Is anything going on at the theater that used to have the Muppet and Frozen shows?

A couple of other things I'm considering doing for the first time: Frozen Boutique, Blue Bayou. Any advice on getting the best experience at these?

Thanks in advance.

No more FPs for Frozen. Arriving about an hour early should get you in with a decent seat; earlier if you want orchestra. We got there about 45 minutes early and got the mezzanine, and it was fine. They delayed the start of our showing due to technical difficulties, and had to stop it for about ten minutes right before the rock troll scene due to more, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I don't know much about Jedi Training as I've never done it, but I think if it's super important to do it you should make sure to go as soon as you can. You do need to have the kid(s) with you when you sign up. Signups happen outside of the Launch Bay (Innoventions). When we there there they were still doing it later in the morning on the slow days, but the stand disappeared fairly quickly on Thursday and Friday, which were the busiest days when I was there.

Security checks will depend on which hotel you're staying at. DLH and GC both have security right outside their entrances to Downtown Disney; PP guests can't cut through the GC any more on their way to the parks and have to go through security by Earl of Sandwich. All of DtD is now secure, though, which is nice if you want to go there for a meal or shopping; you don't have to go through security again at the esplanade.

The app works great! I'd go ahead and download it now and see if there's anything new since you last used it. I think the biggest change recently has been being able to buy/use the weeklong PhotoPass+ from the app.

They've announced a new MaxPass (electronic FP for a $10/person/day fee), but it hasn't been implemented yet, and details are sparse. Also announced adding TSMM and Matterhorn as FP attractions, but neither have gone online yet.

My family saw MSEP just outside the restrooms behind Alice in Wonderland. Arrived about an hour early and there was still space, there was easy bathroom access, and everyone stayed seated the whole time, so it worked out great. There was only one parade that night (limited hours), but if there's two while you're there, it's always easier to get good spots for the second parade.

The old Muppet theater is currently showing an extended 3D preview of Beauty and the Beast. It was fun seeing it when I was there in Feb, but now that the movie is out it might not be as fun. Still, they had some of the props and costumes in the lobby that were cool to see.

We took my three nieces to Anna & Elsa's Boutique and it was great. We liked the hairstyles there better than at BBB, and the price was much better. Two of them got the Elsa and one got the Anna. The one who did Anna has fairly short hair (not quite shoulder length) but the stylist did a great job adapting the style to make it work. The hair stayed in for two days, and with all the swag they give you (the tiara, color streaks, makeup, nail polish, brush, comb, makeup removing towelette, shampoo, and lots of extra bobby and hair pins), we felt like it was a really good value. Our reservations were on a Wednesday afternoon and it was pretty dead, so they weren't rushed.

I generally prefer Café Orleans to Blue Bayou these days, as it's cheaper and I love the French onion soup and pomme frites, but Blue Bayou is certainly something you should do once in your life, as the ambiance can't be beat. If you want a water table and/or want to try the Monte Cristo, I'd try to get an 11:30 AM reservation (first one of the day) and get there about 11 to check in. Mention you want water seating when you check in. The Monte Cristo isn't available at dinner.

I haven't been there since 2015 and can't wait to go back and ride Luigi's Flying Tires!

I haven't been there since 2015 and can't wait to go back and ride Luigi's Flying Tires!

Luigi's Flying Tires is no longer in existence, sadly. It closed in February 2015. A new ride, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, opened in its place in March 2016. The new ride has cars that dance. It's pretty fun.

Does anyone know if the parks are putting in wifi to go with the new FP systems?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter