Advices about purchasing 1st DVC contrat

Jonathan98

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

We are a french couple, we really like to come to Disneyworld. Similarly, we like to visit Unviersal Studios, Discovery Cove, Disney Spring and two Disney water parks.

We are thinking about taking points on the DVC site.

Indeed, we come about every 2 years.

Like many of you, we are really interested in the "Reflections" project.

So I would like to know your opinion if it is interesting to take 100 points to use them every 2 years?

Besides, we would like to know if it is possible to put the contract in two names (me and my wife)?

Thank you so much for your answers.

Jonathan

Yes, you can have up to 6 people on the deed when buying. So you and your wife can be owners,

Many people do as you suggest and buy points to stay every other year. if staying at Reflections is important to you down the road, then buying direct is the way you will want to do since buying resale takes that off the table.

Right now, both RiV and AUL are in active sales so those would be the resort Disney will push, However, if you are interested in any other DVC resort at WDW, you can push them to sell you it, if they have points to do it. But, some of those resorts will be more...a few less.

Good luck!

Hello, thank you for tour answer, is it possible to buy the contract by internet of is it an obligation to be on Orlando ?

You will have plenty of time to do research before Reflections is for sale.
DVC can be a great way to do Disney.

Through banking and borrowing you could make every two years work with a smaller amount of points, but there are some risks.

Let's say you will need 180 points for your desired vacation in the time of year you are most likely to travel. So you buy 200 points. (This is because it is good to have a cushion if 1) you need to stay an extra day, 2) if you need to switch your plans to a larger unit but with fewer days, 3) if all that is available is a more expensive view, etc. )

So you buy your 100 points in 2020. (To make this simpler, I will leave out the subject of Use Year, but you should read up on it before buying at Reflections or anywhere else). So you can bank your 100 points into 2021. In 2021, you have 200 points available to use for your vacation. Lets say you need 180. so you use the 100 banked points and 80 of your 2021 points. So you have 20 points left over that you can bank into 2022. But wait, you are not going to go again until 2023, so you will lose those 20 points. Not good! Let's start over.

OK, starting over! You buy 100 points in 2020. You schedule a vacation in 2020 by borrowing 80 points from 2021. The vacation takes 180 points. So you have 20 points remaining in 2021. You bank these into 2022.

In 2022, you plan a 180 point vacation. You use your 20 points banked from 2021. You use your 100 points from 2022. And your borrow 60 points from 2023. And then you bank the remaining 40 points into 2024.

Ok you start to see that you really have to stay on top of your points so you don't lose any.

The other risk is that you have to cancel your vacation. You can always reschedule the vacation for later in the same year. You could bank any current year points into the following year and come then. But you would risk losing any points that you have banked or borrowed if you cannot reschedule. If you had to cancel your 2020 vacation, and could not reschedule later in 2020, you could lose your 180 points, You might be able to rent them out and recoup some money.

If you had to cancel your 2022 vacation and could not reschedule, you could lose the 20 points banked from 2021 and the 60 points borrowed from 2023. But you could bank the 100 2022 points into 2023.

So if you are in firm control of your vacation time, and have low risk of having to cancel, the every two years approach can work - and many people use it.

By the way, you can see how going every three years would be even more of a risk.

Good luck in your decision.

Hello, thank you for tour answer, is it possible to buy the contract by internet of is it an obligation to be on Orlando ?

You can’t buy over the internet from Disney, but depending on where you live, you can buy over the phone. The rules are different depending on state and or country you reside. A call to Disney would let you know

I bought my first 5 contracts direct from Disney, without ever taking a DVC tour or ever talking to a DVC 'salesman' before. I just decided, after thinking about it for a while, to go ahead and buy, so I called them and talked to their salesperson.

We did everything over the phone. And then they sent me paperwork in the mail. Then I went down to a local bank to sign it and have it notarized and I mailed it all back with my down payment check.

Of course, I live in the United States and I have no idea how they will handle it with France, but I have to assume that they have some process in place, to be able to sell to people who live in France.

Just Call the Disney Member Services line and ask them, at 800-800-9800

You might be able to wait about 2 years and 'pre-purchase' Reflections, once they start construction on it. Or, you can buy Riviera directly from Disney now. Or, as some other people have said, you can ask, and PUSH, to buy a contract at one of the other resorts, but to do that, Disney generally puts you on a waiting list and waits for someone to sell that property on the Resale market. Then they take that (buy it from the owner at the agreed upon price) using their Right of First Refusal, and then they turn around and sell it to you. Most of those 'sold out' properties are currently being sold by them at a higher price than Riviera. Buying Riviera might be a good deal. But you could also get Old Key West in an extended contract (to expire in 2057?) for a bit less than Riviera, but it expires in only 37 years instead of 49 years, like Riviera.

For some international buyers, they cannot sell unless you are on site. I do not know if France is one of these locations.

For some international buyers, they cannot sell unless you are on site. I do not know if France is one of these locations.

Not always the case. I live in Canada (Ontario), and I purchased over the phone. Here it is restricted by province, not by country.

Not always the case. I live in Canada (Ontario), and I purchased over the phone. Here it is restricted by province, not by country.
He stated “some international”. I skip over word a lot when I read too, or I just forget they were there. Oh well.

Yes, and as you say: it varies by province. Even in the us it can vary by state and resort. Why is it a bad thing I have disclosed that potential issue buying remotely?

I didn’t say there was a problem , I was just replying to someone’s comment implying Canada was not international.:rolleyes1

Hello everyone,

We are a french couple, we really like to come to Disneyworld. Similarly, we like to visit Unviersal Studios, Discovery Cove, Disney Spring and two Disney water parks.

So I would like to know your opinion if it is interesting to take 100 points to use them every 2 years?

Besides, we would like to know if it is possible to put the contract in two names (me and my wife)?

Jonathan
Yes, you can have up to 6 people on the deed when buying. So you and your wife can be owners,

Many people do as you suggest and buy points to stay every other year. if staying at Reflections is important to you down the road, then buying direct is the way you will want to do since buying resale takes that off the table.

Right now, both RiV and AUL are in active sales so those would be the resort Disney will push, However, if you are interested in any other DVC resort at WDW, you can push them to sell you it, if they have points to do it. But, some of those resorts will be more...a few less.

Good luck!
Hello everyone,

Jonathan

My advice would be make sure you buy enough points to cover your traveling party with the room type you want to stay in. Studios can be hard to come by so I would suggest to calculate your points based on what a one bedroom would be every two years or if you would need a bigger room base you points based on that.

I made my first direct purchase calling over the phone a few years ago. They tried to sell me a newer resort but at the time my heart was set on OKW so I told them that and was lucky they called me back the same day with the points and I became a DVC owner. Since then I have purchased resale, but never regret buying direct. My regret is not buying sooner :)

Hello,
I have a question more technical...
About money, is it really benefit ?
I explain, if we stay at the art of anumation (ariel's room) for 2 weeks; the price is 3200 $ with park tickets.
If we buy 100 pts Disney Vacation Club on Riviera, it's 19500 $ (780 $ annual dues)
However, with DVC we have to buy 2 annual passport for 15 days...

So, if you have exemple for saving money, i take it !

Thanks you for your answer.

Hello,
I explain, if we stay at the art of anumation (ariel's room) for 2 weeks; the price is 3200 $ with park tickets.
If we buy 100 pts Disney Vacation Club on Riviera, it's 19500 $ (780 $ annual dues)

DVC can save money if you usually stay in Disney Deluxe hotel. It won't save money when compared to value resorts or offsite stays, but it would represent a considerable accommodation upgrade.

Hello,

The Art of Animation vs a Disney DVC deluxe aren't comparable. DVC is supposed to be the better lodging and is supposed to help you save money on lodging over a long time period. I would say staying/renting at the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge vs buying DVC is what you should use for comparison.

Hello,

If you are happy with staying at AOA, then, no, DVC won’t save you any money...you’d spend more.

If you are looking to expand your stays to other, more expensive resorts, then you need to consider whether DVC would make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter