After Hours Events - Ask Questions and Share Experiences Here

I did DHS AH once, several years ago before Galaxy's Edge opened. I recall everything operating more or less normally, including the snack/water situation which was excellent. Today the event sounds more like a crapshoot that depends on whether the super-headliners decide to keep working or not. I am thinking of doing this again in June, but it's a tough call given Disney's current approach to ride maintenance.

On a side note: are they going to stick with the unofficial 7:00pm start time for AH? I had been wondering whether this also might be going away in the relentless pursuit of cost-cutting.
The 7pm time is listed on the website. What do you mean by “unofficial?”

The 7pm time is listed on the website. What do you mean by “unofficial?”
7:00pm is described as "a few hours before the event officially begins" and "a head start on the fun." As I review the confirmation from the 2018 AH that I attended at DHS, I see they were doing the 7:00 back then so I suppose it is unlikely they will get rid of the early check-in. It just sounds like it's been worded so they could do it if they wanted.

7:00pm is described as "a few hours before the event officially begins" and "a head start on the fun." As I review the confirmation from the 2018 AH that I attended at DHS, I see they were doing the 7:00 back then so I suppose it is unlikely they will get rid of the early check-in. It just sounds like it's been worded so they could do it if they wanted.

They can change anything anytime, but I think it's unlikely this would. The park is already open at that time, so I see no reason for a change.

In the past, DVC members could enter at 4pm to the evening parties as a perk. Not sure how long ago that ended as we typically didn’t take advantage

Bought tickets for the wrong HS after hours night and now the night we will actually be there is sold out. Has anyone had luck with tickets opening back up and being able to get them for a sold out event?

So does everyone plan to eat dinner before going? I am debating on if I should just get a reservation at hollywood studios at like 7:15pm or eat at a resort at like 5 lol

So does everyone plan to eat dinner before going? I am debating on if I should just get a reservation at hollywood studios at like 7:15pm or eat at a resort at like 5 lol
Eating at a resort is better. We usually book Ohana around 4:30 pm (usually takes 1.5 hour; in park restaurants take closer to 2 hrs and are usually backlogged around 6 pm) and then head over to Mk for MNSSHP. We’ve had to wait 45 mins to be seated at BOG when we made the mistake of booking at 6 pm. Now if it’s Hollywood and Vine it might be ok; but Roundup Rodeo might take longer.

I’m assuming you have a day ticket.

We are not doing a day at DHS other than the after hours party. The Sci-Fi dine-in is a must for us, so we're going to try to get reservations around 7:15. But, we'll probably not snack much -- my son is not into popcorn and we'll probably just have one ice cream each. We're about the rides that night. The next night, we're doing the EPCOT night but we also have day tickets we're using that day, so plan on eating a big lunch, doing the booths for Garden Festival for dinner, and again, maybe have one ice cream bar. I think it depends on what restaurant you want to do...

Eating at a resort is better. We usually book Ohana around 4:30 pm (usually takes 1.5 hour; in park restaurants take closer to 2 hrs and are usually backlogged around 6 pm) and then head over to Mk for MNSSHP. We’ve had to wait 45 mins to be seated at BOG when we made the mistake of booking at 6 pm. Now if it’s Hollywood and Vine it might be ok; but Roundup Rodeo might take longer.

I’m assuming you have a day ticket.

No day ticket. Was just going to get a dining reservation for around 7:15pm. I don't plan on doing much before the actual after hours event begins. Maybe fantasmic

I will probably end up getting something at the resort instead though

We are not doing a day at DHS other than the after hours party. The Sci-Fi dine-in is a must for us, so we're going to try to get reservations around 7:15. But, we'll probably not snack much -- my son is not into popcorn and we'll probably just have one ice cream each. We're about the rides that night. The next night, we're doing the EPCOT night but we also have day tickets we're using that day, so plan on eating a big lunch, doing the booths for Garden Festival for dinner, and again, maybe have one ice cream bar. I think it depends on what restaurant you want to do...
It takes a while to navigate crowds so I would try to be at the front of the AH line. I remember our mobile check in option didn’t turn green until we were very close to the restaurant. Also budget 1.5 hours for Sci fi (worth it if that’s the only day you can do it). If you’re a party of 2 or 4 you most likely will be seated with another party. Also the wait after check in is usually 15-30 mins. We love their burgers and shakes (pasta has bad reviews). We liked our forward facing car seating better.

Last edited:
Ride times are not what are posted during after hours. I never waited more than 10-12 mins. Most were walk on as the night went on, including rise. Slinky is usually the only one with a little wait but nothing crazy.

Never had a bad experience at one.

Thank you for sharing that. We already have tickets for May AH at HS. I was going to take a look at times tonight to see how it looked to help gauge how it might go that week. I'm trying to compare a pretty busy Spring Break week to a busy memorial week..

We had the absolute best time last night at the AH and feel it was an excellent value for what we wanted and what we got out of it.

Party of five, two adults, three kids (14, 12 and 8.) My girls are the teens and my son is the youngest.

We wanted to ride the rides with little waiting and wanted time to just hang out and enjoy Star Wars with low crowds and less busyness. We feel last night checked all of our boxes.

I think we had a successful night because it rained most of the day and by the time HS closed, waits were already pretty low it felt most of the daytime crowds were gone before it started.

Biggest praise - they were checking bands everywhere we went.

Biggest complaint - wish they held the snack carts open at least five minutes after the event closed.

Biggest surprise - no wait times on the app from 9:30-10:00 so it made it hard to get an idea of what was still happening.

Here’s how our evening went - grabbed an afternoon boarding group to Guardians. Got in the queue at 7:50 and the ride went down. They closed the ride for the night about 8:20 and gave us two free LL. We walked back to Remy and used it there then caught the skyliner to HS.

9:21 for our wristbands and tapped into the park.
Ate dinner at Woody’s - lots of wristband checks happening
10:05 MMRR (posted 15) (pre show)
off at 10:22
10:26 star tours 5 min (the 8 year old really wanted to do this)
Off at 10:38
Snacks. No line.
10:45 Rise (15)
Off at 11:15
11:26 Smugglers Run (posted 10)
Off at11:45

**we took a big break to get light saber pictures done. At this point, Chewy was out for pictures. He saw my middle daughter who was disneybounding as Darth Vader and had a five minute interaction with her. He got on to her, then had her stand still while he went and got Rey. Then the three of them had a big conversation about her poor life choices. It was absolutely amazing and worth every penny just for that!**

Grabbed more snacks, watched the Green Men drummers.

12:30 slinky (posted 20)
Off 12:47
Right back on at 12:47 (posted 15)
Off at 12:58

We could have ridden one more time but opted to grab waters instead and head on out.

We had done TT earlier in our vacation so we didn’t feel the need to ride again but saw it posted about 10-15 the whole night.

We did six rides, got three snack breaks, had a fabulous character interaction and really enjoyed the cooler weather.

All in all, we thought it was a great choice for our family and a great last day of our trip. I do see though how it can go less well for other people’s experiences though, so if you’re still considering it, just know things that make it a good night may be out of your control.

Hi! I really wanted to see the Army drummers too. Is there any chance that was listed in the app during AH, or did you just stumble upon them by chance?

We will have day tickets and plan to go into HS prior to 7 pm. It'll be my husband's first time but he is not a theme park crowd person. But, I really wanted to go see Indiana Jones with him and that last show is 4:30. But I wasn't sure I wanted to head in by 3 just to watch the drummers, and then linger until 12:30!

Also, thanks for the tips about the light saber pictures. Where were they taking those?

It takes a while to navigate crowds so I would try to be at the front of the AH line. I remember our mobile check in option didn’t turn green until we were very close to the restaurant. Also budget 1.5 hours for Sci fi (worth it if that’s the only day you can do it). If you’re a party of 2 or 4 you most likely will be seated with another party. Also the wait after check in is usually 15-30 mins. We love their burgers and shakes (pasta has bad reviews). We liked our forward facing car seating better.
Thank you. We have been multiple times. My kid loves watching the bits of movies (I told him we could wath the actual movies... but, he really enjoys the atmosphere). I plan on being at the gate at 6 pm ready to go when they let us.

I had a great time at HS AH last night with no problems whatsoever.

I watched Fantasmic and then between Fantasmic finishing and the end of the night I was able to ride the following:
Rise x 3
MMRR x 2
MFSR x 2
TSMM x 2
Slinky x 1

Slinky had the longest wait of the night but everything else was either walk on or no more than a 5 minute wait. I stopped for a couple of snack breaks and drinks and snacks appeared to be in plentiful supply throughout the night.

Not a popular opinion here, but we went to the MK after hours on the 18th, and we absolutely hated it. I feel like with the genie+you could accomplish just as much, if not more. Something about the vibe I just didn’t like. also not that I have cared about the free snacks, but there were no carts to be seen. Well, there were a couple and when we approached them for water, they said that they were out of water to get them on Main Street and when we went to Main Street, there was nobody around. After it was over, we found out they closed the monorail so the only way to get back to the car was to get on the boat which they packed us in like sardines. We didn’t get back to our hotel until after 2:30 AM. I’m not sure what parents of small children are thinking when they go to these events as I saw many children very cranky and crying not having a good time.. somebody even had an infant, which I thought was completely ridiculous

Not a popular opinion here, but we went to the MK after hours on the 18th, and we absolutely hated it. I feel like with the genie+you could accomplish just as much, if not more. Something about the vibe I just didn’t like. also not that I have cared about the free snacks, but there were no carts to be seen. Well, there were a couple and when we approached them for water, they said that they were out of water to get them on Main Street and when we went to Main Street, there was nobody around. After it was over, we found out they closed the monorail so the only way to get back to the car was to get on the boat which they packed us in like sardines. We didn’t get back to our hotel until after 2:30 AM. I’m not sure what parents of small children are thinking when they go to these events as I saw many children very cranky and crying not having a good time.. somebody even had an infant, which I thought was completely ridiculous

I can appreciate your post. I’ve been amazed at all the positive AH posts recently as we went to one in March of last year at DHS, and
vowed I would never do one again. There were only a couple of snack carts which were hard to find and all with very long lines, And though we were able to do Rise once, walking all the way through the line took a very long time so we lost a lot of time there and the wait for Slinky was too long at the end of the night so we bagged it. Also, no characters or any other activity.

In addition, we were staying at Boardwalk and had planned to take the boat over, but found out at the last minute that the boats weren’t running to the event, so we walked but were too tired to walk all the way back at the end of the evening. But waited over 20 minutes for a bus to show up at 12:30 am and finally gave up and called an Uber. I honestly wouldn’t do one again as I find the deluxe resort extra evening hours to be a much better use of time (plus free!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter