After a day in AK... Tusker house or Boma?

xXMyTwoPrincessesXx

Mouseketeer
What do you think? For a first timer, which restaurant is best after a day in AK?

If neither, then which one? Just looking for opinions :D

Depends if you're relying on Disney transportation or driving. If Disney buses, Tusker House, if driving then Boma.

AK has a lot of walking (trails and just getting around) so if you're planning on spending a full day there I think you may end up tired. For that reason alone, I'd say Tusker House. At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is take a bus to a restaurant and then take a bus back to a park and then transfer buses to go back to my resort. Both restaurants are good (although my last time at Boma was iffy) so you won't go wrong either way but I'd stick with the convenience factor.

What do you think? For a first timer, which restaurant is best after a day in AK?

I agree that your decision may partially depend on your mode of transportation, but I strongly recommend Boma. It's the only buffet I genuinely enjoy, and I consider it one of Disney's best restaurants. Compared to every other buffet, which genuinely offers fairly basic and poorly prepared food, Boma has variety and flair. The soup bar is unreal, as are the appetizers and salads. I can make an entire meal at Boma without even touching the entrees!

As for Tusker House, it's decent, particularly for breakfast. But there's a reason why a lot of people consider it "Boma-light." It just comes off as a worse version of a restaurant located a short drive away.

BOMA...hands down. The smells are amazing. Worth taking a Disney shuttle -- you can wander around the AKL before and after your meal. Beautiful resort.

Boma has both African and American fare -- perfect for all tastes. Not to mention the Boma Buffet is worth the price for the ZEBRA DOMES alone. Yummy!

Between those two, I'd pick Boma.
However, after a full day at AK, I'm more likely to want a shower and a swim than anything else...

I think they are both really good- if it were lunch, I'd say Tusker- since it's right in the park, but if you are leaving anyway, I'd go for Boma- the food is a little bit better and you really shouldn't miss the atmosphere at AK lodge- that in itself is worth the extra transit issues.

Even with the transportation time, I think I'd do Boma instead of Tusker House. While I've never done either, Boma just seems to have an overwhelming majority of satisfied diners and I think the food alone would be a nice complement to your AK experience and get you out of the parks.

Personally speaking, I'd do Tusker House for Breakfast, and then take the earliest ADR at Boma (4:30 or 5:00) so that you can eat and still get back to your resort at a reasonable time.

And really, in terms of transportation time, you can take any bus destined for a park from AKL and then switch to your resort bus from there...so you're wait for the first bus ought to be relatively short.

Though a few years ago, we did Boma after a day at AK. We loved it! One thing that surprised me was how long it took to get there. It may have been 'just one of those days', b/c in general we don't have issues with busses. But we left AK about 4 and went to the AKL busstop. We waited for about 45 minutes!! We were actually a few minutes late to our 5:00 ADR at Boma. So just allow yourself plenty of time. If you get there early, you can look around the beautiful AKL!!

Even with the transportation time, I think I'd do Boma instead of Tusker House. While I've never done either, Boma just seems to have an overwhelming majority of satisfied diners and I think the food alone would be a nice complement to your AK experience and get you out of the parks.

Personally speaking, I'd do Tusker House for Breakfast, and then take the earliest ADR at Boma (4:30 or 5:00) so that you can eat and still get back to your resort at a reasonable time.

And really, in terms of transportation time, you can take any bus destined for a park from AKL and then switch to your resort bus from there...so you're wait for the first bus ought to be relatively short.

This is what I was going to suggest, since that is what I want to do on our next trip on our AK day! I had Boma booked last trip, but at 3pm on arrival back to our hotel, and a rain storm on the way, the kids vetoed a trip to AKL for dinner in favor of POP food court and the arcade.:headache:

So I'd do Tusker House breakfast (one of our new favorites!), AK that day, then Boma for dinner.:thumbsup2 That way you get both restaurants. If you don't want to deal with buses after dinner, then get a cab back to your resort.

I would not choose Boma. We ate there on our AK day (because of rave reviews) and we did not like it.
All the dishes are very sweet in nature. The spices used are sweet not hot, so stuff like cinnamon, vanilla, fruit flavors are in everything, including the meats rubbed with them.
The soups, side dishes...by the time we got to dessert we didn't want it because the sweetness was overwhelming.
We tried every dish on the buffet trying to find something we would enjoy and nothing. Ended up eating CS about 2 hours later because we were hungry.

I haven't eaten at Tusker House, don't know if I would try it after our experience at Boma.

So on our AK day we always choose a resort restaurant. Usually heading to a monorail resort as AK closes early you don't miss park time and can travel across property to dinner and it doesn't mess with your day.

Have a good trip!!

Agree with Nadjalu...we really did not like Boma dinner buffet at all. Majority of items were either completely over-the-top spicey or completely bland-tasteless...no happy medium! Overwhelming use of cinnamon in meat and vegetable dishes (ribs that looked like they were drenched in delish BBQ sauce...but tasted like cinnamon-red-hot candy was used to make the sauce.EWWW.) The few items that were not overly spiced were mobbed at the buffet (10 min. wait to get plain roast beef, for example.) And we were there for an early seating.

We thoroughly enjoyed Tusker House...there are a fair number of interesting/different dishes on that buffet, as well as many typical American buffet items. We thought it was a better balance of exotic & American dishes, to allow a sampling of flavors without burning your mouth with red-hot-cinnamon like Boma foods did. You could get one of the late-day seatings, then catch the bus directly back to your resort without having to do multiple transfers. Much more relaxing way to end your day, IMO

The transportation issue going to AK Lodge for a meal would not be worth it to me...you'll have to take the AK Lodge bus from AK to AK Lodge. Then after dinner, you'll have to take a bus to a park...then get off the bus & go line up for your resort. It could take you 60-90 minutes to get back to your resort, depending on your timing & luck with busses. Afer a long day at Animal Kingdom, that's not the way I would want to spend my evening.

I have always liked Boma, but I definitely think Tusker House lunch is very good. I just tried it on my last trip and would recommend it to anyone. It has a wide variety.

You guys are killing me!! Now that I decided Boma, I come back and find people saying Tusker house :rotfl:

I like the cab from Boma back to resort.. we will NOT have the energy to take a couple of buses back!!!

Is the food really all that sweet and fuity!! Uggh, that would not go so well for me or DH! DD would love it, though :cutie:

This is what I was going to suggest, since that is what I want to do on our next trip on our AK day! I had Boma booked last trip, but at 3pm on arrival back to our hotel, and a rain storm on the way, the kids vetoed a trip to AKL for dinner in favor of POP food court and the arcade.:headache:

So I'd do Tusker House breakfast (one of our new favorites!), AK that day, then Boma for dinner.:thumbsup2 That way you get both restaurants. If you don't want to deal with buses after dinner, then get a cab back to your resort.

Ohh I would love to do a Tusker house breakfast!! (I try to get ressies everyday!), but I can't find any reservations!!

Ohh I would love to do a Tusker house breakfast!! (I try to get ressies everyday!), but I can't find any reservations!!

We tried this breakfast for the first time on our trip a few months ago and my whole family agreed that it is now one of our must do's.:thumbsup2 Character meal not withstanding, this was one of our favorite meals, foodwise, from our last trip. Everyone found something they liked, the buffett had lots of different breakfast foods(not just scrambled eggs), and the juice was heavenly.:cloud9: The only character meal that we like better is an early ADR at CP.

I hope you score an ADR.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter