Advice on Resale Add On

thebigman65

DIS Veteran
Hello All,

Been a DVC (direct) member since 2009. DW and I are thinking of adding approx 150 to 200 point resale. I want them to be the same use year (Feb). But not sure how everyone management reservations.

For example. We currently own 320 points at AKV. We are looking at OKW for the add on (150 to 200 points). So I know we can book at either resort at 11 months provided the points are there, so if I want to book a grand villa at OKW, I could not, but can I book a 1 bedroom at 11 months and be successful getting the GV at 7 months once my AKV point become available to book there?

I am just looking for the pros and cons of adding on at a different resort.

Thanks!

The biggest con is pretty obvious: You can't combine points from 2 resorts at 11 months. You'll have to book at 11 months and then hope you'll be able to trade up or switch at 7 months. Depending upon when you are trying to book and what you're trying to book, this could be a recipe for frustration or disappointment.

The biggest benefits are:
1. You can get a resort with a cheaper buy in and maintenance cost.
2. You can book alternate year stays (year 1 at AK, year 2 at OKW) using banking. Generally, though, people who do this often don't have huge blocks of points. For example, if you wanted to book a 2BR at AKV for 320 points, and a 2BR at OKW was 280, you'd have half of those points at each (160 AKV, 140 OKW).

Many people have multiple resorts in their portfolio and make it work. Personally, for me, I find it to be too much risk that I couldn't upgrade or switch, so I've bought the points I needed at one resort.

If you plan ahead, and bank/borrow with 150-200 point contract you can have as much as 450-600 OKW points to book the GV.

How hard is it to book OKW? Wouldn't it be better to own at a resort that is difficult to book for the 11 month advantage?

:earsboy: Bill

How hard is it to book OKW? Wouldn't it be better to own at a resort that is difficult to book for the 11 month advantage?

Its a good point....DW likes OKW and the resale costs and points cost for rooms are good....so we are just thinking best bang for the buck....the bank and borrow option is a good idea as well!

Its a good point....DW likes OKW and the resale costs and points cost for rooms are good....so we are just thinking best bang for the buck....the bank and borrow option is a good idea as well!

If you want a GV at OKW, you will need the 11 month window for most times of the year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-villa-availability-at-all-resorts.3564854/#post-56842206

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter