After your sleep study, were you diagnosed with Sleep Apnea?

After your sleep study, did you end up being diagnosed with Sleep Apnea?

• Yes

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters
...I was put on a CPAP and have used it every night since. My wife says I don't snore now. However, I don't feel any more rested. In fact, I think I sleep less because I usually wake up 1-2 times/night caught in the hose...

Look into one of these:
CPAP Hose Hook

My DH says it's one of the best things he bought for his!

OP, I know two people who have had a sleep study, and both were diagnosed. One (DH) was having a lot of symptoms - snoring, daytime sleepiness & grouchiness, weight gain, heart trouble. His was severe, and the CPAP has really helped him!

The other (step-mom) went for snoring, but didn't tolerate the CPAP and stopped using it. She ended up getting her hip and knee fixed, was in less pain at night, and now sleeps a little better anyway.

So if most were put on CPAPs, that means some weren't. So presumably their apnea, if they had it was mild. As PP said, in most cases, apnea is going to be suspected which would prompt the sleep study.

I had a sleep study in March and was diagnosed w/apnea. I was put on a CPAP and have used it every night since. My wife says I don't snore now. However, I don't feel any more rested. In fact, I think I sleep less because I usually wake up 1-2 times/night caught in the hose. If it wasn't for DW, I wouldn't use the CPAP.

I agree that when people have symptoms, they should get tested. Tested, for what is my issue. In my case, I'm quickly scheduled for a sleep study but maybe other tests should be considered first, or at least at the same time. I just feel like the sleep study has become the standard with very little oversight. Then boom, you're tethered to this machine for the rest of your life.

I can absolutely understand sleeping with that hose and mask would be hard to deal with. I sleep fine and I'm going to be irate, if I start waking up several times a night.

My DH said if they recommend a CPAP, with my mild symptoms, he doesn't think I should bother using it.

My SIL and their doctor thought my nephew had sleep apnea. After his sleep study, it was determined that he didn't, but his tonsils needed to be removed. I guess this is unusual for an (almost) adult.

That's exactly what I feel like is happening. People are sent for sleep studies and then there are other solutions for their problems.

Look into one of these:
CPAP Hose Hook

OP, I know two people who have had a sleep study, and both were diagnosed. One (DH) was having a lot of symptoms - snoring, daytime sleepiness & grouchiness, weight gain, heart trouble. His was severe, and the CPAP has really helped him!

The other (step-mom) went for snoring, but didn't tolerate the CPAP and stopped using it. She ended up getting her hip and knee fixed, was in less pain at night, and now sleeps a little better anyway.

My issue is that my only symptom is snoring. So, the first and only diagnostic recommended is a sleep study. Why not recommend any other alternative that might not be so life altering or so long term?

This isn't a conspiracy to get everyone on cpaps.
I sure can see where people think it IS a conspiracy. DW and DD have done the studies, they don't have Sleep Apnea.
My Doctor had me have a brain CT scan, EKG, echocardiogram, and wear a heart monitor for 24 hours while keeping a diary of my "activities". Sleep study was next, but all those tests (and talking to my wife who says she has never heard me stop breathing, but does say the only way she can tell if I AM breathing while asleep is by looking to see if the covers are moving!) convinced him that wasn't needed.
But I am waiting to see a dermatologist to make sure I don't have any skin cancer issues (just to be sure because I am 62).
My Doctor's standard response when the test comes back negative "at least we have a base line now".......and I have an empty bank account with my $6,000 deductible health insurance

Well this is what I hoped to discover. In my experience, no one that had been tested had been told they did not have apnea. Most were put on CPAP machines with no follow-up required.
Again, this is because most doctors won't order a sleep study unless a person is exhibiting symptoms of sleep apnea or needs a pre-op. So, since the tests are being ordered on people who are exhibiting signs, your results are going to skew to having Sleep Apnea.

Your results would be much different if you walked into a random room and had everyone have a sleep study whether or not they are exhibiting symptoms. IF random people who never showed any symptoms were then told they needed a CPAP, then you could entertain a conspiracy theory.

Your question would have better results if you asked if any doctors randomly ordered sleep tests when a patient had no symptoms of sleep apnea and then diagnosed them with sleep apnea.

My issue is that my only symptom is snoring. So, the first and only diagnostic recommended is a sleep study. Why not recommend any other alternative that might not be so life altering or so long term?
So what other alternatives are there? You mentioned having tonsils removed earlier... mine have been gone for decades. I don't think a CPAP prescription forces you to the CPAP any more than any other prescription. Feel free to ask the doctor if there are other alternatives. It's possible the other alternatives might work, but their success rate is much less than the CPAP.

Look into one of these:
CPAP Hose Hook

I did a quick google search to see how they work and I'm not convinced one would help. Sometimes I'm more comfortable on my right side, some time on my left. If I slept on my back all the time, sure.
I do agree with the OP is I'm basically now tied to this stupid machine for the rest of my life. But, as I said, I'm doing it for DW, not myself.

Snoring is a major indicator of sleep apnea. The snoring must be bothering you or your partner in order to mention it to the doctor. Snoring can be life threatening. Google famous people who have died from "snoring" that was really sleep apnea.

A sleep study is the gold standard to determine sleep apnea. How would they recommend other alternatives if they don't know you have sleep apnea?

For the record, a friend's 19 year old daughter was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The daughter has Down syndrome and sleep apnea is pretty common. Mom is frustrated because the doctor refuses to prescribe a cpap and wants her to try a dental appliance first.

Today's cpaps and masks are comfortable and easy to use. I just spent 14 hours on a plane with my resmed air mini on the plane and a minimal mask. So easy and I could sleep on the plane.

If you are worried about the effects on private time at night, as the nurse told me when fitting me, she has never heard of anyone who had "private time" while sleeping.

I agree that when people have symptoms, they should get tested. Tested, for what is my issue. In my case, I'm quickly scheduled for a sleep study but maybe other tests should be considered first, or at least at the same time. I just feel like the sleep study has become the standard with very little oversight. Then boom, you're tethered to this machine for the rest of your life.

I can absolutely understand sleeping with that hose and mask would be hard to deal with. I sleep fine and I'm going to be irate, if I start waking up several times a night.

My DH said if they recommend a CPAP, with my mild symptoms, he doesn't think I should bother using it.
What symptoms have you reported that is making your doctor concerned enough to order a sleep study? What other tests do you suggest? Have you researched other tests and asked the doctor is they would be appropriate for your symptoms?

Free will is one of the glorious tenets of this country. If you don't agree with the doctor's findings, no one can make you use a cpap. Get a second opinion if you don't trust your doctor's findings. If you are already questioning his assessments, sounds like you need a new doctor anyway.

How is it life altering? You are, literally, just wearing a mask when you sleep.

DH had snoring as his only symptom. Went for sleep study and his apnea was incredible...I can't recall how often he actually stopped breathing, but it was a high number. I have slept next to him for near 20 years and never noticed the stopping breathing...cuz I was sleeping.

The CPAP has saved his life, and our marriage. I can manage to be next to him in bed now.

did sleep study twice. First time it was inconclusive HOWEVER with the thousands of wires and stuff hooked up to me, it was difficult to actually sleep. Did an at home test a few years later and was told I have it, so went to a second sleep study and they basically put me on a CPAP right away during it and improved my sleep....a bit?

I use it all the time, but I feel like it's very hit or miss on whether I feel rested.

DH and I have both had multiple sleep studies over the years as we have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Recently I was talking with someone who did share that following a recent sleep study that they were told that they do not have sleep apnea. Unfortunately I cannot recall the reason for the study or what the later outcome was. I do know that it was an at home sleep study instead of in clinic/hospital one like we've had. From what I've heard the results of at home studies are more mixed.

I had a sleep study done 15 plus years ago and didn't have sleep apnea. After a heart attack and weight gain, I had another sleep study done about 10 years ago and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have used the cpap machine every day for the last 10 years. I couldn't sleep without the cpap.

Your question would have better results if you asked if any doctors randomly ordered sleep tests when a patient had no symptoms of sleep apnea and then diagnosed them with sleep apnea.

Thank you, but I'm getting the results I want.

My only symptom is snoring. A vast majority of people snore. Perhaps my Dr. should have requested a ENT visit prior to a sleep study. Much less costly route for me. Now, I'm insisting on one to look at issues that may explain my snoring before I tether myself to a CPAP.

I read an interesting article that said their has been a 50% increase of people that are diagnosed with sleep apnea. Well, it's because they're testing more.

How is it life altering? You are, literally, just wearing a mask when you sleep.

DH had snoring as his only symptom. Went for sleep study and his apnea was incredible...I can't recall how often he actually stopped breathing, but it was a high number. I have slept next to him for near 20 years and never noticed the stopping breathing...cuz I was sleeping.

The CPAP has saved his life, and our marriage. I can manage to be next to him in bed now.

I'm confident that wearing a mask while I sleep is going to alter my life. You say DH is using one, but have you ever worn it?

I've just completed a sleep study and I have been asking my Dr. some questions about it. Those questions led me to wonder if anyone has ever done a sleep study where results have definitively ruled out Sleep Apnea.

I went into my study with the assumption I had narcolepsy but was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My son had a sleep study because we thought me might have apnea but he did not.

What symptoms have you reported that is making your doctor concerned enough to order a sleep study? What other tests do you suggest? Have you researched other tests and asked the doctor is they would be appropriate for your symptoms?

Free will is one of the glorious tenets of this country. If you don't agree with the doctor's findings, no one can make you use a cpap. Get a second opinion if you don't trust your doctor's findings. If you are already questioning his assessments, sounds like you need a new doctor anyway.

My one symptom is snoring on occasion, not every night, not even every week. I don't have daytime sleepiness. I don't have high blood pressure. I don't stop breathing. I don't have a dry mouth or sore throat. I absolutely don't have any issues other occasional snoring.

Sure, I do have free will but meanwhile I'm bleeding cash while I exercise my will.

So what other alternatives are there? You mentioned having tonsils removed earlier... mine have been gone for decades. I don't think a CPAP prescription forces you to the CPAP any more than any other prescription. Feel free to ask the doctor if there are other alternatives. It's possible the other alternatives might work, but their success rate is much less than the CPAP.

There are surgeries, for one. I have heard there is positional apnea, so you could use something that would prevent you from sleeping in that position. Perhaps someone would be better served by medication for severe allergies

Oh, I have already asked my Dr. so many questions, that I think he's considering dropping me as a patient!

I really think the use of CPAP should be indicated as the treatment, when there are a number of substantial instances where you cease breathing but that isn't the case for me. So, I'm looking for alternatives. I think that information is going to be hard to discover talking to the Dr. that runs the sleep clinic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter