Age difference of kids...

Pooh99

Earning My Ears
Hi All...
I apologize if this has been brought up recently. (I just found this site.) I am trying to plan our trip to WDW. We will probably only get to have one of these while my kids are young. Are planning on going in November.

My kids will be 10 and almost 5 when we go. I wonder if my almost 5 year old will even remember the trip but I would like to go while my 10 year old still wants to vacation with us....:D

Any tips for making the trip memorable for different age children?
Thanks.

My children are 4 and 16. Don't worry about your youngest not remembering, he will. We have been to The World 6 times and my youngest still remember things that had happened his first trip. He was 2.

Don't know if you are with another adult but if you are this is what me and my husband has done.

We always hit the parks at opening, early PS for lunch, we take turns with youngest nap/rest break (pool and a nap) while the other 2 do something else, meet up around 6pm, do a counter service dinner, and close the park.

That way the youngest is refreshed and not crabbing. They both get one to one time.

well, weve been when our kids were 1&6, and we just got back and they are 3&nearly 9. Go! My 3 year old doesnt remember having gone before and he wont remember this trip for long, but his enjoyment was wonderful! My older son had a blast and it was so heart warming to see him intereact with his brother.

Yes i only have vague memories of being there when I was 4 or 5, but my parents still have great ones and i know i had a great time!

I have a sister that doesn't take her little ones places like Disneyland (they live in Southern California) because "it would be a waste of money because they are too little to remember."

We have been taking our children on trips since they were quite little and I have to say, whether they remember or not, I have enjoyed visiting these places with them because I see everything through new eyes. Our first visit to WDW with the kids was when they were 3 and 4. We have our photos, but for me, having been there many times prior, it was a totally new experience and one I wouldn't have missed for the world.

I really don't think a child is "too young" for any type of travel as long as we as parents enjoy having them with us and spending time with them. It's not just about memories for your child, but for you as well.

Have a great time.

Hi,

First let me say that anything you do with the two kids on your first trip will be magical, memerable and enjoyable for ALL.

First time my ds was 4 yrs and my dd 8 mths it was a completely magical experience for him, he still remembers things that happened on that trip. Ds just looked around in wide eyed amazement from my arms or in HER stroller (felt she would be more comfortable in her own as opposed to the rentals) she spent many hours sleeping as we pushed her all over the parks. We decided to go back when we thought those same magical years were for my dd (between 3 and 5 yrs old).

Next trip ds was 7 dd was 4 AND dd was 6 months old. Magical all over again. Of course there were attractions that only ds and I could get on ( dh not fond of roller coasters or tower of terror ) but 2 dds and dh waited on the exits of those and most of the attractions we went on as a family even 6 month old, who of course looked in wide eyed amazement.

We have since gone every year for the past five years, it is sometimes a little boring for ds now 12 years old when we drag him on it's a small world. But the fact that he still goes on at all tells me he's still enjoying some part of it. I'd like to think perhaps it is watching his little sisters or maybe it's telling them to look for certain things in there like the hyenas or the surfer boy. Or looking for Mr. Toad handing over the DEED in the POOH Ride, anyway a promise that after the little ones go to the room a trip to Disney Quest is in store for him usually keeps him co-operative during the day.

Sorry so long but I got on a roll. Can't wait til August..

Our last rip my kids were 15 yrs, 12 yrs, 2.5 yrs and 5 months. We all had a great time. My oldest kids still like to go and the little had fun. Our next trip will be in Oct and each kid will be a year older. We did hit the attractions the little ones would like as well as hitting attractions for the older kids.

Hello Pooh99 welcome to the DIS! :)

Everyone is correct in saying the 5 yr old will rememeber!!

If you have another adult with you and the 5 yr old is too short to ride but the 10 yr wants to,do it. Don't limit the 10 yr. old because you have a smaller child with you.The 10 yr.old will have to compromise and do some stuff they might think as a baby ride...although my 2 boys at 9 and 10 still LOVE everything even Small World!! LOL!

Do a character meal.Kids of all ages love these.In EPCOT stop by the Kidcot stations.I think they'll both like doing these too.

My three DD have all been to Disney since they were each about a year old! We've always loved our family trips!

For our last trip, my two teenagers would often go off on their own or with their Dad; my 6 yr old and I would do Disney our way (no rides with big drops!)!! We'd all meet up for lunch or dinner. The older girls always did Fantasyland with us at least once - they'd never miss a ride on Dumbo!!! By the time Allison was asking to ride the Caroussel for the one hundredth time, it was time to split up! We always went back to the room for our nap/swim break, and always had our lunch/dinner together! And sometimes my DH would take Allison on Buzz for the tenth time while I went off with the older two girls! It gave everybody a great chance to be together and do things on our own - and still have a great family vacation!

Although I'm the only one who really lurks around on the Disboards, my DH and 2 DDs were in line for RNR in December and saw some lime green ribbons! They all got to talking and laughing and had a great time! The girls couldn't wait to find me to say they met some fellow Disers!!!

I seem to be full of questions today first the Weight Watcher thing and now Lime Green Ribbons?????

Please explain?

We have a ten year age span- kids are 15, 11, 7 and 5. We just make it work. My DH and two older DD's are coaster freaks- they tend to go off for a while. I am guessing that my 7 year old DS will join them soon. That leaves 5 year old DD to still ride It's a Small World with me....how I dread the day when even she abandons me!

My 5 year old's first trip was when she was 9 months old. My grandmother bought us into DVC and we have been back at least once a year ever since. Last summer she looked up at me in the middle of a conversation and said "You mean some people DON'T go to Disney every year?"....she didn't know that you COULD go on vacation any where else!

Val

That was cute from your 5 year old. It is so funny in our house it's like 9 months or so from the last trip and everyone starts asking "so when is our disney trip this year?"

I love going as much as they do so I start planning. They don't know about this trip yet though.

LOL

I think (I could be wrong though) that people on the Disboards will wear a lime green ribbon when at WDW to identify themselves as such ... so if you want to meet others from the boards, wear a lime green ribbon and be on the look-out for others wearing them.

Thanks TP

I guess I'll give it a whirl I'm always looking to add a new dimention to our dis vacas. Not that they are ever boring but I keep the kids and dh guessing on what could mom come up with now, kind of thing.

I really like the idea of a scavenger hunt at the parks.

can't wait... :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter