After exiting our boat on Pirates, I always...

george is the ghost of a welder who supposedly died during the construction of the ride. supposedly if they don't wish george good morning and good night something in the ride will malfunction. another rumor is if u say i dn't believe in george during the burning scene the ride will stop and break down. it's a funny little suprestion that i like to take part of!

Found this on http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/MagicKingdom/Secrets/AL/Pirates.html

"I work at Disney World right now, and I operate Pirates of the Caribbean. George was a worker on the ride when it was built. He was involved in construction mainly. He was also close friends with Walt and Roy and had a close history with them. Two of the pirates have his face. In the Burning City scene, on the right hand side, there is a tower with one window. This is the tallest onstage point throughout the ride. This is George's Tower. He was up there to survey the Burning City (which was his favorite scene), and in coming down the ladder, he lost his balance and fell. The fall is the equivalent of four and a half stories. That is how he died. For any cast member to climb the ladder is an automatic termination because of the danger. We do not say hello or goodmorning to George in the morning, we say goodnight to him after we close. On mornings which the night before was missing his goodnight salutations, no more than 3 full cycles of boats have been completed before an E-stop, or and Automatic Power Disconnect. He is real, he isn't mean or haunting, but he can be mischevious. When walkin backstage by yourself, the plastic boards you walk on, you can feel someone walking behind you. If you're running he runs. It's not all the time, but it does happen. Not all E-stops and APDs are George though. The ride is quite tempermental herself. She has been operating since Dec 15, 1973 so she's old, which is why now, the ride is going under renovation until July. Another thing about George. He has a door that can be seen from the Unload station. If it is open you can see flames from behind the jail scene, and having George's door open will stop the ride. No one is ever back there, not even Maint. or MGNT. and yet the door sometimes get's opened. The ride has never even survived one full cycle of boats when George's door is open. He really doesn't care about guest going through the ride saying/thinking "George isn't real" he only cares about the cast members, cause we're the ones he is trusting to run the ride. So think it all you want. George isn't going to APD for you."

On our last trip to WDW I told my Dad about George while riding Pirates. I said that I heard if you say "George isn't real" three times then the ride will often break down. He then, of course, had to say it. Our ride then ended up breaking down. After an hour of sitting in our boats (just across from the jail scene), the music turned off, the lights turned on and cast members came out in chest high waders to assist us out of the boats. It was pretty crazy, but being complete Disney Nuts, we were excited to do something different. lol I don't know that any of us will be saying that George isn't real any time soon, though. ;)

I am curious what happened to the Davy Jones guy? I thought he was somewhere on the ride but last week we didn't see him?

Our last trip was 4 years ago and we got to ride PotC the last day before they closed for the rehab. I do like the Jack Sparrows in the ride now.

Found this on http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/MagicKingdom/Secrets/AL/Pirates.html

"I work at Disney World right now, and I operate Pirates of the Caribbean. George was a worker on the ride when it was built. He was involved in construction mainly. He was also close friends with Walt and Roy and had a close history with them. Two of the pirates have his face. In the Burning City scene, on the right hand side, there is a tower with one window. This is the tallest onstage point throughout the ride. This is George's Tower. He was up there to survey the Burning City (which was his favorite scene), and in coming down the ladder, he lost his balance and fell. The fall is the equivalent of four and a half stories. That is how he died. For any cast member to climb the ladder is an automatic termination because of the danger. We do not say hello or goodmorning to George in the morning, we say goodnight to him after we close. On mornings which the night before was missing his goodnight salutations, no more than 3 full cycles of boats have been completed before an E-stop, or and Automatic Power Disconnect. He is real, he isn't mean or haunting, but he can be mischevious. When walkin backstage by yourself, the plastic boards you walk on, you can feel someone walking behind you. If you're running he runs. It's not all the time, but it does happen. Not all E-stops and APDs are George though. The ride is quite tempermental herself. She has been operating since Dec 15, 1973 so she's old, which is why now, the ride is going under renovation until July. Another thing about George. He has a door that can be seen from the Unload station. If it is open you can see flames from behind the jail scene, and having George's door open will stop the ride. No one is ever back there, not even Maint. or MGNT. and yet the door sometimes get's opened. The ride has never even survived one full cycle of boats when George's door is open. He really doesn't care about guest going through the ride saying/thinking "George isn't real" he only cares about the cast members, cause we're the ones he is trusting to run the ride. So think it all you want. George isn't going to APD for you."

Never heard this story! Very interesting, things to watch for next time. I am so bummer it will be closed, it is one of my favorites. Glag they are fixing it and keeping it, though.pirate:

I am curious what happened to the Davy Jones guy? I thought he was somewhere on the ride but last week we didn't see him?

Our last trip was 4 years ago and we got to ride PotC the last day before they closed for the rehab. I do like the Jack Sparrows in the ride now.

We were told he was out for a rum run. LOL

I'm guessing the quoted article was written before the POTC refurb; I don't think its going to rehab in the near future.

My friend was a CM there in 1997..she told me the story and always said, "Goodnight George." I don't know how she worked there...I would be scared! :) I was ok with turning off the animator's lights in the studios...I didn't envy her closing her attraction!

as much as i looooove this ride, i would hate to have to close Haunted mansion. between the lighting, music, atmosphere... being alone would be hard, i also heard that that ride is also indeed haunted ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter