• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

After Magic Express...

Uju'sMom

Mouseketeer
Hi All...

For people who depend on the Magic Express service to get from MCO to the Resorts and back...what's PlanB after Magic Express suspends its services?
Uber? How much is the general rate
Train? When will it start running and how much will it be?

I felt like the Magic Express was a great introduction and conclusion - Interested to see what other options exist, at what cost.

Thank you in advance.

Mears Transportation is the company that currently runs the Magic Express. They have already announced that they will offer a service after Magical Express ends, for a fee, of course. Before the Magical Express, Mears offered shuttles for a fee. (Way back in 1976 it was like $12 per person, round trip.).

The train route hasn't even begun. It won't be ready until maybe 2023. Uber and Lyft depends on their "surge" pricing. Currently, its been posted anywhere from $35 to as high as $150. Rumor also has it that Disney Minnie vans may come back. The last time they ran from resort to airport their cost was a flat $150, plus tip.

We're using the Mears service next year as part of our package; we're coming from the UK and they always give us the option to pay for Mears but we always went with ME because it was a) free and b) more direct. It's costing us £60 for the two of us round trip so not sure if that's reflective of what Mears will be offering directly or not.

Well, off site is looking better and better. I still have to wonder what Disney was thinking by canceling the Magical Express. I never, ever would have considered off site had they not done that (plus other amenities they have taken away for on site guests).

So to answer, that is my Plan B…stay off site for way cheaper than on site and use the savings toward my Uber.

Mears Transportation is the company that currently runs the Magic Express. They have already announced that they will offer a service after Magical Express ends, for a fee, of course. Before the Magical Express, Mears offered shuttles for a fee. (Way back in 1976 it was like $12 per person, round trip.).

The train route hasn't even begun. It won't be ready until maybe 2023. Uber and Lyft depends on their "surge" pricing. Currently, its been posted anywhere from $35 to as high as $150. Rumor also has it that Disney Minnie vans may come back. The last time they ran from resort to airport their cost was a flat $150, plus tip.
Crazy prices for someone on a budget :-(

Well, off site is looking better and better. I still have to wonder what Disney was thinking by canceling the Magical Express. I never, ever would have considered off site had they not done that (plus other amenities they have taken away for on site guests).

So to answer, that is my Plan B…stay off site for way cheaper than on site and use the savings toward my Uber.
Problem with offsite - I will still need to uber back and forth to the parks. Those costs will add up.

Honestly, we stopped taking ME years ago....we grab a Uber after grabbing our luggage and it's always been a very quick and easy process with little to no waiting, and a direct drop to our resort. Yes times are changing and things can take a bit longer currently, but we plan on continuing on doing it this way.
If Uber/Lyft starts to become difficult to grab we will go with car service, which is what we did before ME or Uber were a thing anyway.

While the ME bus was fine for getting to WDW from the Orlando airport what I will really miss is the luggage going directly to my room. That was a game changer.
I'd get on my flight in park attire and go directly to the parks. No time at all spent at the resort. Now I'll have to deal with the bags before going to the park.

I'm waiting for the details on the Mears Connect. I still live in carseat land, so I really don't want to rent a car or deal with Uber/Lyft.

We used DME for our most recent Disney trip and in the past before it was available and/or we were staying off-site, we would rent a car. Renting a car for us gives the most flexibility in where we decide to eat/shop/sightsee since we usually aren't at Disney the entire time.

That train is YEARS away if it ever happens. Things that are just in the TALKING stages are far from being implemented, certainly not 1/1/22. If the train stops at Disney Springs as I have seen reported in some places, there is still the logistical issue of getting from there to your hotel. Certainly not anything to consider an option until (of IF) it becomes reality.

I don't think the train is ever really going to be a viable option - most recent reports are it won't be completed until 2025 or later. Not to mention, you'd still have to figure out how to get from Disney Springs to your resort with luggage, and Disney doesn't allow you on the buses with luggage

As for what we're going to do, we're going to play it by ear - we may move to going off site and renting a car (assuming those costs finally come down), or we'll consider the replacement Mears is offering as long as it's a reasonable price or we may decide to do Uber/Lyft.

We are going in spring 2022, and have always used ME. I'm not going to pretend I'm not super bitter that the service has been discontinued, but I've done some research and found that there are lots of car services in the area you can use for less than $100 round trip. That's probably what we'll wind up doing unless Mears prices are a lot better. If they're even in the same ballpark, I would opt for the private car since there would be no stops at other resorts like on ME - just straight from the airport to the hotel. Uber/Lyft aren't an option for us bc 2 kids with carseats.

I used DME and I've done a rental.

I prefer not to drive on vacation and, like someone else said it's the darn luggage service that I'll miss most.

Since I'm usually solo, a shuttle or uber will probably be the most cost efficient, but I have to admit I'd be tempted to just spring for a car service.

Bonus being that most car services will include a grocery stop.

^^ Lots of transportation proposals get developed all over the country and many never get implemented. Issues about cost/timing/availability of land/environmental impacts/etc. cause many of them to fail. I couldn't open the Orlando Journal article since I am not a subscriber but suspect much the same there. If something is being proposed to start construction in 2024, it can still fall apart and never happen.

^^ Lots of transportation proposals get developed all over the country and many never get implemented. Issues about cost/timing/availability of land/environmental impacts/etc. cause many of them to fail. I couldn't open the Orlando Journal article since I am not a subscriber but suspect much the same there. If something is being proposed to start construction in 2024, it can still fall apart and never happen.
Yes, Miami to MCO is under construction, but the extension to WDW & Tampa certainly could still fall apart. Brightline seems to have their act together, but some local politicians are unhappy that the line will not go to the Convention Center. There are certain agreements that the state is requiring Brightline to complete by the end of July or risk losing their right to use the I-4 ROW, so we should know more later this month.

But once again, this train is not designed to carry passengers between the airport & WDW. It may do so incidentally, but service will be once an hour at most, and is intended to carry people between Miami, Orlando, and Tampa.

We’ve been using Tiffany Towncars for over 10 years and have been very happy! We have recommended that friends use them and they all have been happy with them as well.

I'm actually disgusted with the discontinuation of Magical Express. As a single parent, having the ability to enter the Magic when my flight arrived; not have to deal with luggage or driving or car seats (when my kids were little) - made Disney our favorite place.

We have been out of state Passholders twice with about 20 trips in the past several years, but when our passes expire, we are done with Disney for a while. We've always stayed on site for Magical Express, early/late hours, FastPass booking - and now all those things are gone. I just can't justify the expense for a company that continues to take things away - but still maintains their bloated price point for resorts and tickets. I'll miss Disney terribly, but there are plenty of other travel options that have a much higher value for the dollar, and are more that willing to work hard to treat their customer base well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter